Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Uh Oh...Trouble in Paradise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 PM
lynnie70
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh Oh...Trouble in Paradise?

My new 2002 F350 diesel dream truck is dying on me. On the way home from the car sales lot, it lurched while we were driving on the highway, as if someone had pushed in the clutch at 50 MPH (but it is an automatic). But it recouped immediately without actually dying and seemed fine. Then it died completely at a stoplight this morning. Restarted instantly. But this afternoon, it died when I turned and was crossing traffic. The drop in the power steering and brakes made for a scary moment or two. There are no unusual lights coming on, it doesn't cough or sputter -- just stops as if you turned off the key. It has a 50/50 power train warranty for 30 days. Any ideas?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
First guess would be CPS.

It's the hiccup on the freeway that leads me to that guess, along with all the other symptoms.

Stewart

PS - Where are you located? Does it happen to be rainy there right now?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 cps..........

Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
CPS (that your dealer should be buying you)

Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Mine did the same thing, A new CPS fixed it. If it hasn't been in for the cps recall you"ll get it changed for free at the dealer.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Did you get this truck a lot cheaper than you expected? Maybe someone thought they were off-loading a "lemon", but it it's the CPS, you'll fix it for around twenty bucks!

Hope you're one of the lucky ones!

Pop

Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 PM
gradyc
wellhead
X3 on the CPS.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Another vote for the CPS.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A Big Welcome to the Forum..cps (cam position sensor in the front of the engine) sounds like the problem.. Crawl under the front of the engine and look up, just to the side of the water pump pulley... be sure to report back on the fix..

Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2011, 12:06 PM
lynnie70
New User
Looks like CPS wins

Thanks everyone. They are going to look at it next Tuesday--we want to have the oil changed and maintenance caught up too. We'll be sure they change the cps, if they don't suggest that first. Son says to drain the water out also? Will let you know how it goes. (We are in Lorton, VA. It was rainy those days, but not actually raining when it happened.) We paid $15,000 plus our hail-damaged 2001 Toyota Tundra for it. I don't think it was as particularly good or bad deal -- these trucks seem so hard to find -- at least for sale. (I think every fourth truck OWNED in Warrenton was a 250 diesel. We were tempted to ram one in a parking lot and tell the owner we had no insurance but were willing to buy the truck......)

Old 05-21-2011, 12:14 PM
hollywoodswole
New User
Old 05-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If it was a ford dealer you should be okay. If not don't let them put you off. They will tell you the 30 days was up and they didn't have that problem and your on your own. Go luck, its problably the CPS as stated.
Chet

Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other thing can cause this symtom that I know of and that is a loose chip. If you a chip attached to your PCM and it is loose it can cause the vehicle to stall and sooner or later cause your PCM to fail because the chip is loose.
If you don't know if you have a chip look under your dash to the left side of the clutch (American Models) and there is a black plastic box sticking out from the firewall. This houses your PCM. If there is a hole cut in the box and a chip in it then push the chip in and take it for a drive and see if it stalls again.

I need to replace my junk chip with a DP chip I know but it came with the truck when I bought it.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Visseroth
One other thing can cause this symtom that I know of and that is a loose chip. If you a chip attached to your PCM and it is loose it can cause the vehicle to stall and sooner or later cause your PCM to fail because the chip is loose.
If you don't know if you have a chip look under your dash to the left side of the clutch (American Models) and there is a black plastic box sticking out from the firewall. This houses your PCM. If there is a hole cut in the box and a chip in it then push the chip in and take it for a drive and see if it stalls again.

I need to replace my junk chip with a DP chip I know but it came with the truck when I bought it.
What is the "junk chip?" Is it TS style or something lame?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by lynnie70
Thanks everyone. They are going to look at it next Tuesday--we want to have the oil changed and maintenance caught up too. We'll be sure they change the cps, if they don't suggest that first. Son says to drain the water out also? Will let you know how it goes. (We are in Lorton, VA. It was rainy those days, but not actually raining when it happened.) We paid $15,000 plus our hail-damaged 2001 Toyota Tundra for it. I don't think it was as particularly good or bad deal -- these trucks seem so hard to find -- at least for sale. (I think every fourth truck OWNED in Warrenton was a 250 diesel. We were tempted to ram one in a parking lot and tell the owner we had no insurance but were willing to buy the truck......)
If you had driven through any standing water puddle that splashed on to the CPS, then it may not have been the CPS 'per se'..... the moisture may have gotten passed the seal and caused a 'shut down'. The 'Tell tell', (to me) was that it started right back up. If it was 'dry' out side you may never have had a problem. Sealing it better with a sealant may have fixed the problem. If it happens again make sure that the rubber o-ring and the electrical plug in is sealed with vasoline or the market sealant that escapes my mind right now.

Quick Reply: Uh Oh...Trouble in Paradise?