Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 PM
New User

dadriva is starting off with a positive reputation.
**Update / Fixed**Turn Signal fast blink problem / 4 ways work normal

2008 F250 PSD

Turn signals are blinking fast like a bulb is out for BOTH right and left turns. All bulbs checked and good.

Recon side markers installed in tow mirrors and worked fine for a year or so. Started blowing 15A fuse for fog lights and side markers about a month ago and this would coincide with fast blinking. After fuse was fixed problem solved until fuse blew again.

Due to fuse blowing a couple times I finally checked connections in mirrors for side marker / turn signals and found corroded connection on drivers side. Sanded, cleaned and re-installed with new fuse and checked all 4 LEDs in the RECON side markers.

4 way flashers blink at normal speed.

STILL have fast blink issue with turn signals.....

Help!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Somewhere in the system you have a too much electricity going to your flasher module. LEDs can cause that, but you said they have been working fine for a year. I cant tell you where this is happening but youre just going to have to trace ever wire back.

You say that when you turn on the 4 way its fine. I'm assuming you mean the emergency flashers. That is normal when a bulb is out too, ie getting too much energy. Everything you are saying leads me to believe that your flasher module is getting too much power.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65 View Post
Somewhere in the system you have a too much electricity going to your flasher module. LEDs can cause that, but you said they have been working fine for a year. I cant tell you where this is happening but youre just going to have to trace ever wire back.

You say that when you turn on the 4 way its fine. I'm assuming you mean the emergency flashers. That is normal when a bulb is out too, ie getting too much energy. Everything you are saying leads me to believe that your flasher module is getting too much power.
Trey, thanks for your reply..

By "4 ways" I mean the emergency flashers. I do not know / can't remember if the the turn signals illuminate on the mirrors when the emergency flashers are on. Can anyone confirm / deny for me?

If they do not, then that isolates my problem to the mirror turn signals as causing the fast flashing with only the turn signals and not the 4 ways.

All bulbs are in good working order...still stumped..........
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Elder User

lakedweller is starting off with a positive reputation.
The flashers are different for the turn signals, I think. It could be just the flasher, put a heavy duty in it's place, if you don't have one anyway.
2006 Golfstream Sedona, 34', 5th Wheel, Reese Sidewinder pin box
Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Elder User

pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Get a multimeter and check the load. The flasher subroutine on the control module Is VERY finicky. You may have to add a resistor to each of the mirror LED's.
'12 Transit Connect Java Van
I don't get muddy, don't get dusty, don't pull trailers, but do play in the snow and ice.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post
The flashers are different for the turn signals, I think. It could be just the flasher, put a heavy duty in it's place, if you don't have one anyway.
Where is the turn signal "flasher" located?

Is it in the under hood fuse box?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Senior User

Trey is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my old truck they would always flash faster when either a bulb was burnt, or the little metal flasher dealey-ma-bobber in the fusebox was getting ready to go. Have you checked those basic items?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
On my old truck they would always flash faster when either a bulb was burnt, or the little metal flasher dealey-ma-bobber in the fusebox was getting ready to go. Have you checked those basic items?
I've done all of the basics like checking lights, bulbs, fuses, connections, etc...

Trying to find the little metal flasher dealey-ma-bobber to see if it is still good but do not know where it is located.

Does the one relay control BOTH the emergency flashers (hazard lights / 4 ways) and the turn signals on this truck?

Thanks again
Old 06-10-2011, 09:40 AM
New User

Update / more info

I just went out and put the OEM bulbs in the tow mirror parking light and blinker locations for both left and right.

The parking lights illuminate but the blinkers do not work (just like the RECONs) so that eliminates the LEDs being the issue and also confirms that it is a blinker issue. I suppose the blinkers are flashing quickly because the mirrors are not working so the system is thinking that there is a bulb out on both mirrors.

There is a fuse for "fog lights / side markers" I've checked it multiple times and it is good. The fog lights DO work so I suppose that the fuse is working but I keep coming back to that......

frustration.....
Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Trying to find the little metal flasher dealey-ma-bobber to see if it is still good but do not know where it is located.
it's because they aren't used anymore.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Elder User

wizardsr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wizardsr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
it's because they aren't used anymore.
Exactly. In 08 Ford changed the superduties to have the computer doing the flashing, so there's no longer a mechanical flasher.

Fix your turn signals in the mirrors, or better yet, get rid of the recon lamps and replace them with the factory lamps. I've had more trouble with overpriced recon garbage... It wouldn't surprise me if you've got bad LED's in both mirrors, as recon uses really cheap LED's that don't last very long. I've replaced several in my recon LED 3rd brake light, complete waste of money!

Edit: Just reread your post. I'm betting the bcm saw a short in the recon LED's and disabled the circuit. The dealer can reset it for you so they work again. Welcome to the world of computer controlled lights!

05 F350 pickup V10, 03 F350 flatbed V10, 03 F550 V10, 01 F250 5.4, 97 F150 4.6, 2011 Subaru Outback
Old 06-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Elder User

lakedweller is starting off with a positive reputation.
Makes sense that they control them by the computer now not flashers, boy do I feel old.....
2006 Golfstream Sedona, 34', 5th Wheel, Reese Sidewinder pin box
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
New User

Ok I think I am at the point of going to the stealership as I have done every bit of troubleshooting that I can think of.

I am weary of the dealer as my truck is spartan tuned, no dpf, etc... maybe I'll just remove the dashdaq and hope they don't care enough to look underneath.

So I call and tell them to re-flash my turn signals? That just sounds funny and it seems they'll act like I have 5 eyes or something....

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I'll report back with results..Thanks for all the insight
Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Elder User

wizardsr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wizardsr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadriva View Post
Ok I think I am at the point of going to the stealership as I have done every bit of troubleshooting that I can think of.

I am weary of the dealer as my truck is spartan tuned, no dpf, etc... maybe I'll just remove the dashdaq and hope they don't care enough to look underneath.

So I call and tell them to re-flash my turn signals? That just sounds funny and it seems they'll act like I have 5 eyes or something....

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I'll report back with results..Thanks for all the insight
You're probably outside of your 3/36 warranty anyway, so it shouldn't matter, it's just a normal repair for them, not a warranty job.

05 F350 pickup V10, 03 F350 flatbed V10, 03 F550 V10, 01 F250 5.4, 97 F150 4.6, 2011 Subaru Outback
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM
New User

After a few phone calls to the local stealerships and even explaining the smart junction box idea, some dealers acted like i was crazy and did not know a thing.

I finally called a dealer that does a few more trucks than other local dealers and they agreed to take a look at it but it would be a 2 week wait as they were backlogged.

I printed up the form about the smart junction box and leds and conveniently left it on the drivers seat. 2 hours later its $50 and fixed. The reflash was the problem.

Thanks for all the help and pointing me in the right direction. I thought I was losing my mind.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2002, 97, blinker, blinking, duty, escape, f350, f450, fast, ford, rapid, signal, signals, speed, super, turn