1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Greetings! ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:11 PM
blackbettybam-a-lam
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings! ABS issue

I am new to this site and just wanted to say hey to everyone. I own a 1998 Ford Expedition 4X4 5.4l and a 2003 Ford F-350 7.3l

I have a question regarding the expy. First off, I have searched for this issue and have not found a definitive answer in other posts.

Truck Mods: Front leveling kit with 20" rims and 305/50R20 Cooper Zeon LTZ's. Full Exhaust and C.A.I.

Problem: This only occurrs while making a hard left turn at low speeds (Like pulling into a parking space) 1. The ABS Light illuminates. 2. The pedel pulsates like ABD function. 3. The brakes get real soft and truck stops long. In other words, It has hit a few curbs in parking lots.

If I make a right turn, no problem. Left turn, brake failure.

I have looked to see if anything is pinching or pulling and dont see anything. I have replaced both front rotors and pads due to normal wear.

Please Help with this issue. If I had hair Id be pulling out!!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may have a brake flex hose that is coming apart internally.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 PM
blackbettybam-a-lam
Freshman User
I guess thats possible. Have you had this issue before? If a hose has gone south, internally.......how would effect the ABS? That could explain the spongyness and lack of stopability on the left turns, but I dont think that would explaine the ABS light, pulsation while turning left, would it?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:01 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd pull the left front wheel speed sensor and clean any rust and crud off the magnet. (Heck, may as well do the right front too.)

Also, disconnect the sensor connectors and see that the pins are clean and free of green crud. (just take your time working the senors out of the hub, you don't want to break one off in the hub assembly.)

If you can locate a good Ford compatible scan tool, check to see if the PCM is throwing any "C" codes.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:08 PM
blackbettybam-a-lam
Freshman User
Sounds good. I have a scanner in the toolbox of the F350. I have scanned it before with no sucess. I guess I need to make a hard left and get the fault to occurr, then scan it. Presumably, If I have no codes and clean the sensors and problem persists, what would you reccomend next?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by blackbettybam-a-lam
I have a scanner in the toolbox of the F350.
It needs to be able to read Ford specific codes and Pending codes.

Presumably, If I have no codes and clean the sensors and problem persists, what would you reccomend next?
I'd reccomend that we wait and see if the problem does persist.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM
blackbettybam-a-lam
Freshman User
Gotch ya.....I was a tech for nissan for a few years, so I still have my snap on scanner and it will scan pending and set codes, run real time data and so on. I looked on Alldata and If one of those wheel sensors are bad I will have to replace the hub since the sensor is intergral. That sucks! Well its going to the tire shop tomorrow for its new tires and front end alignment so I guess I will look at the sensors this weekend.

Well Listen, I appreciate all the input.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
I still have my snap on scanner and it will scan pending and set codes, run real time data and so on.
Hard codes and pending codes are cool: but its got to have the capability to read Ford SPECIFIC codes, such as C1233.

I looked on Alldata and If one of those wheel sensors are bad I will have to replace the hub since the sensor is intergral.
I believe the tonal ring is intergral to the hub assembly, but the sensor should be held in by one bolt.

After you clean the magnet on the sensor, before connecting the sensor connector to the harness, check the resistance of the sensor between the two pins with your ohm meter. You should see between 300 and 500 ohms. Also check the resistance between each pin and ground: it should be "OL".

Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 PM
blackbettybam-a-lam
Freshman User
Ok, Great info. I will get on that this weekend. I really appreciate all the info.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:02 AM
alloro
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,434 Posts
If I make a right turn, no problem. Left turn, brake failure.
Same thing happened to me recently, except it happens when I make a hard right instead of a left. I suspected my front left hub is shot. I ordered one and it just arrived. I'll be installing it this weekend to see if the problem clears up.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 AM
blackbettybam-a-lam
Freshman User
That sucks! I hope your guess was correct. I have been leary about firing the parts gun at this problem, because I have wondered, since I am making a hard left, is it something in the left wheel beeing affected during the turn or could it be something in the right wheel??????? I would be interested to hear how things go. I am going to follow pdqford's advice and clean the sensors and get the multi-meter out and see whats going on, but I strongly suspect that hub replacment will be the answer. I just want to be sure I am addressing the correct side at almost $200.00. So please let me know how it turns out for you.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:10 PM
alloro
I just want to be sure I am addressing the correct side at almost $200.00. So please let me know how it turns out for you.
I got it for $63.00 including shipping ($48.00 & $15.00).
New Front Hub Assy 97-00 Expedition, Navigator 4WD | eBay

Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 PM
alloro
Just to update, I replaced the front left hub, the noise stopped and the ABS issue went away. Since my issue occurred when I turned right and your issue occurs when you turn left, I would suspect the right front hub is your problem.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM
blackbettybam-a-lam
Freshman User
WTF

OK, I have removed both speed sensors (front left and right) cleaned and inspected them. I them checked the OHM resistance and p/s showed .4ohm and d/s showed .5 Ohms. They are both almost a direct short. If that is the case why does it only effect me when I turn left and apply the brakes.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 PM
alloro
If that is the case why does it only effect me when I turn left and apply the brakes.
Because the problem isn't a sensor, it's a hub.

Quick Reply: Greetings! ABS issue