6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

dpf/cat delete question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 PM
cglenn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dpf/cat delete question

I have an '08 6.4L which is completely stock including the latest 1123b flash from Ford. My question is it possible to do a dpf/cat delete and ONLY turn off the regen with a tuner and maintain ALL other stock programming including the latest tightened protection parameters of the 1123B flash ? If so what programmer?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by cglenn
I have an '08 6.4L which is completely stock including the latest 1123b flash from Ford. My question is it possible to do a dpf/cat delete and ONLY turn off the regen with a tuner and maintain ALL other stock programming including the latest tightened protection parameters of the 1123B flash ? If so what programmer?
Spartan with DPF-deleted and stock programming tune...

There are others, but why bother!

/thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 PM
DSTRBD
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cglenn
Yes, I would go with the H&S XRT Pro Package and leave it on the stock setting.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Yep, the Spartan and the H&S are the most popular on this forum. But, they are a very expensive investment if all you want to do is delete the DPF and leave everything else stock. I suggest you do some research on the subject. I'm considering doing the same thing and I'm finding a number of other tuners that claim they can do it at about half the price of the custom tuners. They are canned tunes and not capable of much expansion, but as I study them I am becomming convinced they will do the job on the stock setting. But, I'm also learning that anything that increases HP and torque substancially should be accompnied by a tranny tune. Thats the advantage of Spartan and H&S. They also tune the tranny. If you Google DPF delete/tuners or look on ebay you will get some ideas. I have no first hand experience with any of them but I have a lead on an Edge evolution and I'm seriously considering giving it a try.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Look at the cost. The cost of the DPF-R chip dealio isn't much less than an XRT Pro and then you have a company (H&S) who stands behind their products and gives you free updates as they make their software better and better.

H&S mini max owner. Best money I've ever spent on a vehicle. If you want pricing, send DSTRB a PM. His shop, Performance Truck Products, will get you hooked up with what you need, answer any questions, and provide you the best package deal around.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 AM
bushman134
Freshman User
XRT pro here and the cost more than justifies what you get. All their tunes are free and they are constantly updating. If EVER in the future you think you will want more power go with an H&S or Spartan. Also what will happen to a cheap tuner if Ford comes out with another flash ? Both H&S and Spartan were ahead of all the other companies taking care of their customers after the last one. JMHO

Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
JOE33060
Freshman User
I have the XRT Pro and dpf delete and I only did it about 400 miles ago. Ronin was very helpful to me trying to get the right setting. I didn't want faster I just wanted better fuel mileage and to treat my truck better. I pull a 13000lb RV and I now have the tuner set to Mild which is about 80 hp and seems to be fine. I haven't pulled the RV yet but I think it will be beter than stock.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
1FastGambler
Senior User
I spent months researching and although Spartan is the most expensive, I beleive that since I want to be able to keep an eye on EGT's and other paramaters, Spartan is the best.... Soooo... I Just ordered the Spartan & downpipe back exhaust! I will add a cold air intake and cold side pipe in a few months.

I can hardly wait! If I get a 2mpg increase it will pay for itself in less than a year, but that's NOT why I decided to come over to the dark side. The biggest reasons are because of the stupid turbo lag and everytime I'm 2 blocks from the house it goes into regen mode. I know these products will drastically add to the life of my engine.

I thank all the knowledgable people on this site for sharing your experiences and knowledge!

Cheers!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1FastGambler
...but that's NOT why I decided to come over to the dark side...
You've chosen wisely, but I know the REAL reason why you came over to the Dark Side...

We have cookies!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by 1FastGambler
I spent months researching and although Spartan is the most expensive, I beleive that since I want to be able to keep an eye on EGT's and other paramaters, Spartan is the best.... Soooo... I Just ordered the Spartan & downpipe back exhaust! I will add a cold air intake and cold side pipe in a few months.

I can hardly wait! If I get a 2mpg increase it will pay for itself in less than a year, but that's NOT why I decided to come over to the dark side. The biggest reasons are because of the stupid turbo lag and everytime I'm 2 blocks from the house it goes into regen mode. I know these products will drastically add to the life of my engine.

I thank all the knowledgable people on this site for sharing your experiences and knowledge!

Cheers!
Good choice, you won't regret it. And btw the cookies are pretty good too!!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM
bushman134
Freshman User
MMMMMMMMMMM Cookies

Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM
babbled
New User
This is something I am pondering to get for my truck. I just bought a F250 08 Job 1 truck. I do not have the 11B23 update yet. I think this is mainly due to me purchasing it used and whoever owned it before probably got the letter.

I am new to this stuff and I have been reading this forum quite a bit trying to get an understanding for everything. So, please have patience if I am asking a stupid question.

I am interested in doing the exact same thing as the OP. I want to get a DFP delete strictly for fuel economy. I am a bit worried about it because I live in California, and the people at the Ford dealer here explained that if I did a DFP delete I would not be able to get it smogged. I am also concerned about being pulled over by CHP or City police for a visual inspection. I live in northern California and law enforcement here is not always easy going.

I did read some on Spartan's website about how their flash works and the Ford dealer confused me a little stating that if the truck is brought in to do warranty work and it is required to be upgraded to a newer flash that I would be losing my current flash. Then if I took it back home I would not be able to re-flash it again. I am not sure how accurate that is cause it makes no sense to me. He did state that if I am going to flash it that I can tell them not to flash the truck, but if a warranty item required it they would not be able to cover it under warranty without doing it.

I am not sure if I can always just take the time to put the DFP back on, and then re-flash to the stock tune that I started with and then take it. Let them do whatever is needed, and then just remove it when I am home again.

If you remove the DFP does that mean it will blow a crazy shot of black smoke when I start up? My dad's older Dodge does that and I was not sure if that would be the case.

I do probably 95% city driving right now due to where I live. Does the DFP delete only help highway miles and for city driving I am just stuck with what it is?

I bought the truck cause we want to get a trailer to go camping again and upgraded from tent camping to a trailer, but I still need to use the truck as my primary vehicle and I work in town. I know the 08 is not the best option for MPG but it was a great deal and only had 20k miles on it when I got it two weeks ago. So, I am mainly looking for a way to improve on it for fuel economy.

Thanks for any help and opinions in advance. =)

Old 06-16-2011, 04:01 PM
bushman134
Freshman User
Removing the DPF will improve MPG and it also increases the life of your engine. regen starts by them injecting diesel into the cylinders on the EXHAUST stroke causing some of it to end up in the oil. This dilutes the oil which is never good for the engine. You have to decide if you can remove the DPF and also be prepared to put it back on for warranty work. Flashing the truck back to stock before a dealer visit is mandatory to keep your tuner and tunes usable. Just some friendly advice

Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 PM
1FastGambler
Senior User
Sweet! I'll bring the Milk for the cookies!

My truck is due for new tires too, but I'm going to wait until after I get the tuner/dpf.... and then.. I'm going to leave some serious black marks on my neighbors driveway... sort of a Hatfield & McCoy's type deal... and then... I'll get new tires!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 PM
bushman134
Freshman User
LOL .............

Quick Reply: dpf/cat delete question