6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Spartan 100,000km Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spartan 100,000km Update

Well I finally turned 100,000km about 3 weeks ago (roughly 95,000 tuned) and the truck is still running like a champ. Had the tranny fluid and filter changed and the guy at the shop was amazed at how good everything looked. I'm not one to brag but he said he was happy to finally see a Ford because he never gets to see one and then remarked how he had 5 Dodge's on his hoists that day with burnt 2nd gears. He said the filter was very clean and the tranny looked great which was good to hear as I was a little worried after running the 275 and 300 tunes for this long. Truck is also still performing as it should and I could not be happier. For those guys still sitting on the fence I just wanted to let you know that I got a roughly 7-10% increase on MPG with the latest 275 release over the older versions and the shifting is 100 times better. Best of luck to everyone and have a safe summer on the roads!

Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info..

No doubt 6.4's with DPF deletes will prove to be a very reliable truck.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
smithrgs
New User
I installed a black maxx, DPF/CAT delete and a S & B CAI on my 6.4. It's a different truck, I love it. Before install I was trying to figure out how I could get rid of it. Did I mention I only have 12,000 miles on it. Both dealer I've talked to said they could care less about the delete. My MPG is a lot better.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by smithrgs
I installed a black maxx, DPF/CAT delete and a S & B CAI on my 6.4. It's a different truck, I love it. Before install I was trying to figure out how I could get rid of it. Did I mention I only have 12,000 miles on it. Both dealer I've talked to said they could care less about the delete. My MPG is a lot better.
could you describe that last part 'a lot better'. my local Diesel shop said

Black maxx or SCT if you want mileage, Spartan if you want power.

just interested in your experience.
I am seeing 15-18% improvement with my Spartan while towing (which is all I use it for) 10.5 vs 8.9mpg (with my DRW 4.10 rear)

Sam

Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Both dealer I've talked to said they could care less about the delete.
Not caring, and honouring warranty are 2 different things.

Most dealerships I spoke with said they try to look the other way, but in the event of a major repair, ford can definitely make them look for tuner evidence or exhaust system tampering.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM
smithrgs
New User
As far as the MPG, I was getting around 13 to 13.5 around town and 15.5 at 70 MPH. I was alright with 13.5 around town, not happy with HWY miles. My mileage started to drop from 13.5 to 10 MPG. I took it to ford and they told me there was no problem. Well I think there's something wrong when it drops that fast in 1.5 tanks. The service manager said, I thought you were putting on the DPF/CAT delete. I told him as soon as he told me it wouldn't void my warranty I would. That's when he said as long as I hasn't building a tractor pull truck it should be no problem. I couldn't have that truck getting 10 around town and I don't know how much on the hwy. I haven't had it on the hwy after change, but I'm getting right at 16 around town. Plus I know it's better for the truck. I also know the diesel mech at another dealership and he said the same thing as the service manager. This is my third ford diesel and hopefully my last.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Smithrgs; What is your truck? And gearing? 16 in town would be awesome!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
As far as the MPG, I was getting around 13 to 13.5 around town and 15.5 at 70 MPH. I was alright with 13.5 around town, not happy with HWY miles. My mileage started to drop from 13.5 to 10 MPG. I took it to ford and they told me there was no problem. Well I think there's something wrong when it drops that fast in 1.5 tanks. The service manager said, I thought you were putting on the DPF/CAT delete. I told him as soon as he told me it wouldn't void my warranty I would. That's when he said as long as I hasn't building a tractor pull truck it should be no problem. I couldn't have that truck getting 10 around town and I don't know how much on the hwy. I haven't had it on the hwy after change, but I'm getting right at 16 around town. Plus I know it's better for the truck. I also know the diesel mech at another dealership and he said the same thing as the service manager. This is my third ford diesel and hopefully my last.
While i totally agree with getting rid of the DPF & CAT, and not to burst your bubble, but it is important that the facts be stated next to a statement like this.... being that if you remove any exhaust system component, or tune your truck, your warranty is VOIDED. You may be able to get it fixed under warranty, you might even find dealerships, service managers, etc that are cool with it.

BUT, don't forget that ford can audit any dealership, and they have field guys that can magically appear at a dealership to check on a major pending repair. They are the ones paying for it, and ultimately they are the ones that can deny your warranty because of modifications. While this seems to be rare, remember that lots of people may stumble on a page like this from google etc, and read this, and they must know that tuning and altering your truck VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY, and after that, all you can do is see what you can get away with.

Unless you get in a legal written document that you're trucks warranty will still be valid after modifications, you are taking the chance.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by longview1
Smithrgs; What is your truck? And gearing? 16 in town would be awesome!

3 words:

LIE O METER

lol

Some of the best running trucks I've seen with a tuner can get 23 MPG on the highway, but still only get 10-12 around town.

That being said, I suppose it depends on what town, everyone speaks of "in town" as if it were a universal term of mileage, when really, every town and city is different.

In my town, I turn every 2 blocks, and get 7 MPG doing so. In a different city, I AVG 25 MPG because theres so many 70 KM/ h zones that i speed over the limit to 80, and drive with the TC locked up. Thats without a tuner by the way.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM
JcF204
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I want to do this mod and thank you for the update. The truck is still new to me so I haven't pulled the trigger yet...

Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by JcF204
I know I want to do this mod and thank you for the update. The truck is still new to me so I haven't pulled the trigger yet...
It's a hard decision for a lot of guys but talk to anyone who has done it and 99% of them will tell you it's the best money you'll ever spend on your truck. Good Luck

Old 05-25-2011, 01:51 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Brandon D
It's a hard decision for a lot of guys but talk to anyone who has done it and 99% of them will tell you it's the best money you'll ever spend on your truck. Good Luck
The only scary part is imagine blowing the motor the next day and kicking yourself so hard for doing it.

Of course, the most likely death of any 6.4 will probably be from the emission system !!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by parkland
The only scary part is imagine blowing the motor the next day and kicking yourself so hard for doing it.

Of course, the most likely death of any 6.4 will probably be from the emission system !!
It's a legitimate concern and anyone could play devil's advocate all day with the risks and consequences. I've heard far more horror stories from stock trucks than I have from tuned trucks. I also couldn't be happier with the decision I made and am glad I pulled the trigger early in my trucks life. Anyone that can't afford major repairs outside of warranty should not consider it but if you can or you have no warranty then it's a no brainer.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Bruce P
Junior User
Spartan tuner DFP delete

Brandon
I have 65,000 km on my truck and still stock 2008 job 1 with 1 /1/2 yr warranty up to 100,000 km. But I am hearing so much about this Spartan Delete. I know choking off a diesel ( both intake and exhaust) is really tough on them so yes this is a no brainer
Is it too late for a 65,000 km truck and I am in Canada so is it available here and where?
Cost ?- What are we looking at in $$$ to do the 275 update?
Bruce P

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Bruce - PM Sent