1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Reviving dad's 74 F100 (one owner truck)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Only update for sunday is, well nothing. I worked 6 hours at my part time job, and my buddy spent 2-3 hours doing yardwork. Between us both being already pretty well worn out from working on the truck till after midnight saturday, then working out in the heat, we decided to just leave it be till another day.
A couple weeks ago, we had temps in 70's for highs, and lots of rain. Now the temps are in the upper 90's, and no hint of rain. That really makes it hard to do much, when the heat sets in like this. Hopefully, the weather will moderate into a more normal pattern soon, and I can get a bit more done in a day.
I'd rather take my time, and do it right. There's still a bit more welding to do before the gearbox can go back in, and I still need to reseal it anyways.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Didn't get to do anything last night, as I got called to cover a shift at work.
This evening, I did get the radius arm bushing installed on the drivers side. It was completely gone. The passenger side still looks ok, so I'm going to hold off on changing it for now, so I can continue working on the frame repair and steering gear reseal. I'll get to it soon though.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bigdaddys76
I doubt that rig hitting it had anything to do with the cracks, its common for these frames to crack at the gear box location

I hope you guys drilled the ends of those cracks, a hole keeps the crack from spreading.

The truck looks good as it is and looking forward to the "bringing it back to life" pics
Somehow, I missed the part about drilling holes in the ends of the cracks.
Only 1 crack didn't end at a pre-existing hole or the edge of the frame rail. That one crack was in a position that drilling it would have been quite difficult. I had planned to drill the ends, but found that Ford had done it back in 74.
What I did do, and is likely overkill, is use a grinder with a thin cutting wheel to open the cracks up about 1/2-2/3 of way thru the frame and taper the outer edges a bit to simulate a bevel on parts that are going to be welded together. This insured deeper penetration, since the cracks were very thin, aside from the one that went from the lower gearbox bolt down around to the edge of the lower flange. That one had opened up a bit wider from rubbing back and forth against each other.
Got a bit more welding done this evening, and got the upper seal removed from the gearbox. The new seal kit is supposed to be here in the morning.
I was surprised at how easy it was to pop out that seal. The outer "dust cap" came off quite easy, and my small needlenose pliers made the snap ring a breeze to remove. Threaded a sheet metal screw into the metal part of the seal and popped it out with pliers.
I'll have to track down my roll of electrical tape, as that stuff works great for wrapping around the splines of the shaft to prevent nicking the seal lip while installing. I last used it sitting right here in the computer chair, but I don't see it laying on the desk. Must have put it back in the toolbox.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Ok, time for a minor update. Haven't been able to do much on the truck as it has been rather hot the entire month of June, until yesterday.
I changed the front brake pads, as they were very near the rivets. In doing so, I re-learned a lesson I had forgot. The caliper slide pin has to come out from the rear. My 80 F150 has the exact same setup, but with the steering linkage in front of the crossmember, I can drive the slides out from the front. On this truck, they hit the nuts on the tie rod ends.....
Surprisingly, the caliper pistons seemed to travel back into the bores fairly easy, and there was no signs of leakage around them. Dad swears the calipers have never been changed nor serviced beyond the typical pad replacement and fluid flush/bleed. best of all, steel pistons. The bleeders were even easy to loosen, snug, but not overly tight. Since I plan to do a full fluid flush, I cracked them open to make retracting the pistons a bit easier, and avoid putting too much fluid back into the master cyl. Flex hoses look original, so they are on the list to replace.

Moved to the rear. Took off LR tire, and drum slipped right off. Shoes looked thick as new, and it was dry as a bone inside, just a bit of dust, mostly from the rusted friction surface of the drums prior to me having drove the truck a couple blocks. Put drum back on, and swapped tire for the chrome wheel that was supposed to be there.
Moved to the RR. Drum didn't want to come off, so I had to back off the adjuster. Surprisingly, it didn't get rusted during the dormant period. Most likely due to the copious amounts of 90W coating everything inside the drum, and the backside of the backing plate...... made finding, and removing the adjuster hole plug quite fun.
Inside the drum, everything looked as good as the other side, just no rust/dust, instead lots of oil. In attempting to clean some of the oil off, I discovered the self adjuster cable laying on top of the shoes. It had broke right at the end that goes over the top pin.
I slid the drum back in place, without said cable laying loose inside.
Will get new shoes and a pair of wheel cyls to go on it soon.

Since the axle has to come out for a seal at least, perhaps a bearing, it brings up a dilema. Do I put the factory 3.25 gears back in, or swap in a set of 3.50 gears from a later model, and use the one piece driveshaft with larger u-joints. 390's were never known for good MPG anyways. Dad tried a set of 3.00 gears, and they didn't help a bit, so I planned on removing them since I have the original 3rd member.
As good as the truck run/pulled with the 3.25, I bet it would be even better with 3.50. Loosing the carrier bearing and 3rd u-joint, along with a larger OD driveshaft and larger u-joints all seem to be a pretty good idea. Having access to an 82 parts truck that is the same wheelbase, and had a C6 & 9" with 3.50 gears seems like it would be just a simple 3rd member/DS swap, without risking the crush sleeve in the 3rd member, unless pinion seal looks suspect. I already have new pinion seal and crush sleeve, since the 3.25 gears were going to be used in my 80, to replace the 2.75.

Thoughts and comments about the gear and DS swap? I can't see any downside to it, other than it won't match the window sticker in the glovebox.......

EDIT: Just noticed I failed to add an update after I resealed the steering gear. It's ready to back in, once the last little bit of welding is done on the frame. Hasn't been any welding done lately, due to the already oppresively hot weather.

Last edited by Rogue_Wulff; 06-22-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added info, and corrected baad spullimg....D'OH!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:13 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Making some good progress. I wish I could have gotten a hold of my dad's old 73 Highboy. None the less, we are building a 74 F100 up to be like his old Highboy. The power of a smike on thier face is purely amazing, I know that you know the feeling.

Nice truck, great story.

Keep up the good work.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
Making some good progress. I wish I could have gotten a hold of my dad's old 73 Highboy. None the less, we are building a 74 F100 up to be like his old Highboy. The power of a smike on thier face is purely amazing, I know that you know the feeling.

Nice truck, great story.

Keep up the good work.
Yeah, Dad is pretty happy about the overall progress. I talked to him for about an hour on the phone just after the last post I made. He understands the unseasonably hot weather has slowed down the progress, but I'm not sure who is more anxious to see it back on the road....
He knows he will never get to drive it again, but he still wants to donate about $100/mo to help cover the cost of keeping it up and legal, so I can drive it over everytime I visit. I just can't seem to make him understand the idea that this truck will get attention no matter what, even if means skipping the light bill occasionally.....
He lives about 25 miles away, so I don't get to drop in quite as often as I would like. However, I still drop in far more often than my sister, who is only 2-2.5 miles from him........
I missed out on visiting him sunday, as I was very ill. Still took the time to call him and chat, he could tell I felt like hammered dog {poo}. Sis hasn't been there or called twice in the last 3-4 months. Her last visit was one I sorta "forced" her to do. Someone had given him a can of lighter fluid for his Zippo. They weren't aware of the fire he accidentally started the last time he got fluid for that dern thing........
It's a shame she's so close, yet hardly ever goes by or even calls him. No wonder he was thrilled when I told him I took the truck from her house, to mine. She let it sit, untouched and untagged, for 3 years. The city threatened to haul it off, or she wouldn't have let me get anywhere near it, like the last 3 years I've been trying to.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go for the 3.50 gears and one piece driveshaft swap. Even he agrees that it makes sense, assuming it all fits like I think it will. It's a 31 spline axle, so that takes care of the only unknown item, in most cases. Having the original pumpkin sitting in the shed sorta helps there. All 1980 and newer 9" truck axles were 31 spline. Besides, I think the 80-86 housing is also a direct swap for a 74, if it comes right down to it.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Ok, major update. The heat wave broke late last night giving me the chance to get some stuff done. Welding on the frame is finished, steering gear is back in place and fully hooked up, aside from the the PS hoses. Missed 2-3 teeth on the flex coupler, can fix later.
Only the PS hoses and the brake line bracket to hook back up before it can be moved.

Got the truck insured friday, and today, I took dad to the tag agent and got the tag updated and filed for lost title. There were 2 seperate forms that had to signed by him, as the registered owner, and notorized. The young lady at the tag agency was very nice and understanding. Dad stayed in the truck, and she went out to witness his signature and check the ID.
It's now legal to drive, as soon as I get a couple more items done, it should even be safe to drive. Since the tag is now current, I'll likely bring it back to my house as soon as I get the PS hooked up, and that brake line bracket bolted back on the frame. Gotta run a tap thru the threaded hole, and clean up the lower hole that gets the long bolt/nut. That's why the bracket didn't get put back on the frame.....

Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 AM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a nice looking truck. You and your father will have some great memories. It isn't very different from my story, right down to the sister. Twenty five miles isn't quite as far as heaven, so make the drive more often than you have time for. It's nice to hear a grown man talking about his dad (and his truck) like they mean something special. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good reading. I'm in hopes that at least one of my son's will do the same for me. Until then, I'm still working on their's. At least a little knowledge is rubbing off on them.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Thanks. They do both mean quite a lot to me. I make the drive as often as I can, but not nearly as often as I would like to. My budget is tight already, and with the cost of gas, it's hard to have the $10 to spare sometimes. Still, I try make the trip at least once a week, and call daily. Somedays, I call 2-3 times. When I do make the trip, I stay for quite a while, 6-8 hrs typically. I cut the visit a little short yesterday so I could have some time to work on the truck. By short, I mean I was only there for a little over 4 hrs....
Sis lives 2.5 miles away, and has only been there once in the last 6 months, and then for less than an hour. Her main contribution is the phone. She pays the bill for him to have it, and complains about that....
You only get 1 dad. No matter how many mistakes they may make in life, they're still your dad. I know he's not perfect, but then neither am I.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM
ebodell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually post in the '80-'86 forum (and I know you update there as well) but I keep an eye out for your updates in the '73 - '79 forum. I really enjoy reading about the great progress you are making. I understand your relationship with your Dad. Unfortunately mine is over 900 miles away but I still talk with him (phone and email) and see him much more than my sister. He is getting up in years (he will be 77 in July) but still gets around great though I am getting worried more about him. A couple of years ago I bought from him the last new truck he had owned. The truck has alot of memories for me and is, like your '74, is priceless.
Not meaning to highjack your thread but wanted to say how much I enjoy reading (and re-reading) it.
Take care and keep up the work when time and money allow. I often find both to be in short supply.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am enjoying reading your updates about your truck and your Dad. These trucks are really about alot more than just driving to cruise night once in awhile aren't they? I always say I inherited Ford genetics from my Dad. I'm also lucky to have a great Father-In-Law who just recently sold his Ford franchise which had been in the family for 75 yrs. My Dad has done alot for me and I'm fortunate to live just minutes away and am always looking to pay it back.

Keep those updates coming!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:00 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
I lost my dad when I was 10. Eventually your sister will realize what she has missed and, unfortunately, it will be too late for her to do anything about it.
I applaude what your doing for your dad (and you). You will never regret what you're doing.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Dad is nearing 73, and was almost killed in crash at 53. It's a wonder he survived then, and he's still beating the odds. My son was born just over 3 months after dad's crash.

Anyways, today's update isn't too major. I did get the PS lines hooked back up and the brake line bracket bolted back to the frame. Then, for the first time since early this month, I set the front wheels back on the ground, with nothing else holding the truck.
Fired it up and let it run for a while. The longer it run, the better it started sounding.

While putting the PS lines back onto the steering gear, I spotted a vacuum hose disconnected from the vacuum resivour. Hooked it up, and the HVAC system will now blow thru the dash or floor vents, rather then just the defroster. I knew it was a simple vacuum issue, but never expected it to that simple. A/C will need a recharge, thankfully it was converted to R134a over 12 years ago.
It seems everything I have done on this truck, the truck does it's level best to make it as easy as possible. It's *almost* like it has a soul of it's own.........

I wanted to take it for a spin around the block, but the brake pedal is a bit too mushy for my taste. Might have gotten air in the calipers when I put the new pads on, since I cracked open the bleeders before retracting the pistons. I plan to do a full fluid flush anyways, once I have the rear brakes done.
The mushy pedal also could be related to having had to back off the self adjuster on one of the rear brake assemblies, or the fact that the front chamber in the master was empty when I picked up the truck. Any one of those could cause the mushy pedal, and I'm betting it's a bit of all 3.
I still haven't gotten new belts for it, nor refilled the PS. But those are small items to take care of.

I couldn't stand to see the truck without the chrome wheels, so I swapped the rear tires/wheels. Will have to get different tires for the rear though, as the ones currently on those wheels are over 11 years old. I've got a set of decent tires, and planned to get a couple mounted on those wheels before installing, but it just wasn't right seeing it without those wheels, which were his birthday gift from me back in 89.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Took it for a short drive this evening. Stopped at a gas station, shot in $10 (3 gallons exactly) of gas, and came to the house. When I pulled in the driveway, my daughter's front door darn near flew off the hinges. My son was there, so he, my daughter, and the grandkids came out.

Power steering belt is still missing, but I dumped some fluid in the pump. Found the dernedest PS leak ever. The return hose is dripping where it meets the pump. I planned to change that anyways, guess it'll get done sooner than I thought. Also plan to add a small inline filter, as every little bit helps.
Didn't go too far in it, about a mile total. But that was more than it's gone in a long time.
Brake pedal is a bit low, and takes a bit more effort than I remember, but it still stops ok.
Turns out, I missed lining up the steering coupler by right at 1/4 turn, but that's an easy fix. There's a steering wheel puller laying in the cross-bed toolbox.....

I'll have a couple new pics to post as soon as I can get the camera from sis (daughter) an upload them. One is just too cute. My 9 month old grandson is standing up right beside me as if he's trying to help, while I'm doing something under the hood.

It's still not running quite right, needs plugs/wires and carb rebuild. But it still felt good to take it for a short drive.

Quick Reply: Reviving dad's 74 F100 (one owner truck)