Sponsored by: Moser

What to do in a Truck Show?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:04 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
What to do in a Truck Show?

I am thinking of entering a Truck Show here in beautiful Redwood City California on May 7th. I have never done this sort of thing before and I wanted to know what to do for those 7 hours? Do I make up flyers that show off my truck or do I just break out the lawn chair and cooler and sit back and talk truck all day. (Not that I don't mind talking truck)

I have a few paint blemishes but no dents or scratches and it runs perfectly and it's quite the looker for being 32 years old. (IMO)

What do I do?

Here's the link. http://www.letstalkevents.com/pdf%20...uck%20Show.pdf

Last edited by NBC-Steve; 04-23-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 AM
KrautBurner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
I am thinking of entering a Truck Show here in beautiful Redwood City California on May 7th. I have never done this sort of thing before and I wanted to know what to do for those 7 hours? Do I make up flyers that show off my truck or do I just break out the lawn chair and cooler and sit back and talk truck all day. (Not that I don't mind talking truck)

I have a few paint blemishes but no dents or scratches and it runs perfectly and it's quite the looker for being 32 years old. (IMO)

What do I do?

you got it !!!
"do I just break out the lawn chair and cooler and sit back and talk truck all day"

you will end up walking around the show to check out all the other trucks, that will take a couple hours
you may wanna have a poster board done that explains your build (for people who stop by when you're out wandering around)

Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts
Bring you some portable shad, refreshments and a comfy lawn chair, and talk trucks. To break the boredom walk around and ck out the folks rides.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
A good lawn chair and a cooler full of your favorite beverage................having done the car show thing in the past, You've got to do it to just enjoy being there. Don't get all hung up over winning trophies.................Too many of the people that show their vehicles get WAAAYYYYY too hung up over that. To the point that they are pissed if they don't win something. In the past my wife and I showed our '72 Chevelle and our '72 Nova. Neither were spit and polished show cars, just really nice drivers. We have won a few trophies with both of them, but thats not why we were doing it. We were there to enjoy ourselves. Talking with freinds and strangers about cars, looking at some nice vehicles and just enjoying a day in the sun. Most of the shows we attended only allowed the participants to do the voting, which in the end boils down to whether you are in the right clique or not. Which in my opinion is not the fair way of doing it.The one trophy that means the most to both me and my wife is one that we got at a show that also had "people's choice" And our ol' Nova was it...........That one means something......the public liked our car. The rest are basically dust collectors. So.............Load up that cooler...........find a good spot to park your lawn chair and ENJOY. People will stop and ask questions about your rig............You will have fun if you dont get wrapped up in the politics..............

Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 AM
KrautBurner
Elder User
check the rules on what "Beverages" you can bring in your cooler

(when sitting around in the sun all day, I prefer good ole' PBR)

Edit: that was my 100th post !!!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hang out...

Old 04-24-2011, 01:30 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never took one of my trucks to a show but I have taken my 1944 A John Deere to many tractor shows. I just set back in a lawn chair and talk with people as they walk by and walk around to look at other people's tractors. Enter it into the slow race if they have one, tractor starting contest(hand start tractors), crack a egg contest...etc.

It would be nice to have a game to enter your truck in at a car show. Who's starts best or something?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79FordBlake
I have never took one of my trucks to a show but I have taken my 1944 A John Deere to many tractor shows. I just set back in a lawn chair and talk with people as they walk by and walk around to look at other people's tractors. Enter it into the slow race if they have one, tractor starting contest(hand start tractors), crack a egg contest...etc.

It would be nice to have a game to enter your truck in at a car show. Who's starts best or something?
Sweet, my great uncle still has my great grandpas '45 JD.

I wouldnt mind taking mine to a car show along with my '62 Plymouth sometime.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:00 PM
shookdaddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea bud just go n have fun lawnchair cooler n meet new people me n my wife use to goto carshows all the time n will start goin again now that its gettn warm around here n we have fun thats the best advice i can give

Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 PM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
nbc relax and talk truck as the others have said having done the car show thing in alberta for the last 7 years with my s/c and reg cab/502 stroker i have a great time meeting people,gaining new freinds, and talking truck trust me if it is a fairly big one with lots of folks stopping by you will not be board trust me i have even gained the insight for parts/part trucks a few times,had offers to buy my trucks ect ect ect go and enjoy as its a great safe place to park while you look at the other cars!!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:37 PM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
p.s. i almost forgot if you have pics of your build put them in an album and put it on a small table beside your truck people love that!! as they will ask all sorts of ?s as i have very detailed pics of my trucks from start to finish in albums its a great conversation peice i also bring my full collection of die cast collectable 78/79 ford trucks and set them on the dash i never made up a sign showing any thing yet and unless you "show" this truck at very high calabure shows dont worry about it not needed and the local "show&shines"

Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM
77460f150
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
All of the above post's are right on! Just sit back and talk trucks and enjoy the "scenery". Hopefully the weather will be nice too so, take some sun blocker and/or shade such as an easy up. It's also a great place to get some ideas while looking at other participants vehicles for your rig as well. -Ed

PS- take some pics and post here after the show!!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I used to have a lot of fun entering my Dodge in shows. It's a great way to meet people of all ages with the same interest, and sometimes you might find someone who has a spare part that you've been looking for, or has a connection on where you can get it.
My only advice I'd give (to all of you) is to always make time for any kids you talk to. They are the next generation of car enthusiasts, and we need to do everything we can to nurture that enthusiasm.