1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

What is the most common issue, for rear A/C not working?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Turx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the most common issue, for rear A/C not working?

My rear A/C isn't working, the charge is correct and no leaks. Is there something in-line (freon line) that goes bad? The rear heat works fine, the front A/C works fine. I'm wondering if this is a common problem, like the "odometer blackout" problem, that someone has figured out.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 AM
alloro
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,434 Posts
Define "not working". Blows slow, blows hot, blows cool not cold, doesn't blow at all, etc.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 PM
hodges710
Senior User
What exactly are you meaning by odometer blackout, i just never heard of a problem and was curious to hear about it, thanks.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:44 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
How about the blend door in the rear?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hodges710
What exactly are you meaning by odometer blackout, i just never heard of a problem and was curious to hear about it, thanks.
Not the thread for this, but it is pretty common to have a cold solder joint or two on the back of the odometer. Remelt the bad joints and you are good to go.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
racerock
Senior User
Originally Posted by alloro
Define "not working". Blows slow, blows hot, blows cool not cold, doesn't blow at all, etc.

Well, here is my definition and am pretty sure it is the same as the OP:

Front HVAC - you can switch from A/C to heat, and everything moves accordingly - cold comes out vents, adjust the temp, and the air changes temp. Move to floor, adjust the temp and everything fine

Problem area below:

Rear HVAC:

Rear Heat - not a problem - warm air comes out floor vents. (I'd have to check to see if the temperature changes with the setting - suggesting blend door... hmmm....)

Swith to A/C coming out the roof - the air comes out the roof vent, but the problem is that it is HOT...

Mine was doing this intermittently, now it may be more of a permanent problem..

I remember searching last summer, did not find any posts saying it is always one thing... So, now it is getting warmer, and need the Navi for a trip so need to fix it.

Is there a common problem? I would appreciate any insite...

Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by racerock
Well, here is my definition and am pretty sure it is the same as the OP:

Front HVAC - you can switch from A/C to heat, and everything moves accordingly - cold comes out vents, adjust the temp, and the air changes temp. Move to floor, adjust the temp and everything fine

Problem area below:

Rear HVAC:

Rear Heat - not a problem - warm air comes out floor vents. (I'd have to check to see if the temperature changes with the setting - suggesting blend door... hmmm....)

Swith to A/C coming out the roof - the air comes out the roof vent, but the problem is that it is HOT...

Mine was doing this intermittently, now it may be more of a permanent problem..

I remember searching last summer, did not find any posts saying it is always one thing... So, now it is getting warmer, and need the Navi for a trip so need to fix it.

Is there a common problem? I would appreciate any insite...
If you look up rear blend doors you will see it is a common problem. Sounds to me like your temp blend door actuator is broken, luckily for you it is the easier of the two to fix and should take 5 minutes. Based on your description it sounds like you can switch from floor to ceiling without issues, and even though you've only checked warm from the floor and AC from the ceiling, I would assume you would still get warm AC from the floor if you tried it.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 AM
racerock
Senior User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
If you look up rear blend doors you will see it is a common problem. Sounds to me like your temp blend door actuator is broken, luckily for you it is the easier of the two to fix and should take 5 minutes. Based on your description it sounds like you can switch from floor to ceiling without issues, and even though you've only checked warm from the floor and AC from the ceiling, I would assume you would still get warm AC from the floor if you tried it.
Thanks, for the confirmation - I did a few searches after posting the reply above last night and saw a few threads. should be getting into it this week sometime. I do see the part is readily available...

It seemed that last summer when I did some searching, it was not as common a problem.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:01 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Pull the change tray under the rear quarter window and you can move the blend door by hand to double check the diagnosis.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Jeckler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
I thought the temp actuator was the one on the face? Definately not the easier one to replace.

Here's the thread I used when I did mine a month or two ago... Page 4&5 is my contribution.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...lend-door.html

Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 PM
racerock
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeckler
I thought the temp actuator was the one on the face? Definately not the easier one to replace.

Here's the thread I used when I did mine a month or two ago... Page 4&5 is my contribution.
You are correct.

The one on top front changes the outlet - it is a two position actuator and has a cross shaft.

The one on the face (harder to get to) is for the temperature adjustment, "infinate" positions and has the D shaped shaft

I'll post my feedback on the other thread, but in all honesty, with improved feedback to turn the motors off, they would not fail as much, but would cost more...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jeckler

Yup, my bad. He's screwed. Actually not screwed, just out a little more time and a few curses. I posted the instructions in the 4th post and just wasn't thinking when I replied in this thread.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:02 AM
bkarma4life
New User
Can you help me please?

Hi, Im sorry to jump in on this thread.. But, Im kinda of having the same problem. Except, my a/c works in the front and back rear but NOT the rear ceiling vents (which is located behind the driver and passenger seat).. No air at all blows from them.. I have two little girls and Im about to have to make a length trip from one side of Tx to the other.. I need to try to fix this before I make the trip. Any advice is greatly appreciated. And, thank you in advance.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Jeckler
Freshman User
Everything you need is in this thread and the one linked above.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
tgudmunson2008
New User
Looking for gears

Hey all,
I've been to all the salvage yards here, only one had an expedition in their yard and he wouldn't sell the gears alone for the temp blend motor. He actually wanted to charge me more for the motor setup than what I could get for new! Any ways I was hoping someone here could locate or have a couple that I could purchase. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: What is the most common issue, for rear A/C not working?