6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Traded it in

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Traded it in

The times are changing. After having a truck pretty much continuously since 2007 I found myself realizing over the last few months that I really have no need for a truck anymore. My wife's new van will tow my little utility trailer, and we decided last month to sell our white enclosed car hauler because we no longer used it.

On top of that diesel is at it's most expensive since I got my first diesel truck, and my wife is pregnant with our second child, all of which got me looking into how I can justify keeping my F350 around.

So yesterday I said goodbye to my dream truck and this one followed me home:

She's a brand new 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Has HID headlights, 6-speed manual transmission, 3.73 rear axle ratio. Oh yeah, and 412 HP!

I'm sure I'll miss the capability of the truck at some point, but for the moment all I can think of is how much fun it is to drive!

I'll still be here every day, as I'm still a truck nut and this is the best truck enthusiast forum around!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Hopper2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow!It is time to appoint a new MODERATOR.Just kidding nice looking mustang congratulations on the car and the 2nd coming child.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Wow! That came out of right field! Too bad you couldn't hang onto your truck. I went truckless (pickup truck) for a few years and found myself looking for friends who could do the things I couldn't.

As for the Stang, when I bought my Vette, the Mustang was my second choice (and a close one at that). Dollar for dollar it is a good deal. I also enjoyed driving the ones I tested. The sex appeal of the Vette won me over.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tom,
If you are going to get a car the Mustang would be my choice. When through Indy yesterday and all of the state police cars were 5.0s. Really like the color, I bet that would look cool in UPS brown too!

-Gavin

Old 05-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Hopper2
wow!It is time to appoint a new MODERATOR.
Haha, I don't think I met the requirement for that yet. Now if it were a Chevy I'd be in trouble...

Originally Posted by Mustang92v
Wow! That came out of right field!
It did. I've been thinking about it for some time now, but I've been unsure as to whether or not I could stand to get rid of my truck. Took me a long time to figure that one out.

I got a great deal on it, the dealer gave me $40K for my truck...I paid only $45,700 for it a year ago so I didn't loose much on it. My wife has a minivan with a trailer hitch that's capable of towing 3,500 lbs. With our 5x8 utility trailer I should be able to haul anything I could in the truck, and this was the primary reason I could justify trading it in. The Corvettes are amazing cars, but I had to have some practicality with it, and that necessitated having a back seat. Not that the Mustang has much of one, but I could put two car seats back there, as well as the wife on occasion...

Originally Posted by Tomahawk
If you are going to get a car the Mustang would be my choice. When through Indy yesterday and all of the state police cars were 5.0s. Really like the color, I bet that would look cool in UPS brown too!
Wow...a Mustang GT to drive at work. Those guys are lucky! I'm not law enforcement but I only get a '10 Malibu. Didn't see a UPS brown one, but that's probably for the best anyhow. I'd have to get the appropriate attire to drive it!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:49 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
On top of that diesel is at it's most expensive since I got my first diesel truck, and my wife is pregnant with our second child, all of which got me looking into how I can justify keeping my F350 around...
Premium unleaded is more than diesel. Truth or dare...what is the sticker MPG on that thing?........now what is your REAL MPG?

Old 05-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by P.I.T.S.
Premium unleaded is more than diesel. Truth or dare...what is the sticker MPG on that thing?........now what is your REAL MPG?
Ah, but it still makes 402 HP on regular unleaded! Unless I decide to find the local Brainerd drag strip I'll likely feed it a steady diet of 87 octane; most on the Mustang forums can't tell the difference in power. MSRP was $36,600, I attached the window sticker. The only thing I didn't like paying for was the 19" wheels. They sure look pretty but are a bit spendy.

Right now I've put about 100 miles on it and I'm around 22 MPGs on the Lie-O-Meter.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WindowSticker.pdf (191.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
bartlanz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
As some one who owns a corvette (an 89) and has driven the new mustangs, You made the rite choice, so much more comfortable!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow. Congrats on the 2nd child Tom. I have 2 and it is just great.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM
rdenis
Tuned
I went down the "wife with minivan, new kid on the way, can't justify the truck route" road a few years ago so I know exactly what and why you did it. Wife was getting a new minivan at the time and I ended up trading my 97 F-150 for something more fuel economical, on the condition I could fit a sheet of plywood in the van. The sheet fit so we did it.

Fast forward several years and after having used my wife's minivan like a truck for the past 5 years (hauling boat & trailer, plywood, lumber up to 14' long, even loads of gravel, she finally had enough and told me to go get a truck.

Don't be surprised if you end up back with a truck someday under similar circumstances, LOL!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:32 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Congrats!!! I love my 2011 and have had a lot of FORD trucks in my lifetime...OVER 14 NEW and wouls like to downsize someday,...but Can't.

I don't think that Mustang could tow my Airstream.

Again, Congrats!!!! Just beautiful!!

SHane

Old 05-15-2011, 07:41 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Congrats and a beautiful looking new car. I have tried going back to a car a few times over the years. It doesn't last too long, I always end up back with an F Series Ford.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
I am planning of getting a "fun" car next year. But NO WAY am I getting rid of my 350!

My bud is buying a 5.0 in the next few weeks. I have to be faster so I am getting a Corvette GS with an E-Force or a straight Z06.

It was close between the GT-500 but the Vette just fits me better. Wouldn't mind a Super Snake but don't want to shell out over $100k

YouTube - '07 C6 Corvette - LS2 A6 - Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger & Blower Cam - Built by Lucky's Speed

Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hopper2
wow!It is time to appoint a new MODERATOR.

Originally Posted by Crazy001
Haha, I don't think I met the requirement for that yet. Now if it were a Chevy I'd be in trouble...
So the site is no longer Ford TRUCK Enthusiasts?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 720Deere
So the site is no longer Ford TRUCK Enthusiasts?
It certainly is just that. Not Ford truck OWNERS!

mvedepo, the Corvette is no doubt a nice ride, clearly superior to the Mustang in most areas. But my budget is a bit more limited, when I first started looking at cars I was considering $23K Fusions!

I could afford more car, but much more and it starts to get to the point that it starts to defeat the purpose of downsizing!

Quick Reply: Traded it in