S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Anyone remember Manno's Pizza in Lakewood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
Anyone remember Manno's Pizza in Lakewood?

Hello all,

When I was a kid, growing up in Whittier, my dad would take the family to Manno's Pizza once or twice a year. My memory is very sketchy, but I believe it was located on South Street somewhere. I have tried looking it up today, but there are no listings for it. It has been about 50 years so there is a good chance it is no longer in business. It was family owned, and they never expanded, preferring to keep the one location. My dad knew the owner (Joe Manno) from his military days. They had two dining areas. One a well lit area of booths, and another dark area with murals of Italy on the walls, and black lights illuminating them. With a fireplace right in the center of the room.They also had small red candle holders on each table with a lit candle. When we went, we always sat in the dark area. Those details I remember, and I am pretty sure it was located on South Street, but don't remember any cross street. I have done a Google search for it, and a Google maps search of Lakewood, but don't see it. (There is a Manno's Pizza in Maine, however, I seriously doubt it is related to the one I am thinking of.) So, I was just wondering if anyone remembers that place beside me (and my brother, who brought the subject up relatively recently). Neither of my parents are alive to ask, so I figure I would post the question to you all. One thing I will never forget is the taste of their pizza. I don't think I have had any better since.

Jim

Old 12-06-2015, 09:48 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Here ya go Jim.
Manno?s Italian Restaurant - CLOSED - Italian - 5607 South St - Lakewood, CA - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

You missed your chance by a few years.

Never heard of it myself, but then, Lakewood is a long way to go for a Pizza so I would not likely have known of it.

Good memory you have of the street. South St it was.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
That is interesting. My brother sent me an email telling me he had found info on the Internet regarding it. I didn't find anything when I Googled it except for a Manno's in Missouri, and one in Massachusetts. Thanks for the link. It has been at least 30 years since I have been there. I went once after I got out of the service, some time in the mid 80's I would imagine. I am sure it was a long way to go for a pizza, but my dad knew the owner from his military days, so we would go once or twice a year.

BTW, thanks for the post. My brother mentioned the new owner as well, so I am guessing he was able to pull up the same info.

Jim