1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

NO power to vacuum solenoid for ESOF hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO power to vacuum solenoid for ESOF hubs?

I just discovered that my hubs are locked in and won't disengage. The 4x4 seems to work with the 4x4 dash light on and clicks when you turn it on and off. There is vacuum to the solenoid and none coming out. No power to the solenoid. The 30 amp fuse seems to be okay. Any ideas on where the problem could be?

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have a digital ohm meter, i would check the selenoid's 3 pins.. you should have resistance between all 3.. any combination..
I had the same problem as you, but i never tried to check for power.. I replace the selenoid from Ford.. and it fixed it.. (it had open resistance on 2 of the pins. )

Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
If you have a digital ohm meter, i would check the selenoid's 3 pins.. you should have resistance between all 3.. any combination..
I had the same problem as you, but i never tried to check for power.. I replace the selenoid from Ford.. and it fixed it.. (it had open resistance on 2 of the pins. )
Thanks!
I don't have one but could probably figure something out. I don't know how it's supposed to work, such as, does the power stay on when the switch is on. And what happens when it tries to unlock the hubs?
And, how can I release the hubs if I can't find an inexpensive fix for this.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
I read somewhere that there is mesh breather built into the bar that you manually turn.. it stated that this needs to be clean..so the hubs work properly.. Have you been in "hub deep" mud ? Have you tried to just remove the vacuum lines from the hubs ?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stick around Wayne, Payson Robin should be by for some more trouble shooting to add to Clint's how too's, his pics and graphs are outstanding as you know. I checked my selenoid last year, I pulled that looped hose towards the front while the key was on and felt suction on one end so I know it was working. Good luck bud, should be an easy fix. Also wanted to add, did you do the per Guzzles hub maintence??? I still need to do mine, weathers getting nice, this week for me..

Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
I read somewhere that there is mesh breather built into the bar that you manually turn.. it stated that this needs to be clean..so the hubs work properly.. Have you been in "hub deep" mud ? Have you tried to just remove the vacuum lines from the hubs ?
No, I haven't done anything extraordinary like that. I disconnected the vacuum line from the solenoid to the hubs. Maybe I should check the axles to see if they'll turn now. Is that a reasonable thought?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Yep... the axles should spin free if the hubs are disenaged..

Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Originally Posted by big poppa
Stick around Wayne, Payson Robin should be by for some more trouble shooting to add to Clint's how too's, his pics and graphs are outstanding as you know. I checked my selenoid last year, I pulled that looped hose towards the front while the key was on and felt suction on one end so I know it was working. Good luck bud, should be an easy fix. Also wanted to add, did you do the per Guzzles hub maintence??? I still need to do mine, weathers getting nice, this week for me..
Mike, I have vacuum to the solenoid. When I turn the 4x4 switch on it lights up on the dash and you can hear a click under the truck but there's no voltage to the solenoid and no vacuum coming out of it.

WE did a modified maint. using guzzles kit when we put new unit bearings on, and replaced the vacuum lines to the hub per Springer Pops suggestion.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Waynenap
Mike, I have vacuum to the solenoid. When I turn the 4x4 switch on it lights up on the dash and you can hear a click under the truck but there's no voltage to the solenoid and no vacuum coming out of it.

WE did a modified maint. using guzzles kit when we put new unit bearings on, and replaced the vacuum lines to the hub per Springer Pops suggestion.
I remember you getting new hub bearings but thought I would ask anyway about the auto locking maint. Subscribed..what to know whats going on too.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Update. I worked the manual hubs severeal times this AM but it was pouring rain since yesterday pm so didn't crawl under the truck to check the axles. After work today, I crawled under the truck and they spun freely. I'm happy about that, but don't know whether it was breaking the vacuum line yesterday afternoon that unlocked them, or the working the manuals this am. I probably still have a problem, maybe the solenoid and will ohm it out when I can. I'm getting ready to move to Phoenix early next month and don't want to spend a dime more than I need to.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:47 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
If you need a digital ohm meter cheap, get one from Harbor Frieght.. less than $10..

Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Thanks for the info and the help, Clint! I'll have to look into it soon, as I need to get one anyway.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
I'd offer to send you my cost efficent test meter, it works perfectly but to send it back to me would be the cost to buy one from from your local Wal-mart or parts store. Think I paid less than 10.00 for it, let me know.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Originally Posted by big poppa
I'd offer to send you my cost efficent test meter, it works perfectly but to send it back to me would be the cost to buy one from from your local Wal-mart or parts store. Think I paid less than 10.00 for it, let me know.
Thanks a lot Mike! I'll pick one up somewhere. Probably won't make me or break me. LOL

Old 04-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
I picked up a $15 digital multimeter at Advance and ohmed the 3 pins on the solenoid terminal. No reading between any of them. know what I have to do now.

Thanks guys for the help and direction!

Quick Reply: NO power to vacuum solenoid for ESOF hubs?