Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust manifold horror story

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SAF
Check to see that they have put the SP wires back in the correct firing order, also check all the boots at the plug, maybe they cracked/fell apart when the mechanic was working with them...make sure they are all seated at the distributor...
Originally Posted by Xclimation
+2 on checking the spark plugs.
A small barely visible crack in the ceramic part of the plugs will cause the truck to run like crap.
Happened to me.
Good luck!
Guys. he said it is a 6 cyl. The intake and exhaust are on the other side of the engine. There is NO WAY that they touched the spark plugs or wires when doing an intake and exhaust manifold

Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever you find it to be, don't ever go back to this shop again.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 70torino429
Whatever you find it to be, don't ever go back to this shop again.
I disagree, you should give them a chance to fix their mistake and decide depending on how they handle the situation.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 AM
superdutymj
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't knock the shop right away. Coincidences happen. Take yesterday for example. I did a full tuneup on my 95 F-350, spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor, changed engine oil, tranny oil, and rearend oil. Took her for a test drive, and the *****er dies on me on the highway 2 miles north of town. WTF. Luckily I have my own wrecker rig and got a ride to town from my wife and went and fetched the truck. Tested the fuel system today and have 1 psi of pressure. Very little symptoms leading up to this (hard start now and again). Moral of the story, don't be so quick to judge the last guy who worked on the truck. Stranger things have happened

Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Could it possibly be, a rag in one of the ports? Just asking, as they had to obviously CLEAN everything....Just a question....

My dad used to drive a semi truck for a company, that thir mechanic forgot a rag....Somehow ended up in the turbo intake tube.....Hmmmm...Just saying.....

Hope ya get it fixed..

-Wes

Old 04-09-2011, 11:31 AM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bashby
I disagree, you should give them a chance to fix their mistake and decide depending on how they handle the situation.
When they already lied and tried saying it just badly needs a tune up? Sorry, but at the shop where I work after doing a job like that the truck suddenly ran like crap, we wouldn't just pass it off back to the customer like that.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:09 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for all the responses! taking into account that the exhaust manifold suddenly separated and got really loud, i think the problem must be a leak at the intake manifold causing it to run like crap. the shop promised me a 1 year/12,000 mile guarantee, regardless of the fact that i provided the parts. im bringing the truck back first thing monday morning, so i will be sure to let you guys know what the outcome is. thanks again so far.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 PM
SAF
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Guys. he said it is a 6 cyl. The intake and exhaust are on the other side of the engine. There is NO WAY that they touched the spark plugs or wires when doing an intake and exhaust manifold

>>>NO WAY<<<

Oookay, if you say so...

Old 04-09-2011, 08:12 PM
RJR99SS
Elder User
i'd say it would probably be that they put the spark plug wires back on in the wrong order if it's a v-8. I'd check them anyways, just to be sure.

Another thing is check if there's any vacuum lines laying around that they forgot to plug in. If they took the plenum off, i'm sure they had to disconnect a bunch

Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
ostrx250
Senior User
octane you are on it im pretty sure the new exhaust manifold and the intake have to be planed cuz they warp. give the shop a chance to get it fixed but i agree with 70torino they should have given you a call and explained that they were having some issues.tell us how it goes

Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Ohio Ford Farm
Elder User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Could it possibly be, a rag in one of the ports? Just asking, as they had to obviously CLEAN everything....Just a question....

My dad used to drive a semi truck for a company, that thir mechanic forgot a rag....Somehow ended up in the turbo intake tube.....Hmmmm...Just saying.....

Hope ya get it fixed..

-Wes
Almost sounds as if the cat is now plugged. It is possible something such as a rag got left behind or fell down tho open exhaust pipe while the manifold was off. this would have built up back pressure and made something blow out giving you your loud exhaust.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Ohio Ford Farm
Almost sounds as if the cat is now plugged. It is possible something such as a rag got left behind or fell down tho open exhaust pipe while the manifold was off. this would have built up back pressure and made something blow out giving you your loud exhaust.
that is a possibility, but what are the odds? its not like the open exhaust is that big. however, when the truck got louder i think it started to run a hint better. maybe the noise is throwing me off tho.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Ohio Ford Farm
Elder User
Originally Posted by octaneforce
that is a possibility, but what are the odds? its not like the open exhaust is that big. however, when the truck got louder i think it started to run a hint better. maybe the noise is throwing me off tho.
Im my place.. the odd are quite high! LOL I can see myself sticking a rag in the pipe to keep crap out, Then get the manifold ready to bolt on, carry it over, set in place and start running bolts in forgetting there is a rag in the pipe. .. If they got in a rush to get it done with time to pick it up before closing for the day ... even more possible.

Just saying it would make sense to me. The back pressure would make it run poor as hell! the fact it make something POP in the exhaust, I might be willing to bet that some place/s your new exhaust gasket is blown. If so that would point even harder to plugged exhaust.

I'm just saying. 9 time out of 10 if something is a miss all of a sudden.. and someone worked on something.. I tend to go to what they worked on. Problem is normally there most times. Were all human and make mistakes. .. with that said Hell I could be WAY wrong here LOL

Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
i brought the truck back to the shop today. turns out that they cracked the egr tube when doing the manifolds. they welded it shut and now the truck is quiet and running smoother than ever before. i brought it in the morning and they had it fixed before lunch time. another one of the owners was there today and he was really professional about the whole thing. ive been to this place a few times before and this is the first time ive had a problem, but they handled it correctly. i will most likely go back next time i need exhaust work. thanks for all the "support" during my fiasco lol.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Ah those imfamous I6 EGR pipes, trying to free oone up on a 300 I6 I got over the weekend. They rust up and thats the end of them when trying to take em apart.

Hopefully no hot exhaust gases burned anything around there on you!

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold horror story