1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

03 Crown Vic IFS Install in 54 M100

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long weekend wasn't very productive on truck front.
Went camping, lots of rain, drinking and a little bit of fishing a 24'' pike that got away. Came back went to wreckers and got steering shafts out of 04 CV $5.00
"I'm so sick from the drink, I need home for a rest" (Spirit of the West)

Thanks for the support everyone, I'll be at it tomorrow.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Shane,
If you don't mind my asking questions while you are recuperating -
I've looked at steering columns & they seem to be priced like gold.
From what I can tell it's:
Column $300 at least
Adapter $50
column drop $65
Horn Button $35
& Borgeson joints to hook up to steering rack. $80?
Oh yeah & a steering wheel $250.

Grand Total like $800

I like your $5 approach - Can you explain what it is?

Ben in Austin

Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Ok First I have to say that this isn't my finished plan that will have Billet Wheel and polished steering column.
when I bought the truck the seller gave me some advice " get it running, safe and drive it, then get it pretty"
So I stripped the steering wheel and column, mounts and pedals and brake booster and MC out of the 85 CV.
I mounted the 85 Steering wheel and brake pedal mount in the 54. I cut the 03 CV steering shaft that comes right off the box about 1 1/2'' from top. I cut the 85 steering shaft below the coupling and have slid them both into a 3/4'' inside Dia pipe to get approx length of steering shaft. I have a second steering shaft from a 03CV that I will get welded to a 85 shaft through 3/4'' ID pipe.

Right now I need to get it running, stopping and sttering in order to be loaded on truck and shipped east

Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mrdragoon
. I have a second steering shaft from a 03CV that I will get welded to a 85 shaft through 3/4'' ID pipe.
Hi, that would be OK to get it moved only but it is my understanding (subject to correction) and not that its not done but in most States and Provinces welding on steering components is not permitted by the various motor vehicle acts and would not pass an inspection. Worse then that, the way our legal systems works, if you where in a accident no matter what caused it and a subsequent mechanical inspection found the welds no matter who did them I think it would not be a good day. Especially if someone was killed. Just a heads-up.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 AM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Thanks OLD F1 for that heads up
I will be definetly getting the proper gear after the move. Can't wait to put new shiny stuff on it anyway.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Romak
Senior User
just another option. I used a steering column out of a 79 F150. I got everything from the wheel to the gear box. I was able to take apart the collapsable section of the 03 CV shaft and cut the bottom Joint off of the f150 shaft and the 2 sections were a very tight fit together. I hammerd the F150 shaft into the hollow section of the CV shaft about 10 inches or so (the CV shaft has long rolled in sections) then drilled a hole threw the center and ran a grade 8 bolt threw it. I would think that if it actually were ever in a bad wreck the bolt would snap and the shaft would collaps but I hope to never find out. it is very strong and didnt even need the bolt to be sturdy but I felt safer that way. Ive been driving mine for a year now every day with absolutly no issues.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI guys, drilling through a steering shaft can reduce it's rotational strength by as much as 40%, if you can telescope shafts together a simple set screw should be all that's required, JMHO

Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Thanks guys,
keep the ideas coming, It's always good to get as much info as possible before comitting to something.
FATFENDERS56 That is pretty much what I have done but I will look for a thicker OD pipe possibly Stainless Steel that I can get pressed into a DD shape which will fit both steering shafts and use a set screw.

So tonight I attempted installing the exhaust manifold. It went in but rubs against the 85 CV steering coupling.Some grinding will be needed. Headers should be much more interesting LOL.
Radiator is installed but looks a bit too close to fan. Is there a fan for a 351W that has a shorter shaft?

Park brake from 85 CV is installed, I'll pick up explorer brake cables tomorrow

Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Don't skimp or try to take shortcuts with your steering. It's as important as brakes.

Mock up or moving from one place to another may be OK but don't try to drive it like that.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
BACAGrizz,
This mock up is so that I can get this thing moved without the steering failing me or the guys trying to load it.
I lost the steering in a military vehicle once and had to make something work to get back to the safe area. I totally understand how safe it must be and it is right there with the brakes it won't go on a road until it passes a safety inspection.

Thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 AM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
So I've been pretty busy lately with the truck the clock is ticking.

STEERING- I managed to get 6'' of 120 series 3/4''ID pipe that I had a machinist put 6 set screws into so that holds the 2 different linkages together 85CV and 03CV. I now have strong arm steering. As I've said this is a temp solution until I get the truck moved then I will get my Shiny stuff. The linkage does rub against my exhaust mainfolds but it's at the U joint so with a shorter steering shaft this shouldn't be an issue. Headers could be interesting.
I picked up some extra 03CV linkages out of the Wreckers so I should be good later on FORD wants $350.00 for a new one. Not today

TIRE / FENDER CLEARANCE- I've put the outer fender on the passenger side there is no rubbing. I put a 4'' concrete block under the tire and cut the steering hard to both sides still 1 1/2 -2'' of clearance. Yes I realise If I have to cut it hard at such and such speed it might rub. I'll let everyone know that when I finally get it on the road andhave to avoid a giant pothole. Really I can't wait for that day not the pot hole but actually driving it.

PARK BRAKE - Original needs some TLC so I fired the 85CV into it just need to hook it up to the back.

RADIATOR- I used the 85 CV that was originally hooked to the 351W made up some mounts and it looks OK but I think it might be too close to the fan. Shouldn't be an issue unless I get running prior to moving. ( not likely)

Thanks for following along

If anyone from Eastern Canada is reading this and is having a truck hauled from Saskatchewan or Manitoba out your way contact me.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mrdragoon
If anyone from Eastern Canada is reading this and is having a truck hauled from Saskatchewan or Manitoba out your way contact me.
Man, am I confused, not sure what you mean, I thought (?) that you where going East? Anyway, here is a link to a guy that hauls back and forth across Canada; you’re on your own!

going cross Canada June 15th! Book your spots! - Canadian Rodder Hot Rod Community Forum

Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Thanks OLD F1,

Yes I live in Winnipeg, and am moving to Nova Scotia at the end of June. If anyone was having a vehicle brought from the prairies out to Nova Scotia I'd be interested in talking with them.
Called and left message, fingers crossed

Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
I finally got around to adding more photos to my album. Check it out

Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
So the truck is now on route to it's new home in Greenwood NS. Hope to see it soon. I went with Performance Auto Carriers out of Ontario. $2050.00 I will get reimbursed from work so I'm not losing anything. Thanks to everyone that tried helping me out on this. in a few weeks i'll be back at it. Taking it apart to get it all done right. We should be in Greenwood for 3 yrs. Lots of time to play in the garage

Quick Reply: 03 Crown Vic IFS Install in 54 M100