6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Small turbo not working; outstanding mileage.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Small turbo not working; outstanding mileage.

My small turbo isn't spooling anymore, Dunno if the actuator isn't working, or what.

HAd it at the dealership yesterday, they can hook the scan tool up for 120$. I have to pay that if they can't find anything wrong.

It takes 2 - 3 seconds for the power to hit the ground.

The truck will not make over 30 lbs of boost no matter what.

HWY mileage is averaging 21 hand calculated, 23 LOM

in the city, 14-16 MPG HC , 16-17 LOM

This is a most unique "problem"

Old 05-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not often you have a problem that saves you money.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Super08
Not often you have a problem that saves you money.
I know, I want to get it fixed, in case there is an expensive repair, but at the same time, this is awesome.

Truck still rips once the turbo catches up.

I'm a little worried that the truck is running with less air than it was meant to, but so far the DPF regen's are 300-400 miles apart, so things seem good.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
No codes, no lights, no excessive fuel consumption, no excessive regens...close the hood and have beer.

Seriously this does not sound like you have anything more than the usual turbo lag.

Do this: with the hood up, check the linkage to the turbo actuator. Does it move freely? Next with the hood still up have someone just turn the key to on position. Should see the linkage cycle.

If that is happening then I don't think there are any issues.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix
No codes, no lights, no excessive fuel consumption, no excessive regens...close the hood and have beer.

Seriously this does not sound like you have anything more than the usual turbo lag.

Do this: with the hood up, check the linkage to the turbo actuator. Does it move freely? Next with the hood still up have someone just turn the key to on position. Should see the linkage cycle.

If that is happening then I don't think there are any issues.
Usual turbo lag? It used to spool up right now, it is definately laggy.

It used to make weird rushing grinding sounds when shutting off, now it doesn't.

When off, the actuator rod moves freely, when on you can't move it, it does not cycle at all.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Well maybe it is something wrong with the turbo electronics. But with no codes it is a gamble.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:23 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Maybe the EGR will plug off and get me another MPG or 2 !!

lol

Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
When off, the actuator rod moves freely, when on you can't move it, it does not cycle at all.
The actuator controls nothing on your small, low-pressure turbo. It controls the vanes on your high-pressure turbo, and there is a position sensor in this module. If for some reason things weren't working correctly and the turbo wasn't behaving exactly as it should you would see a check engine light.

The same goes for your low-pressure turbo. There are codes in the system for incorrect boost pressure; if the truck wasn't behaving exactly as it should you would see one of these codes. Not going over 30 PSI isn't necessarily a sign that something's wrong.

My '08 6.4L took a solid three seconds from a dead stop before the boost came up and the power came. This was ever since the truck was brand new. I really don't think anything is wrong here.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:07 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Crazy001
The actuator controls nothing on your small, low-pressure turbo. It controls the vanes on your high-pressure turbo, and there is a position sensor in this module. If for some reason things weren't working correctly and the turbo wasn't behaving exactly as it should you would see a check engine light.

The same goes for your low-pressure turbo. There are codes in the system for incorrect boost pressure; if the truck wasn't behaving exactly as it should you would see one of these codes. Not going over 30 PSI isn't necessarily a sign that something's wrong.

My '08 6.4L took a solid three seconds from a dead stop before the boost came up and the power came. This was ever since the truck was brand new. I really don't think anything is wrong here.

I'm not sure exactly whats wrong, but it's lagging way worse than it did before. If you pound the gas, it takes 2-3 seconds before anything happens. It used to jump.

It's also running much lower boost than before. It will never hit 10 anymore just cruising, it used to run almost at 10 all the time.

I swear i didnt touch anything !!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
I'm not sure exactly whats wrong, but it's lagging way worse than it did before. If you pound the gas, it takes 2-3 seconds before anything happens. It used to jump.

It's also running much lower boost than before. It will never hit 10 anymore just cruising, it used to run almost at 10 all the time.

I swear i didnt touch anything !!
Strange...

If the driving dynamics are that different than it really needs to get checked out. Mentioning the diagnostic fee implies that the truck is out of warranty, meaning that if there is a problem and it goes uncorrected you could be on the hook for a major repair depending on the problem.

If you're that sure that the truck's performance has changed I would highly recommend taking it in for diagnosis.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
It still has powertrain warranty

He said I have to pay if he can't find anything wrong.

He said just wait till something actually breaks, so they know what to fix.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Sad way of doing business, wait for a breakage. If it is that bad, why not call ford cust svc, see if they will do something for you. After all you are trying to save everyone some money.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
He said just wait till something actually breaks, so they know what to fix.
I'm with Scott, that's really crappy business. When something fails it's nearly always more expensive than if it were caught early. I've been to dealers before with concerns that they couldn't verify, but not once was I asked to pay the bill.

Have you tried other dealers?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:20 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well 2 points here. 1st I have learned the hard way that if there are no codes, there is nothing wrong. I dont care if the rods are hanging out of the block. No codes, means no problem. End of story.
2nd point, I havent seen a 6.4 without the "death delay" yet. In fact I was ticked after all the advertising and bragging they did in 2007-2008 because they installed 2 turbo chargers to completely eliminate turbo lag. Hope you like the taste of BS because any of my 7.3's or 6.0's would eat a 6.4 for lunch racing stop light to stop light. If you had one that didnt have the delay before you are beyond lucky.
I say find another 6.4 to test drive and see how it compares to yours

Old 05-27-2011, 10:05 PM
caddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My small turbo isn't spooling anymore, Dunno if the actuator isn't working, or what.

HAd it at the dealership yesterday, they can hook the scan tool up for 120$. I have to pay that if they can't find anything wrong.

It takes 2 - 3 seconds for the power to hit the ground.

The truck will not make over 30 lbs of boost no matter what.

HWY mileage is averaging 21 hand calculated, 23 LOM

in the city, 14-16 MPG HC , 16-17 LOM

This is a most unique "problem"
I would like to have that problem with my 6.4.

Quick Reply: Small turbo not working; outstanding mileage.