6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Is Zerex G05 the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Dieselpop
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe blow
The 6.0 is known to blow head gaskets. This is why it happens. The Ford Gold coolant contains silicates. The silicates are not able to handle high EGT's generated by a good load or relatively high boost when run through the EGR cooler. They break down into a jell like sludge and fall out of suspension"

So no EGR cooler.....no problem running gold coolant right???
I do not have a EGR delete but i have read somewhere with the delete the temps may go up some, i would not use the Gold junk in anything because it's only good for a max life of 50k where the ELC coolant is good for 300k before you have to even test then go another 300k why spend all the $$$$ on 8 or 10 coolant flushes or 2X that if the motor goes that long.
pop

Old 04-26-2011, 10:27 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 343 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselpop
I do not have a EGR delete but i have read somewhere with the delete the temps may go up some, i would not use the Gold junk in anything because it's only good for a max life of 50k where the ELC coolant is good for 300k before you have to even test then go another 300k why spend all the $$$$ on 8 or 10 coolant flushes or 2X that if the motor goes that long.
pop
I guess I agree to a point, but 2 gallons every couple years isn't that bad....not to mention with that 300k coolant it doesnt give me an excuse to get under the hood and look

Not to mention all the friggin work involved in removing the old stuff??? No thanks

Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
I have not had an EGR cooler for years now, did an FCDP kit...I just recently replaced the lower hose (it rubbed enough to worry me on the p/s gearbox...check yours) and did a third flush. New distilled, new gold coolant.

I'll bet my left nut, it is just fine.

No offense, but is it just me or do some people take things to another level that should never be reached?
joe are your EOTs still the same as when you did the egr deleate

the way I see it is no egr = no golden goo = long lived oil cooler

Ill bet your ok to

Old 04-27-2011, 01:37 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Oh brother....my EGT's (along with a straight piped 4) dropped BIG TIME! When I tow my biga$$ trailer in stock form it rarely goes above 1250*

I had a chance to look inside my manifold the other day and it is soot free and clean as a whistle, aside from the light oil mist due to my CCV not being that efficient but changing to a RACOR setup soon.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,518 Likes on 1,750 Posts
That is why when you get something back from the stealer it is never right so why would you have them do something like this if you want it done right, .........., if you want it done right you do it yourself.
pop
This post is not only way off base, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

I have great respect for Ford Techs, and it only goes up as I learn more about the modern diesel engines.

I do agree that if you do not trust your local shop (Ford, Chevy, independent, etc), it is better off to do it yourself - if you have the skills.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Dieselpop, THANK YOU for taking the time to post all that information for me. Rep points given...

So, that Valvoline ELC is good to go then? I need to track down whatever I am going to use either today or tomorrow and don't know how many options I am going to have here in town. Just want to make sure that stuff is good to go.

Another question for you guys. Like I said, this job is getting handled here at the BMW dealer I work at (the tech is an ex-Ford Diesel tech and is familiar with the job). I am having him do the BP kit and I can't let this become a multi-day full-on restoration of my truck because it can't be in the shop that long. I ordered the Dieselsite coolant filter kit and am wondering if I should just fill the truck with distilled water to drive it out of the shop on Friday, and then do the full flushing at home over the weekend. It's only about a 15 mile ride home.

I'm trying to determine the best time to do the flush. I don't want to get a bunch of crap into my new parts, but as I said in my other thread- my oil cooler is already putting a little oil into my coolant. So the way I see it I have no choice but to put the truck back together with my BP oil cooler and BP EGR Cooler (didn't go delete on that for future versatility). I'm just thinking maybe I run the truck a little this weekend and do some distilled water changes on it before installing the ELC coolant. After all, the oil cooler will no longer be in contact with the coolant and I'm figuring the new BP EGR cooler will be okay. I just want to rinse things out well so I get any oil residue out of the coolant system.

I venture I would also go ahead and wait to install the Dieselsite Coolant Filter kit until after the distilled water "dumps". Does this method sound okay?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
I don't know, call me crazy but after rereading the post on how to flush and clean and purify the inside of the coolant system my head started to hurt. I have one question???? Is all of this really necessary????

I do not think it is. A clean coolant system with filter and 30-50k interval changes is all you need IMO. Which is what is the OP's problem comes down to.

pop
I have not experienced any rise in temperatures, if anything my ECT's dropped and remain constant since the EGR cooler delete.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,518 Likes on 1,750 Posts
I don't know, call me crazy but after rereading the post on how to flush and clean and purify the inside of the coolant system my head started to hurt. I have one question???? Is all of this really necessary????

I do not think it is. A clean coolant system with filter and 30-50k interval changes is all you need IMO. Which is what is the OP's problem comes down to.

I have not experienced any rise in temperatures, if anything my ECT's dropped and remain constant since the EGR cooler delete.
I agree Joe.

There are MANY people running Ford Gold coolant that have 200k miles + on their vehicles - and never experienced the gelling.

The answer to the gelling is not so cut-and-dry as it relates to the choice of coolants.

Additionally to imply that all head gasket issues originate w/ coolant problems is also misleading. I certainly do not dissaprove of the ELC, and it may indeed be better, but the theories need to match the data (all the data).

Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The 6.0 is known to blow head gaskets. This is why it happens. The Ford Gold coolant contains silicates. The silicates are not able to handle high EGT's generated by a good load or relatively high boost when run through the EGR cooler. They break down into a jell like sludge and fall out of suspension"

So no EGR cooler.....no problem running gold coolant right???
Wrong! The egr cooler is simply a by product of the oil cooler plugging. You can egr delete and the oil cooler can and will still plug. You have eliminated the messenger not the cause.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Wrong! The egr cooler is simply a by product of the oil cooler plugging. You can egr delete and the oil cooler can and will still plug. You have eliminated the messenger not the cause.

That is not what I was referring to 69cj......I was referring to the postings indicating that the EGR is responsible for coolant degradation.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 AM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
So let's say someone like me who has never flushed,and is going to do a cooler soon,what route do I go?. The restore sounds good,as does the vc9. right now I've got just distilled water in the engine,and a coolant filter.no point in antifreeze when its coming out in a week.either way,it'll be a t stat out flush.ive already drained and filled radiator twice with distilled water.suggestions anyone?.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That is not what I was referring to 69cj......I was referring to the postings indicating that the EGR is responsible for coolant degradation.
IMHO it is the heat in the oil cooler that causes the silicate drop out to plug the oil cooler 1st since the passages are so small.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:40 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
....so are we in agreeance that a healthy coolant interval schedule and coolant filter is sufficient???

Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 PM
MoreSteam
Junior User
I still have gold in mine ,and the shop who performed the work said that is all they have been putting back in. After forking out $4,800 in repairs I needed to get the truck out of there ASAP.
I said to the service rep (non Ford shop) about just filling it with distilled water ,and he asked me if I had a way to get all the air out of the system.
So what is up with this? Is this an issue for anyone who wants to put something other than gold in?
The truck runs great ,but I wish I could just make it go AWAY!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MoreSteam
I still have gold in mine ,and the shop who performed the work said that is all they have been putting back in. After forking out $4,800 in repairs I needed to get the truck out of there ASAP.
I said to the service rep (non Ford shop) about just filling it with distilled water ,and he asked me if I had a way to get all the air out of the system.
So what is up with this? Is this an issue for anyone who wants to put something other than gold in?
The truck runs great ,but I wish I could just make it go AWAY!!!

I am not sure what you are asking....your post doesn't really make sense. What exactly are you looking at "getting out of there"? The air...the gold coolant????

Quick Reply: Is Zerex G05 the way to go?