1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

To those who must be low

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 06:50 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
To those who must be low

Today was supposed to be another one of those milestone days. A trip to the exhaust shop for some custom duals and from there to an experienced Volare alignment man. I borrowed a very nice dovetail trailer. Of course the ramp angle was too high and the <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">bumper</a> was going to slam right into the ramps. Something I have been through many times before. Going to miss my appointment so I quickly grabbed the first two 2x4s I saw for the usual get it up higher trick. The loading went well and off we go. Now the bad part. On the dismount I met a little resistance. Just figured the tire was climbing the board edge. No, the board had already teetered up and wedged in the back of my minty fresh gravel shield/ lower valance. Few of my body panels are completely bondo free but this part used to be. My ground guide says give it some more from the other side of the truck. So I bumped the throttle and watched my front clip slide forward an inch or two. The gravel shield is smoked. I don't have the skills to get it right again.

Not looking for condolences. Life is real good. My project is coming along and the few soldiers from my unit currently overseas are all accounted for and well.

Just want to warn everyone to be careful when using trailers. I should know better. If I had secured the board to the ramp, it never would have happened. If anyone knows the whereabouts of a new gravel pan for 53-54, I'm ready to buy one right now.

BTW, the duals are very nice. I found an exhaust man that acted like he cared. Left and right pipes match and I got my exit right where I wanted it. (In front of <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">bumper</a> under the rear bed extension panels). $203 for everything except the flowmaster mufflers left over from the brand new Chevy exhaust. A fair price for professional pipe bending in my opinion. Hopefully the alignment will go well and my truck comes home tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2003, 07:07 PM
ama chur
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those who must be low

Hi FatFenders,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Unfortunately I don't have a gravel pan for you but if you have a '53 then I don't think an original '54 pan will work for you since the '54 has a pair of holes that accept the "fangs" from the '54 grill. Not sure about aftermarket pans though.

Good luck to ya.

Old 03-24-2003, 07:22 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
To those who must be low

Ama chur

I am thinking <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/"><a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/"><a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">parking light</a></a></a>s. You are correct. I need a 53 pan. Aftermarket does not sell steel. I'll drive around with a crushed steel one before I install a glass one.

Most everyone has a pet peeve. I have three things I will attempt to avoid experiencing a second time:

1. SBC engines installed in Fords
2. Dysentary
3. Fiberglass body panels

"Just another rant from the opinionated one"

Old 03-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
To those who must be low

Fenders I agree wholeheartedly....If it ain't steel, it ain't real is what we say in the south.. Local guy shows a "39" ford cabriolet w/fatman chassis, SBC and total glass..to me he has a 2002 kit car much as the kits that use a vw chassis. He has about $85 k invested in a trailer queen. Those of us who only occassionally get to drive or haven't driven yet look forward to the day when our real live vintage iron carries our big butts down the boulevard.

Sorry about your gravel pan but dented can be fixed, glass is always glass and glass is for looking thru or drinking a clod adult beverage from

Just my 2c worth. Dealing with a leaking radiator on my 55 f100 now

Big old Hands

Old 03-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
To those who must be low

Ouch! Nothing sadder than getting body & paint A-1 (a-2) in my case, and having a setback like that.

I guess the steel 54+ pans cant be 'worked' into a 53? I remember doing surgery on a pair of '71 Torino rear fenders from a sedan and grafting them to Dad's waycool '71 Torino GT convert rusty crustys.

Patience grasshopper- Fire up those Flowmasters and call in the morining

Old 03-24-2003, 11:47 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User
To those who must be low

fenders... damn man. that was a fine lookin rig....

any chance you can get some measurments to me....

I bought a few <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">sheet metal</a> tools... (ok, i am a tool *****), i bought a <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">sheet metal</a> brake, shear, roller, and flanging tool...

I can probablly make you one outta 20ga.

So far i have made lower fender extensions, a set of rear door skins, rear quarter panels for my 50 panel...

Robert

Old 03-25-2003, 12:18 AM
Trader Bob
Senior User
To those who must be low

Don't know how far you want to go for the gravel pan but here in southern Calif. http://www.bobsf100.com/ he has a yard full of used parts. You might check them out for one / cost. I've only bought my dash trim from them. Bob

Old 03-25-2003, 06:10 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
To those who must be low

I can probablly make you one outta 20ga.

So far I have made lower fender extensions, a set of rear door skins, rear quarter panels for my 50 panel...

Robert

Thanks for the offer but I don't think 20GA will never hold up to somebody as careless as me. I was thinking more like 10 inch armor plate with kevlar spall liner.

Trader Bob

I will check out Bob's F100. I know another gentleman that sells F100 parts in CA as well. It isn't going to be cheap for a good one unfortunately. Gotta pay my stupid tax again.

Old 03-25-2003, 07:26 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To those who must be low

Dewayne,
if you aren't planning to drive to Pigeon Forge, wait and get it there. Obsolete Ford had a bunch of new items last year. I don't remember if they are repopping valances or not. Check with them at www.obsoletefordparts.com

Old 03-25-2003, 10:19 AM
fatfords
Elder User
To those who must be low

'fenders,
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I'm sure you will find a useable gravel pan. As truckfarmer suggested, check out Obsolete Ford in OKC and their manufacturing partner, Dales Manufacturing. I know they are making the <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">sheet metal</a> that you see on e-bay. I think they have the 55-56 gravel pan, but maybe not the 53.

Looking at your gallery, you have 55 hood <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">emblem</a>s and you say you have a nice 55 grille, you could always use the grill and buy one of the repro gravel pans and turn it into a '55!

It sounds as though you have everything in perspective.

Good Luck,

Old 03-25-2003, 11:38 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To those who must be low

'fenders,

Truly sorry to hear about the problems, but trust me - you wouldn't want to tade it for the past two weeks I've had.

Keep smiling.

Later,

Old 03-25-2003, 02:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
To those who must be low

Originally posted by truckfarmer
Dewayne,
if you aren't planning to drive to Pigeon Forge, wait and get it there. Obsolete Ford had a bunch of new items last year. I don't remember if they are repopping valances or not. Check with them at www.obsoletefordparts.com
I did not think anyone was repopping them. I hope you guys are right. It's not like they don't exist used but I just haven't seen any good ones. I tried a few months ago. Was trying to find one for my brother in law who is also looking for one. It seems he had this unfortunate trailer incident and trashed his last year.

It's an Iowa thing

Old 03-25-2003, 04:48 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
To those who must be low

haha, remind me not to ever have you help me put my truck on a trailer there fenders, but then again, hopefully my truck will be the one pulling the trailer and not on it.

I am sorry to hear about the luck though, and I'd offer to keep my eyes open for a good stock one, but I know they don't exist here in the rust belt. But I'm sure you'll find one sooner or later (hopefully sooner and not later)

I'm also guessing you might be looking for a safer means of loading your truck from now on

Jon

Old 03-26-2003, 06:59 AM
Big Hands
Senior User
To those who must be low

Fenders,

Next week we will be attending a local event at Lowes Motor Speedway and they will have tons of vendors there. Will look for anybody popping a pans and at least get you some contact info.

Hands