1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help! I've been screwed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 11:29 PM
blitzkraig56
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! I've been screwed!

So about 3 months ago I was actively searching ebay for some 99-01 Lightning Seats for my 56 project. Around the end of January I found a nice pair and bid on them but some ********* outbid me at the last second. Turns out this idiot was playing a prank on a bunch of people and bidding when he had no intention of buying. So I emailed the seller saying I wanted to take the seats off his hands. He was a little reluctant at first but finally agreed to sell me them for $850 (plus $80 for shipping). I sent him the money and he claimed to have sent the seats out around the beginning of February. I waited, and waited.....and waited.....no seats. I emailed him repeatedly until he finally replied (saying he'd been out of town at the Daytona500). He claims to have contacted the shippers and said they claimed never to have shipped any seats (I called the company too and they said no seats). He claims he sent them and thinks somebody in the shipping company stole them. So he said he would unbolt another set of seats he had and send them to me. That was a month ago.....I've emailed him many times and haven't recieved a reply. So ummm.....does anyone know what kind of legal action I can take at this point? $930 is a big chunk of change from my budget, and I can't afford lawyer fees at this point. He had good feedback on ebay, and I have his address and phone number (haven't been able to get in touch with him that way either ). Please help!

Craig

Old 03-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Schoonie48F2
Senior User
Help! I've been screwed!

If this was through ebay, I know you can them involved and they can help to an extent.

Old 03-23-2003, 09:30 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Help! I've been screwed!

Originally posted by blitzkraig56
So about 3 months ago I was actively searching ebay for some 99-01 Lightning Seats for my 56 project. Around the end of January I found a nice pair and bid on them but some ********* outbid me at the last second. Turns out this idiot was playing a prank on a bunch of people and bidding when he had no intention of buying. So I emailed the seller saying I wanted to take the seats off his hands. He was a little reluctant at first but finally agreed to sell me them for $850 (plus $80 for shipping). I sent him the money and he claimed to have sent the seats out around the beginning of February. I waited, and waited.....and waited.....no seats. I emailed him repeatedly until he finally replied (saying he'd been out of town at the Daytona500). He claims to have contacted the shippers and said they claimed never to have shipped any seats (I called the company too and they said no seats). He claims he sent them and thinks somebody in the shipping company stole them. So he said he would unbolt another set of seats he had and send them to me. That was a month ago.....I've emailed him many times and haven't recieved a reply. So ummm.....does anyone know what kind of legal action I can take at this point? $930 is a big chunk of change from my budget, and I can't afford lawyer fees at this point. He had good feedback on ebay, and I have his address and phone number (haven't been able to get in touch with him that way either ). Please help!

Craig
Contact the local police in his jurisdiction. He has committed fraud and grand theft ($400 or more). Congratulations, he's now a felon. Request a copy of the police report (it's your right, and it's free from the police, sheriff's or whatever civil service agency takes the report) Explain to them that you DO want to press charges. The onus is on him to prove his intent was NOT to defraud you. If he shipped the seats, he should have receipt of same and/or insurance to cover the value of the property. Be prepared to provide the police proof that you sent this clown the $930.

Let me know if I can help further.
Daryl

Last edited by DS59F100; 03-23-2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:45 AM
1956bigwindow
Junior User
Help! I've been screwed!

Craig

That is a big bummer! I have purchased many things off ebay and never had a problem like yours. What Daryl said is the best thing you can do. I would contact ebay and leave feedback comments warning everybody else what he has done to you. Don't give up, contact the police in the area where the guy lives. The fact is shipping companies have insurance, in the event that the product gets damaged or lost they must reimburse the customer. If he sent the seats the shipping company would have records of it. Creeps like this need to get what's coming to them. Just a thought, let us know how to contact this guy (email or phone #). I am not suggesting have someone personally confront the guy but we could send this guy emails and phone messages what he did was wrong and he needs to refund your money or send the seats. It's just a thought. Keep us posted on the out come and let us know if there is anything we can do help.

Great looking 56!
From a fellow 56 ford f100 lover!
Good luck!
Joe

Old 03-23-2003, 12:42 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Help! I've been screwed!

Originally posted by 1956bigwindow
Craig

That is a big bummer! I have purchased many things off ebay and never had a problem like yours. What Daryl said is the best thing you can do. I would contact ebay and leave feedback comments warning everybody else what he has done to you. Don't give up, contact the police in the area where the guy lives. The fact is shipping companies have insurance, in the event that the product gets damaged or lost they must reimburse the customer. If he sent the seats the shipping company would have records of it. Creeps like this need to get what's coming to them. Just a thought, let us know how to contact this guy (email or phone #). I am not suggesting have someone personally confront the guy but we could send this guy emails and phone messages what he did was wrong and he needs to refund your money or send the seats. It's just a thought. Keep us posted on the out come and let us know if there is anything we can do help.

Great looking 56!
From a fellow 56 ford f100 lover!
Good luck!
Joe
Joe,
Though we'd all like to go kick this guys ***, be careful about calling or E-mailing him. There is also a penal code for obscene, annoying or molesting phone calls (and I'm sure since the advent of the Internet it includes electronic E-mails, etc)... that is a misdemeanor (PC 653m in CA). Best to channel that energy into helping our fellow FTE'r get his money back, along with his satisfaction and dignity. (but yeah, I'd still like to kick the *******'s ***!!!)

Trying to control my rage,
Daryl

Old 03-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Moneypit 56
New User
Help! I've been screwed!

How did you pay? If it was with a US Postal Money Order you can get the Post Office involved as I understand it could be considered mail fraud (big no no). Personal check has some options also I believe. I agree with Daryl's thoughts. Just dont let it go, people like this need to be held accountable. Good luck. Kevin

Old 03-23-2003, 12:51 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Help! I've been screwed!

"If he shipped the seats, he should have receipt of same and/or insurance to cover the value of the property."

Yes, the seller should in fact be prepared to prove he shipped the product. Its not so simple after that. Depending on the terms of the contract (auction description etc), it may or may not be the sellers problem for lost or damaged shipments. Ebay has good customer support. Although it is in the form of email, they have been here many times before and can advise you of your options Craig.

Old 03-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Help! I've been screwed!

not to rain on anyones parade, but he didnt buy it through e-bay. he stated he was outbid at the last second, but the sale fell through and he contacted the seller through e-mail and the seller reluctantly agreed to sell them to him.
i dont see how e-bay can help other to leave negative feedback. i would howerver agree with getting all your papedrwork to prove you payed and then call him with a warning that if you dont get yoyr money or the seats your calling the police.

Old 03-23-2003, 02:23 PM
blitzkraig56
Senior User
Help! I've been screwed!

Yes unfortunately this deal was not through ebay. I paid him through paypal, so I'm not sure what my options are through them. I just got an email from the guy this morning saying his brother had gotten hurt in Baghdad and he had traveled to Indiana with family to meet his brother upon return. Not sure if this is true or not of course but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for another week. He says he shipped the second pair last Monday and asked if I recieved them yet (which I haven't) so we'll see what happens. If he's just stalling I have all our emails saved from day one and the paypal confirmations of payment. So if I don't have the seats within a week I'll give him a nice call and inform him of possible legal action (no obscenities included of course, wouldn't want to screw everything up). Thanks for all your advice guys, I'll keep you posted.

Craig
1956 Ford F-100
http://www.geocities.com/blitzkraig56

Old 03-23-2003, 02:34 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Help! I've been screwed!

George

I know it doesn't help Craig but Ebay does have some fraud protection refund policies but I think it may only be up to a couple hundred dollars. PayPal does too though I am not at all familiar to what extent. Ebay purchased PayPal a few months ago.

Old 03-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Help! I've been screwed!

that good to no fenders, thanks i fcrtunately have had no problems with either but its nice to know were protected

Old 03-23-2003, 03:56 PM
62stepside
Senior User
Help! I've been screwed!

I would be leery of leaving bad feedback on e-bay if you didn't do the deal through e-bay.

Check this link out - a seller sued e-bay and the buyer for posting negative feedback.

http://news.com.com/2100-1017-982389.html?tag=cd_mh

Tyson

Old 03-23-2003, 05:05 PM
1956bigwindow
Junior User
Help! I've been screwed!

Originally posted by DS59F100
Joe,
Though we'd all like to go kick this guys ***, be careful about calling or E-mailing him. There is also a penal code for obscene, annoying or molesting phone calls (and I'm sure since the advent of the Internet it includes electronic E-mails, etc)... that is a misdemeanor (PC 653m in CA). Best to channel that energy into helping our fellow FTE'r get his money back, along with his satisfaction and dignity. (but yeah, I'd still like to kick the *******'s ***!!!)

Trying to control my rage,
Daryl
Daryl:

You are right. I responded spontaneously. I have been ripped off before I guess you really never get over it. I did not realize that there was a penal code regarding contacting someone through email. It was not intent we harass this guy, just trying to come up with some ideas. You gave great advice for Craig. After reading Craig's update, if he paid through Pay-Pal doesn't that get charged on a credit card. Couldn't Craig contact his credit card and contest the charge? Just another thought.

It sounds like this guy may have an excuse but I have rental properties and I have heard all the excuses and delay tactics and I believed most of them and it has cost me almost every time.

Hopefully next week Craig, you will get some good news. I would still contact the police to get the process going. If he comes through you can apologize and drop all charges. I don't want to be negative but this guy might be packing his bags as we speak and you will never find him.

Good luck!

Joe

Old 03-23-2003, 06:27 PM
HBINGER1
Freshman User
Help! I've been screwed!

PayPal??? If you used Pay Pal. How did you pay? From your checking account or credit card? If you paid with a credit card. You can have the credit card company charge him back. I would inform Pay Pal of the problem too. They can be a lot of help. I've been down this road before. And it is a long road to travel. But well worth the pain.

Old 03-23-2003, 07:03 PM
Keahi73
Senior User
Help! I've been screwed!

Good Luck Craig! Even though this was out of Ebay, Im sure you still have legal recourse. IF you go to the PD, give them copies of all your e-mails from this guy!

Man, wish I could afford lightning seats for my panel. I just went down to the Junkyard for 1/2 off day, and swiped some seats from a van!.

Keep us POsted! Can't wait to see your truck again!

Renee'

Quick Reply: Help! I've been screwed!