Sponsored by:

Curt Front mount hitch install fogs retained sorta

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Curt Front mount hitch install fogs retained sorta

Installed my Front mount receiver hitch and winch today. I tried flipping and reversing the brackets like I read in another post to save the fogs but they would not fit through the bumper so I went with plan B, I posted some pics in my gallery, link below. If anyone has any questions about the install ask away and I will answer as soon as I can.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - radmacks's Album: Curt Front Hitch Install

Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
How did you manage to secure the inner bolts (silver ones)? I had a difficult time and finally gave up and swapped them to the outside. Then, I bought the OEM black bolts and retainers in the back to replace it.
Name:  FrontHitch-Post.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  79.4 KB

Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 PM
radmacks
Senior User
I hate the silver look going to spray them with some black gloss tremclad, I bent the handles lit a smoke and sat there taking turns with 2 buddies until we got em. We went from the bottom up on both bolts and just kept bending the bolt handle until we finally got it. I think it took us probably an hour to get the inside silver ones threaded. Not exactly the best design but I like it better then then the lower mounted one. Still have to loosen it up and re center the bumper, its a little off as you can see.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Excursioncamp
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice job. I did the same front hitch on my 02 diesel about 5 years ago, I really like having the hitch available when I'm towing my trailer to either put my bike rack or a utility rack on the front.

What winch do you have and what did you pay for it? Very nice.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by radmacks
I hate the silver look going to spray them with some black gloss tremclad, I bent the handles lit a smoke and sat there taking turns with 2 buddies until we got em. We went from the bottom up on both bolts and just kept bending the bolt handle until we finally got it. I think it took us probably an hour to get the inside silver ones threaded. Not exactly the best design but I like it better then then the lower mounted one. Still have to loosen it up and re center the bumper, its a little off as you can see.
I have been thinking about installing the hitch also. When you say the lower mounted one, do you mean there is a front mount hitch that comes out below the bumper? I need to carry a light weight motorcycle on the front when I am pulling my TT. I'm wondering if this hitch will put the bike up too high and block my forward view?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 AM
radmacks
Senior User
The winch was $349.99 complete with winch mount system at Costco Champion Power Equipment brand, I did some reading up and a Jeep club in BC did a bunch of testing with it and liked them.

Yes there is a model that replaces the blocker beam that sits below the bumper much easier to install and if your mounting bikes and motorcycles I would probably go with the lower one.

We straightened the bumper this morning and painted the tow hooks and bolt heads looks much better now.