95 E350 turbo Diesel E40D transmission torque converter not locking up

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
rallynutdon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E350 turbo Diesel E40D transmission torque converter not locking up

Last fall, the van would not start. Garage thought maybe it was hit by lightning but could find no definite signs of that. They replaced the PCM, IDM (with used units) and Exhaust body pressure sensor and Injector cont pressure sensor (new units), and got it running. I didn’t notice until the trans puked some fluid and ruined the torque converter (which has been replaced) that the torque converter wasn’t locking up. The trans repair shop spliced into the harness (to prove that the torque converter was not the problem) and if I ground that wire the converter will lock up. So I had the original PCM remanufactured. It still won’t lock up. I drove with my mechanic with his diagnosis tool plugged in and it displayed that the PCM was calling for torque converter lockup at the appropriate times. Yes, the cruise control works. The rear diff speed sensor was also replaced about 2 years ago. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
It is probably a damaged wire between the PCM and where they tapped into the wiring.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
rallynutdon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
It is probably a damaged wire between the PCM and where they tapped into the wiring.
Tapped into the wiring <1 inch from the connector, underneath the rubber boot.