6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

MPG With EGR/Pfilter + Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:16 PM
dummy1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPG With EGR/Pfilter + Tuner?

Hello all. I am relatively new at posting but have had many of my questions over the past several months answered simply by reading and studying the posts on this forum. I now have a question with which one or more of you may have some first hand experience.

My truck is a Stock 2008 SD F250 CC 6.4L 3.73 4x4

I am told that by removing the egr/pfilter and adding a tuner that a 5 to 6 mpg increase can be obtained. I believe that this is true. However, my studies of the '08 6.4 lead me to NOT want to delete the egr and particulate filter. Since my truck has 61k miles on it and Ford advises replacing or cleaning the egr/Pfilter in the 125/150k mile range, I can somewhat believe that servicing it now may have at least some favorable affect on economy. Has anyone used a tuner on a 6.4 with a clean or new egr/pfilter? If so what were the results?

FWIW, the truck is regenning at something over 600 miles since the 11 B 23 flash. Mpgs as is are a full 14 mixed driving and a short 17 at under 2000 rpm on the road. These are unloaded/non towing miles.

My interest is obtaining accurate info on economy gains after returning the truck to as close to original specs as I can, and then, use a tuner to better whatever it may. I want as much as I can get but I want to keep the option of returning to stock by a simple "Return to stock with the tuner.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what doing this may achieve? In particular, are there any economy gains in replacing/cleaning the egr/pfilter at 60k.

Thank you all in advance.

Dummy1

Stock 2008 SD F250 CC 6.4L 3.73 4x4

Old 04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dummy1
Hello all. I am relatively new at posting but have had many of my questions over the past several months answered simply by reading and studying the posts on this forum. I now have a question with which one or more of you may have some first hand experience.

My truck is a Stock 2008 SD F250 CC 6.4L 3.73 4x4

I am told that by removing the egr/pfilter and adding a tuner that a 5 to 6 mpg increase can be obtained. I believe that this is true. However, my studies of the '08 6.4 lead me to NOT want to delete the egr and particulate filter. Since my truck has 61k miles on it and Ford advises replacing or cleaning the egr/Pfilter in the 125/150k mile range, I can somewhat believe that servicing it now may have at least some favorable affect on economy. Has anyone used a tuner on a 6.4 with a clean or new egr/pfilter? If so what were the results?

FWIW, the truck is regenning at something over 600 miles since the 11 B 23 flash. Mpgs as is are a full 14 mixed driving and a short 17 at under 2000 rpm on the road. These are unloaded/non towing miles.

My interest is obtaining accurate info on economy gains after returning the truck to as close to original specs as I can, and then, use a tuner to better whatever it may. I want as much as I can get but I want to keep the option of returning to stock by a simple "Return to stock with the tuner.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what doing this may achieve? In particular, are there any economy gains in replacing/cleaning the egr/pfilter at 60k.

Thank you all in advance.

Dummy1

I just put a Spartan tuner on my 08, 4.10 rear 4x2dually. Only the cat/dpf is removed. I don't have a lot of miles yet, and haven't tried all the tunes yet.

The high horsepower tunes are supposed to be the best for mileage.

I just refilled my tank after first full run with the 275 hp tune.
390.3 miles 32.5 gallons 11.7mpg. 75 miles towing 7000lb trailer, 315 miles partly highway at 70-75, only 11.7

So it's not 5-6 mpg, at least not on my drw.

I'll try the 250 tune next.

I want 2-3 mpg improvement towing my show car trailer.. Over stock 9mpg.

Sam

Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 PM
dummy1
Freshman User
MPG With EGR/Pfilter + Tuner? Edit Post

Someone teach Dummy1 how to delete a reply

Last edited by dummy1; 05-01-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: delete reply
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 PM
dummy1
Freshman User
MPG With EGR/Pfilter + Tuner? Edit Post

Someone teach Dummy1 how to delete a reply!

Last edited by dummy1; 04-30-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: delete reply
Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
dummy1
Freshman User
Thanks, Sam. I have heard some pretty impressive reports on milage gains with the dpf removed and a tuner added. I plan to not remove anything, only add a tuner.

I don't expect a lot of gain from this but at $4 plus for fuel, it won't take much gain to realize some savings.

I have not read of anyone replacing or cleaning the egr/dpf at any milage so I want to get the truck as close to completely stock as I can before I do anything else. That means I need to learn if replacing or cleaning the egr/dpf will net any gains or not. If it will, then, a tuner should net some more. A tuner should net some gains regardless but I want to start with a clean system.

It is more important to me to remain stock or be able to return to stock without out having to do any mechanical changes to get there than is is to obtain increased mpg realized by deleting the egr/dpf at this point in time.

Thanks again for the reply.

Dummy1[/QUOTE]

Last edited by dummy1; 05-01-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: to correct text
Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Someone teach Dummy1 how to delete a reply!

fte doesn't support deleting posts by users..

Sam

Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 AM
dummy1
Freshman User
Oh, my! That's awful. I make so many mistakes that not being able to delete them is embarrassing. Oh, well.....

Old 05-01-2011, 12:16 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I am going to suggest that you forget about trying to clean your EGR and your DPF. Why to expensive and I think there is only one company in the Carolinas that does that.

If you pipes are clean and you are getting the max interval between cleaning then your dpf and egr are just fine.

I doubt it if you will 5-6 mpg increase. Even with the delete.

I can get about 17 on the hwy with mine and that is about it. If I had a hwy thread then I suppose I could net another 1 mpg or so.

Keeping off the boost and staying below 2K rpms will be your best bet.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:27 PM
dummy1
Freshman User
Senix, you may be right about cleaning the egr/dpf. What brought it to my mind is the the diesel supplement of the owner pkg. says to replace or clean at 125 to 150k. Also, trucks with much less milage have lighter colored pipes than mine. This supports what the manual says about the soot not being totally eliminated at each cleaning and by the quoted milage the system needs cleaned or replaced. My pipes are not sooty black. The front outlet is a clean dark grey and rear outlet is a clean dark black. This is what suggests to me that cleaning/replacing may be beneficial.

I think that the 5/6 mpg gain may be optimistic but do not know. I am holding my rpms under 2000 as my cruise speed is 65 which equates to 1750 rpm. My empty highway milage is between 16 and 17 mpg. My driving style keeps boost under 10 psi except when load or traffic causes it to go higher.

My driving style seems to fall close to your recommendations and probably accounts for the milage that am getting. However, I am still hoping to locate someone who has serviced the egr/dpf and learn what if any difference in economy/performance that it made.

Thank very much for your input.

dummy1

Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One time I got 21.7 mpg on the lie o meter, and 20.5 calculated!!!

Hopefully a tuner might improve it a little more.

Most of the time I get 15 mpg average over a month or so.

In town has got to be closer to 10-12 mpg

Don't forget that the tuner also can disable regen's, which are really hard on the engine. So it's not just the mileage you gain, it's also longevity.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PS the boost on these 6.4's is something else.

My 7.3 I could try to hit 20psi, the 6.4 i try not to hit 20psi, but it likes its boost.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
richfaa
Elder User
" I am told that by removing the egr/pfilter and adding a tuner that a 5 to 6 mpg increase can be obtained."

Do you also believe in the Easter bunny???

Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by richfaa
" I am told that by removing the egr/pfilter and adding a tuner that a 5 to 6 mpg increase can be obtained."

Do you also believe in the Easter bunny???
He's a newbie here, so lets not blow all his dreams at once!

Sam

Old 05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
dummy1
Freshman User
It just seems reasonable to me that if the system needs cleaning at 125k because is sooted enough to need it and cleaning it will restore performance/mpg to whatever, then, cleaning it at 60k might restore something albeit less. It may not restore anything. That is what I am trying to learn.

Apparently, though, I aint the only one that don't know about this because two local dealerships and Ford Motor Company Technical Support has no clue either.

I can report something about the color in the pipes. Since this post began, I have driven about 700 miles. The driving has been 60/40 highway/city. All driving for the past 2500 miles has been with Ford cetane booster. The pipes are beginning to lighten some and are cleaner than they were when I bought the truck. The latest flash was, also, done about 1200 miles ago.

Maybe, these things are helping. Mpg have been creeping up during this time as well. It could be that I am doing what I should be doing.

Since my interest is in learning about the cleaning/replacing of egr/pfilter and since nobody seems to have any experience with that, maybe, I should seek info on a tuner. Like, will a tuner help anything if the egr/pfilter are not removed?

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

dummy1

Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

It just seems reasonable to me that if the system needs cleaning at 125k because is sooted enough to need it and cleaning it will restore performance/mpg to whatever, then, cleaning it at 60k might restore something albeit less. It may not restore anything. That is what I am trying to learn.

Apparently, though, I aint the only one that don't know about this because two local dealerships and Ford Motor Company Technical Support has no clue either.

I can report something about the color in the pipes. Since this post began, I have driven about 700 miles. The driving has been 60/40 highway/city. All driving for the past 2500 miles has been with Ford cetane booster. The pipes are beginning to lighten some and are cleaner than they were when I bought the truck. The latest flash was, also, done about 1200 miles ago.

Maybe, these things are helping. Mpg have been creeping up during this time as well. It could be that I am doing what I should be doing.

Since my interest is in learning about the cleaning/replacing of egr/pfilter and since nobody seems to have any experience with that, maybe, I should seek info on a tuner. Like, will a tuner help anything if the egr/pfilter are not removed?

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

dummy1

as I said in a prior post, no-one is doing DPF cleaning, so no one knows.
right now it is a dealer only, replaced only part.

as for without removing the DPF.. you WILL have to regen somewhere between 650 and 1000 miles, ford sets the failsafe at 650. otherwise the dpf WILL CLOG, and you WILL stall out. IF you stall out due to DPF clog, the ONLY remedy is to replace the DPF, as it can't be manually cleaned enough to get airflow thru to get up to temp to start regen.

and there is really not much to be gained here anyhow.. 1-2qt of fuel every 200 miles. if 1 gallon every tank, and u could stop it, you would get another 12-18 miles per tank.. at half that another 9.
so stopping regen isn't the mileage increaser.. its leaning out the fuel/air mixture.

Sam

Quick Reply: MPG With EGR/Pfilter + Tuner?