6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Factory bed liner frustration

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:53 PM
paver56
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory bed liner frustration

I had trouble with my tailgate this week. It would not open so I took it to the dealer. When I ordered the truck I ordered the spray in bed liner. I love my truck but am really dissapointed the the tailgate. Ford sprayed the bed but simply put a plastic cover on the tailgate. When the tech took the plastic cover off, we found that the piece of metal that covers the top of the tailgate is not even there. Why on earth wouldn't they just spray the tailgate like the rest of the bed? I think it is rediculous that on a 60k truck it is missing the metal that covers the tailgate latch. The problem was the the latch came apart. I also discovered the if I leave my tailgate down when it is hot out, the plastic cover gets hot and warps, which then does not let the tailgate latch. So now I have a spray in bed liner in the bed and a white metal tailgate, missing the top piece of metal. The dealer did not offer to get it for me, just referred me to the guy that can order it for me. There is no way that I feel I should have to pay for this.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford should fix that and reimburse the dealer. Interesting observation on the plastic tailgate cover. I just picked my truck up less than a month ago, I didn't think about the sun and the plastic cover. I did cover mine with a Bed Rug, which should protect it from too much sun.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:50 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
Contact Ford or try another dealer, good luck let us know

Old 05-16-2011, 08:11 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
I did notice there is nothing under the plastic tailgate cover. Thought that was just because I have a step gate. I was working on my 5er and using the tailgate as a work bench and did notice the plastic cover warping out of shape. Does appear to be a cheap way to make a tailgate..... The tailgate comes like that if you have a spray in bedliner or not. Mine was Rhino lined instead of Ford doing it, cheaper. The people that Rhino lined my truck did not touch the tailgate. I took it back for them to line the tailgate. Only the edges around that cheap plastic cover...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
George is right, the plastic cover is required with the tailgate step, there is no metal cover to the gate.

Now if it fails to perform to standard, which yours apparently is doing, it should certainly be covered under warranty. Strange that they don't want to cover it, are you within your 3/36K warranty period?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:08 PM
AlexWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
George is right, the plastic cover is required with the tailgate step, there is no metal cover to the gate.
Actually the plastic cover is required for the fold up handle (the flag pole as I call it) that goes with the tailgate step.

I got rid of the flag pole and the plastic cover. Got the metal cover for the opening that was left and Line-X'ed the tailgate.

The Line-X was included in the price of Line-X'ing the box so even though I took the tailgate back later, I didn't have to pay extra to get the tailgate done.

Much better and no complications with the step.

This is an option for the paver56 but it will be out of pocket obviously.

For me it was worth it; I can't stand those plastic covers.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 PM
rdenis
Tuned
A couple of things:

1) The tailgate cannot accomodate a regular metal cover if you have and want to keep your stripper pole since the pole recessess into that opening.

2) There is at least one other option besides spraying. I went with a full Bedrug and was able to keep my stripper pole. The stripper pole makes a lot of sense with the Bedrug - like they are made for each other.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 AM
AlexWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by rdenis
I went with a full Bedrug and was able to keep my stripper pole.
Jeeze. Now it's long gone I find out it was actually a stripper pole.

I take back everything I ever said about that thing and under no
circumstances should anybody consider removing that bad boy.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 AM
paver56
Freshman User
My truck is a 2011 so it is under warranty. I do not have a tailgate step. That is why I do not understand why the piece of metal is missing.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rdenis
A couple of things:

1) The tailgate cannot accomodate a regular metal cover if you have and want to keep your stripper pole since the pole recessess into that opening.

2) There is at least one other option besides spraying. I went with a full Bedrug and was able to keep my stripper pole. The stripper pole makes a lot of sense with the Bedrug - like they are made for each other.
Nice to hear. I would like to cover up or remove that plastic on the tailgate. On the occasions I throw a knee up there, like I used to when I was a younger man, that bad boy hurts my knees. I use the manstep and stripper pole. Just not every time. Like when that 26 year old QT is checking out your truck at the local Home Depot. You don't want her thinkin you can't still get it up... your leg I mean... on the tailgate. You know? Sheez! Sure glad my wife doesn't read this stuff.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM
paver56
Freshman User
Stopped at the dealer today and they are going to get the piece for me. Frustrating part is that my salesman, whom I have known for 20 years and the service department did not want to help me. I ended up talking to the manage of the body shop and after I explained (to his surprise) that the piece was missing from the factory, he said he would order me one. I should get it in a day or two. It will not be painted, just primed. It does not matter to me because I plan on spraying the tailgate with a bed liner. Funny thing was that he said Ford's list price for the plastic tailgate cover is $217.00. I have purchased them in the past for around $40. I still do not understand why they do not spray the tailgate.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
AlexWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by paver56
Stopped at the dealer today and they are going to get the piece for me. Frustrating part is that my salesman, whom I have known for 20 years and the service department did not want to help me. I ended up talking to the manage of the body shop and after I explained (to his surprise) that the piece was missing from the factory, he said he would order me one. I should get it in a day or two. It will not be painted, just primed. It does not matter to me because I plan on spraying the tailgate with a bed liner. Funny thing was that he said Ford's list price for the plastic tailgate cover is $217.00. I have purchased them in the past for around $40. I still do not understand why they do not spray the tailgate.
Nice that you're getting the cover for no cost.

If it's any consolation, my neighbor has a Nissan Frontier with the factory spray on liner and they don't do the tailgate either. Same sort of BS plastic cover. I don't know what's under there, though.

No doubt in Ford's case it's a cost saving thing. If they put the plastic one on, they can save the cost of putting on the metal piece.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 PM
swhhfrc
New User
I've not had any warping issues yet. What really ticks me off is that the rear tie downs do not extend through the ford bed liner. In order to use them you have to reach through a 1-1/2 to 2 inch diameter hole to get at them and you can't see what your doing.

Sof ar its the only thing I really do not like about the truck. The 2002 dodge I traded in had a much better liner with the liner being made to have the tiedowns removed then bolted back on through it.

Does any one make extensions or something for the rear tie downs?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:01 PM
mikespecht
Senior User
Originally Posted by swhhfrc
I've not had any warping issues yet. What really ticks me off is that the rear tie downs do not extend through the ford bed liner. In order to use them you have to reach through a 1-1/2 to 2 inch diameter hole to get at them and you can't see what your doing.

Sof ar its the only thing I really do not like about the truck. The 2002 dodge I traded in had a much better liner with the liner being made to have the tiedowns removed then bolted back on through it.

Does any one make extensions or something for the rear tie downs?

take some of these and put on the hooks, it extends it out and u can just use these as attach points for straps.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 PM
robroy90
Junior User
I am curious about one part I am not sure I fully understand. If you have the factory spray-in liner with the pole and the step (as I do) and decide you really do not like the plastic cover and would instead prefer to have it sprayed with another liner material, is that possible?

I also am not really a fan of the plastic cover due to the look, the possible warping, etc. If I wanted to remove it and get it sprayed, would I have to order extra parts?

Thanks,

-Rob

Quick Reply: Factory bed liner frustration