1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Intercooler & Stage 1s

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Intercooler & Stage 1s

How necessary is an intercooler if you're running stage 1s? Minimal heavy towing and RPMs around 2100 or less. Also is there any difference between the 7.3 or 6.0 ICs if they are from an ambulance?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
As long as you don't tow that much you'd be ok, but you won't be able to use all the horsepower either because your temps will get up there quick. Just watch your temp gauge, it will tell you if you need an intercooler!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda like Darin said...

Intercoolers are nice to have but tow in a tow setting or low setting and drive by the EGT gauge if you don't have one...

6.oh intercooler will be bigger and plastic ended.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
I did a tow to central Oregon last month on my Stage 1's. No intercooler. I stared at the pyro most of the way. No problems at all really. The engine will keep making power, but you'll hafta remove your foot before you cook things.

I did find I could hold gears longer and farther, but still ended up in third for the larger/steeper grades. Switching to the "Heavy Tow" setting seemed to keep the temps down.

Got most of the parts, but still need a coupla things for my I/C install. Time mostly...

Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Wink

Originally Posted by redman84
How necessary is an intercooler if you're running stage 1s? Minimal heavy towing and RPMs around 2100 or less. Also is there any difference between the 7.3 or 6.0 ICs if they are from an ambulance?
Jacob in the first pic you can see some differences: (spearco, 6.0 and 7.3) and not all olf the 7.3 are aluminum tanks, in the second pic you can see one 7.3 vs 6.0 (biger), both with plastic tanks

Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
So which would be best to buy the 6.0 or the 7.3? I am assuming the 6.0 being larger would cool more efficiently. Would the install be easier on 6.0 or 7.3, also would the cost of pipes be less or more expensive to install be a factor?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by richdawg
So which would be best to buy the 6.0 or the 7.3? I am assuming the 6.0 being larger would cool more efficiently. Would the install be easier on 6.0 or 7.3, also would the cost of pipes be less or more expensive to install be a factor?
Whichever one you can get your hands on for next to nothing...

For pipes, you can make up your own or mod some 7.3 Superdooty pipes...

Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
Another option no one mentions is using a water injection like the snow performance kits. I don't have experience with them but read an article where it sounds like would have a tripple benefit of cooler intake charge, increased fuel mileage and less fabrication for installation, or need less room to install. Down side is it would be a larger upfront cost.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wildstang
Another option no one mentions is using a water injection like the snow performance kits. I don't have experience with them but read an article where it sounds like would have a tripple benefit of cooler intake charge, increased fuel mileage and less fabrication for installation, or need less room to install. Down side is it would be a larger upfront cost.
Got a link to any articles? Sounds intriguing...

Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Thats a good option but IMO, the IC is first, and always is working, and if you need to decrease more the EGTs for some reason then add a w/m injection kit.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Originally Posted by Awitte58
Got a link to any articles? Sounds intriguing...
Snow Performance Water Methanol Injection Kits

Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 AM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
The issue here is finding a place to constantly be carrying water. It needs to always have some in it. And an intercooler does it's job all the time, slap it on and go...

Intercooler first, If for whatever reason you are still having heat issues, water/meth is a good choice...

Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
Whichever one you can get your hands on for next to nothing...

For pipes, you can make up your own or mod some 7.3 Superdooty pipes...
Or buy the ones on Ebay for $200 bones.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried towing without an IC and it sucked. All kinds of new power and no way to use it. That said, everyone's idea of what is a heavy load, what's a steep or long hill, how fast you need to go, etc. are different. I'd say go try it and see how you do. Worst case you end up slowing down, shifting down, and turning down your chip till you're close to or at stock power again. You'll get there, you just won't do it nearly as fast.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Thats a good option but IMO, the IC is first, and always is working, and if you need to decrease more the EGTs for some reason then add a w/m injection kit.
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
The issue here is finding a place to constantly be carrying water. It needs to always have some in it. And an intercooler does it's job all the time, slap it on and go...

Intercooler first, If for whatever reason you are still having heat issues, water/meth is a good choice...

I told you