1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you wish Ford would have done to the Bronco before ending production?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry there Encho... just seems to be such a fitting nickname for the silly little torque monster of a gas engine that it is.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 250sampson
Shoulda done more with the inline six, yea its only a six but its one hell of a powerhouse and will never die if you give it a little love
"Only a six"?

Lol, I take offense to that.

I agree though, the 300 is one awesome motor. And Ford actually WAS doing something with it. A guy over on FordSix.com who used to be a Ford engineer actually has an original cross-flow head designed by Ford that he has on his drag racer. I believe it even had SHO embossed on the side.
They sadly scrapped the project.

But yes, the 300 is definitely something they should have done more with, especially in the Bronco. Broncos, although many use them for them, aren't designed to pull and tow big loads. That's what trucks are for. They're meant for the outdoor/off-road enthusiast. This type of vehicle (at least in my use) requires traveling long distances to get to my off-roading destinations, and then when it does, it needs good old low end torque for those mountain trails. The 300 is perfect for this.
Ford definitely should have really honed in on this engine, created a high output version that balanced power and decent fuel economy, and put it in the Bronco. If I can get 180hp/300tq out of my carb'd 300 and still get 15 - 18mpg, Ford could have definitely done much better with a factory redesigned fuel injected version.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
The Australian 240 actually got a cross-flow head for a while. And yes a 240 head will fit a 300... just tightens up the compression which is rarely a bad thing. Unfortunately, you have to find an Australian willing to ship you one if they have it.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by greystreak92
The Australian 240 actually got a cross-flow head for a while. And yes a 240 head will fit a 300... just tightens up the compression which is rarely a bad thing. Unfortunately, you have to find an Australian willing to ship you one if they have it.
Sadly, it's the 250 that got the crossflow head, not the 240. Completely different engines and 100% incompatible.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Then I've been lied to. (not the first time).

Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broncos can tow. Tow my tractor and my truck as you have may seen

I mean put some weight on the front and put some thicker leaf springs on the back and get a good manual transmission and it can pull anything. ALSO get good brakes.

They can tow, you just have to figure out how to make it where it won't be all over the road when towing heavy stuff.

A pick up is only a little longer than a Bronco but not much.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:03 PM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
Broncos can tow. Tow my tractor and my truck as you have may seen

I mean put some weight on the front and put some thicker leaf springs on the back and get a good manual transmission and it can pull anything. ALSO get good brakes.

They can tow, you just have to figure out how to make it where it won't be all over the road when towing heavy stuff.

A pick up is only a little longer than a Bronco but not much.
Oh they can definitely tow. My point is, they weren't designed with towing in mind. It wasn't their goal, or their market.
Just like an extended cab extended bed truck can off-road. It can do it, and probably do it moderately well, but that's not what it was made for, and you usually don't go out and buy one with that thought in mind.

It's probably why they never put the huge V8s / diesels in the Broncos. Those are usually towing/pulling motors.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Oh they can definitely tow. My point is, they weren't designed with towing in mind. It wasn't their goal, or their market.
Just like an extended cab extended bed truck can off-road. It can do it, and probably do it moderately well, but that's not what it was made for, and you usually don't go out and buy one with that thought in mind.

It's probably why they never put the huge V8s / diesels in the Broncos. Those are usually towing/pulling motors.
Yeah. But during the 70s the F150 4x4s didn't have a big block in them, just the 351 and 302s but they were considered the work truck then.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM
AbandonedBronco
My point was more about the first paragraph.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 PM
fordbroncodave
Senior User
obd2 system and live data. beefy overdrive transmission. better design air filter. dana 60 front end, aluminum tailgate, optional manual glass tailgate, quick topper removal

Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Dave, 95-96 Broncos where OBD2. The aluminum tailgate is a great idea, lower weight and rust-proof to boot.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Might as well go fibreglass with the gate then. And yes they are available. It eliminates the need for the torsion bar inside to assist with lifting to close it. And anyone who has had a tailgate rust enough to release a torsion bar and shatter a back glass knows what a great idea that is.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 PM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by fordbroncodave
beefy overdrive transmission.

Definitely agree with this one.

Not sure what Ford's deal is with strong non-overdrive transmissions and weak overdrive transmissions. About the only one that wasn't was the ZF5, but it didn't come in Broncos.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:04 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Def. agree with the strong overdrive transmission, replacing my e4od now, such a pain

Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Strong overdrive transmission = ZF S5-42. Any unit found originally behind a 300(4.9) will fit behind a 302 or 351W. Not to mention they have identical physical dimensions to an M5OD (Mazda-built) standard 5-speed that was available in the Bronco in stock form. It even uses the same clutch setup as the M5OD.

Quick Reply: What do you wish Ford would have done to the Bronco before ending production?