1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F2 project.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Marconus70
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1949 F2 project.

Hey guys
So I am new to this world and I am diving in head first. I just bought a 1949 F2 in great condition but I am wanting to transplant the body onto a new frame as the drum brakes are to hard to find and expensive. So I have a questio to all you GURUes out there.

How hard would it be to put the body and fit it for a new engine if I wanted to use a 86 ford F-250 4x4 running gear frame. the details on the frame and everything that it already has is

"frame, transmision, transfer case, power steering box, front end complete with manual hubs, and rear end. This is a twin I beam front end, and is 8 lug being a 3/4 ton. "

Please Help me out.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

There are people that have done this kind of swap on here so I will let them ring in but of the top of my head wheel base will need to be checked, Body mounts need to be custom made... It all depends on your abilities and the amount of money, time and support you have to do it... I would like to see every project be completed and enjoyed... not just started and left for someone else to finish... Have fun...

Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to FTE, I don't know the specifics but have read here in the past that the later fords were wider and would not work like what you want to do??? Someone hopefully will be along to explain it better...

Might be easier to swap out the axles and transplant the engine trans of your choice in the existing frame?

good luck with you project, and post some pictures too! everybody loves pictures... Maybe someone in your area has some drums just sitting out rusting away, most of those old axles get swapped out it seems and originals get scrapped, although there are some other uses for them.

Josh