6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Any last words of wisdom before ordering tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:16 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any last words of wisdom before ordering tuner?

Hey all

About to order a 1999$ spartan tuner.

Last i checked this seemed to be the best tuner available for mileage with dpf off .

Unless anyone has any drastic warnings or etc i'll probably order later today.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
does that include the intake filter? I did one (spartan) without, and NOW they tell me I shouldn't run the 250/275 tunes without some improved intake, as the stock filter doesn't flow enough..

Sam

Old 04-14-2011, 01:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
guages are a must and don't tow unless you are closer to stock HP. that is my thoughts.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:58 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I think the unit tells you EGT's etc. as your driving.

It is the kit with DOC / DPF removal pipes and new air intake.

IT has stock tune without dpf.

It also has 40 hp - 310 hp modes including 210 tow.

Most likely i will use 270 / 310 for daily driving & mileage, and stock minus dpf for towing.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:02 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Off Road Tunes

* 40HP
* 75HP
* 120HP
* 150HP
* 175HP
* 210HP
* 210HP Tow
* 250HP
* Stock DPF Delete

* Phalanx Flash Console w/13 custom tunes above, Spartan DPF/CAT (DOC), S&B Cold Air Intake Kit. INCLUDES +275HP and +310HP Nutty Professor Tune. A $400.00 bonus!! Our most popular and recommended package. Comes complete with the Phalanx Console, 12 standard custom tunes, Spartan DPF/CAT(DOC), an S&B Cold Air Intake, AND both the 275HP and 310HP Race tunes!

ford-night-by-javi + + sblargejpg + nutty1
*NOTE: Off road use ONLY

Product : phlxnuttypkg | Phalanx Flash Console w/15 custom tunes , Spartan DPF/CAT Delete Pipe, SB w/310HP | Price/Unit : USD 1,999.00

Along with its tuning ability, the Phalanx offers a full line of parameter monitoring and datalogging, serving as a full set of digital AND analog gauges, with the ability to monitor:

* Exhaust Gas Temperature

* Engine Coolant Temperature

* Engine Oil Temperature

* Boost

* Transmission Temperature

* Fuel Rail Pressure

* Fuel Rail Temperature

* Injection Timing

* Fuel Delivery Volume

* Regeneration Status

* Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure

* Intake Air Temperature

* Charge Air Temperature

* and hundreds (literally) of other parameters.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You won't regret getting it. I have been running the 275 for a week now since they made it available to those with just the level 1 license, and I love how my truck runs with it since the trans has relearned.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by parkland
I think the unit tells you EGT's etc. as your driving.

It is the kit with DOC / DPF removal pipes and new air intake.

IT has stock tune without dpf.

It also has 40 hp - 310 hp modes including 210 tow.

Most likely i will use 270 / 310 for daily driving & mileage, and stock minus dpf for towing.
I have just loaded the 250 dpf off tune.. still need to get a filter.
my objective is mileage while towing, and Spartan has said for the low weight I pull, 7000lbs, I should be ok on the 250 tune.

I currently monitor EGT, Oil temp, Coolant Temp, and occasionally tranny temp

Sam

Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I have just loaded the 250 dpf off tune.. still need to get a filter.
my objective is mileage while towing, and Spartan has said for the low weight I pull, 7000lbs, I should be ok on the 250 tune.

Sam
To the OP, do it and don't look back, you will not regret it at all.

To Sam: I have towed up to 8000lbs with the 275 and have been very careful to monitor everything on the guages and have never had an issue. I rarely see any increase in any temps or EGT's and if I do it's only by a couple degrees which only makes sense when pulling weight. I make sure I'm easy on the throttle when taking off and other than that it pulls like a machine.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Brandon D
To the OP, do it and don't look back, you will not regret it at all.

How did you fit 900w subs in yours? I thought of installing a stereo but sub boxes are huge!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Spartan is an excellent choice, particularly if you're happy with sticking with your stock sticks, snails, pump and tranny...otherwise that's a helluva slippery slope that requires a truckload of money and custom tuning, something Eric @ Innovative Diesel Performance is an authority on...

FYI, since you didn't state what model year your truck is, if you have an '08/early build/Job 1 6.4 you will need a Spartan TCM to run the higher level HP tunes (275HP and up). Just keep in mind that might be another $700 you'll have to come up with...

If you're looking to save some money, (and who among us isn't...!) you might wanna just go with the budget/performance intake mod thread I posted HERE and spend the money elsewhere. You'll have no problem running the higher horsepower tunes and not tripping the filter minder or triggering a CEL.

The true/REAL (not Lie-O-Meter) MPG increase can be significant, anywhere from 2-5 MPG IF you can keep your foot out of the skinny pedal, which will prove to be exceptionally difficult with that much extra power readily available.

If you've never experienced it and you can't help from flat-footing it from a dead stop, prepare yourself for voluminous amounts of axle-wrap and tire-hop, the solution to which is typically the installation of traction bars.

Just in case you're wondering, what would I know, I've done up my buddy's '08 F350 with Spartan tuning (and a whole bunch of other stuff) and my truck (an '10 F250) is running a SCT LiveWire (which has a significantly less bitchin' display than Spartan's DashDaq) on Eric's/IDP Xtreme tunes (currently running Xtreme Street). Eric says he spends more time on the transmission tuning than he does the motor, and it definitely shows...

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
How do i find out if i have a job 1 truck and need that; is there a code in the vin?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:17 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

How do i find out if i have a job 1 truck and need that; is there a code in the vin?
look on the white tag on the back post of the drivers door. the date in the upper left will tell you when it was manufactured, and the tech sticky topic has a section on date to job number.

my 08 date is 4/07, and is a Job 1.

Sam

Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
mine is 06 / 07 so i guess its a job 1.
Crap.

I guess no 275 or 310 hp tunes for me.

I'm not going to spend 700$ just for that extra little bit of power.

Are the job 1 trucks equipped with weaker trannies, or i need that trans commander just cause the programmer is unable to communicate with it?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Great info, keep it coming cuz I'm in the same shoes.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
mine is 06 / 07 so i guess its a job 1.
Crap.

I guess no 275 or 310 hp tunes for me.

I'm not going to spend 700$ just for that extra little bit of power.

Are the job 1 trucks equipped with weaker trannies, or i need that trans commander just cause the programmer is unable to communicate with it?
The way I understand it (and Mick @ Spartan can confirm this for you for sure) it's not the tranny that's weak, to the contrary it's quite stout, especially compared to weaksauce trannys that plague the Chevy and Dodges, it's that the TCM isn't capable of raising the shift pressures high enough to handle the higher HP tunes, where the Spartan TCM can. I've heard that the Spartan TCM is just an updated TCM that's found on the later build 6.4s, but I don't know that for sure and that could just be intrawebz rumor...

(Also, you can run the same budget/DIY performance intake I mentioned in my previous post.)

The '08 F350 I built (and are still building out) for my buddy is a Spartanized Job1 with their TCM. He LOVES it, especially with the OUO traction bars (that's another $1K+ by the way), but he also REALLY liked going for a ride in my truck that's running Eric's Xtreme Street with firm shifting. That extra $700 for the TCM is definitely a spicy meatball and you could easily go with another tuner and spend that money elsewhere.

You might want to look at Eric's/IDP SCT LiveWire with his Xtreme tuning package. His Xtreme Street program is good for 280+ RWHP and his Xtreme Race is good for 300+ RWHP. As long as you keep the shift pressure "firm" (it's adjustable in the user options) your tranny will be happy... You can also run his standard Street program and soften up the shifts a bit and not worry about slipping the torque converter and it still good for 150+ RWHP over stock, perfect for those Sunday morning trips to church! Eric's shifting programming/strategies are legendarily awesome and reliable (and don't require a new TCM), the drawback being the craptastic display the LiveWire has.

Solution? Edge CTS as your gauge monitor, almost as super sexy and functional as Spartan's DashDaq XL, but around $400 plus mounting bracket ($40ish from Rudy's I believe). That would put you ahead of the game money-wise, with top shelf motor AND tranny programming. H&S is also an excellent option for you and has a very decent display to boot...

Quick Reply: Any last words of wisdom before ordering tuner?