2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In desparate need of MPG on FX4...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 PM
redrush40
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In desparate need of MPG on FX4...

Hi guys and girls,
I have a quick question about Miles Per Gallon on my truck.

My truck is a 2005 FX4 F150 supercab, 5.4L, 2" leveling kit up front, and about one size rubber tire larger than stock/oem.

I purchased my 2005 FX4 brand new, it was sweet and I still love it to death.
I took it on a summer road trip (interstate, mainly flat not a lot of hills or load on the engine), kept it about 70-75 miles per hour, and was getting probably 17-19 MPG!!!!!

NOW, I have the about 70,000 miles on the odometer, and the gas milage is HORRIBLE!!!
Granted I live in PA, cold winter start-ups, and hills, mountains and turns to deal with.
But even with a light foot on the gas pedal, I calculated my MPG and I am currently getting average around 11-13MPG!!!?!?!?!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 PM
redrush40
Senior User
I was also reading on the forum here that changing the fuel filter would help tremendously on the MPG... is that a true fact?
(fuel filter was not changed at all during the life of the truck).

Also, just purchased an Edge Evolution pod kit from ebay... didn't install it yet though. (would this help the MPG over time)?

Other upgrades I was leaning towards would be:
- headers (for better flow).
- possible complete exaust system.
- aftermarket K&N air intake system.
- possibly looking into the recall on the fuel injectors??? (fuel injectors sticking in the open position)???
- any OVERDRIVE kits out there for the auto transmissions on these trucks???
- heck, I would even pop for a turbocharger kit, if it got me at least a couple more MPG!!!

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED FOLKS!
Thanks a ton,
Tony.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 PM
dgndngrngr84
Senior User
Hey Tony, I've noticed since I've put my 2 inch leveling kit my mileage dropped a bit just because it messes with the aerodynamics of the truck a bit with more air coming up under the bumper. The fuel filter does do wonders though. At 70,000 you would probably notice a difference if you were to replace it. Your one size larger tires is could be messing with the shift points of the transmission (which you'll be able to fix with the Edge). I've been running my Edge in Towing mode (level 2) which gives you a bit more power while still allowing you to run 87 octane. It also allows you to stay in the power band while accelerating by increasing the transmission line pressure. I did a test of running the Edge in Level 1 transmission only mode for months and level 2 over a months time and did get better mileage in level 2 with the same in-town driving.

In my opinion, I would definitely consider a free flowing exhaust. This with your Edge would get results. The stock cats are good and aren't a restriction. If however mine did get clogged I'd replace them with Magnaflows (actually cheaper than oem).

I'm sure you've read about the possibility of the top of the plugs breaking off on removal. I would have them changed out before 100,000 miles just to lessen the cost to you. Nothing to worry about though, Ford has done plenty of these already or if you plan to do it yourself just have the removal tool handy.

Troyer Performance makes some valve body kits for the transmissions in these trucks but with the Edge already increasing the line pressure I don't think it's a good idea to run both. Here's a link anyway: Troyer Performance

Check out this thread on the Edge: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ng-thread.html

Here's is the owner's manual for the Evolution if yours didn't come with one: http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_...manual-277.pdf In there it will tell you how to input your new tire size.

There's some videos on Youtube of STS Turbo kits for the 5.4 . You may not want to know the price though haha.

Hope any of this helps. I'm sure others will have some better ideas.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You should definitely replace that fuel filter. IIRC doesn't Ford recommend it every 30k miles?
As for the Edge, you'll likely see some minimal gains with the "canned tunes" (stock tunes pre-loaded from Edge). If you really wanted to wake your truck up, then check out Power Hungry Performance:
Power Hungry Performance - About Us
They can convert your Edge Evolution into a Gryphon with custom tunes. The custom tunes will really help you regain performance, and with that help it is possible to see some efficiency return. 1-2 mpg usually.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
hcbph
Senior User
Mileage

Sounds like you could have alot of different factors going on here. First you compare a roadtrip mileage vs more recent mileage, is it also highway? You went with larger tires, same tread or different? Have you kept up with maintenance on your vehicle?

I have winter treads for my truck, between that and winter gas, I lose a little mileage, the winter tires are on steel rims so more weight there too. Ford does recommend replacing the fuel filter around 30K miles, so if you haven't done that then it's time.

I'm wondering if when you did the leveling kit and tire size changes, did you lose mileage then or has it been gradual? If it happened at the time of the changes, then logically they affected your mileage. If not then I'd guess it's wear and maintence related.

One thing I did recently was have my mechanic replace the 2 piece plugs in my truck with the 1 piece Champions. No other changes at this time and have done 2 complete fillups - same brand and same station I normally use. I was getting around 15 mpg around town before with the Motorcraft plugs and the last two fills I got 17.3 mpg since changing out to the Champions. I've been keeping records for the last 20K miles (since I bought it), so it does not appear to be a fluke. Thing is, the truck only has 42K on it and 14-15 mpg around town has been normal for it, same driving etc and getting up past 17 mpg in town is good for me. One thing I have noticed (based on the dash tach) my rpm's at 60 mph are about 100 rpm's lower since switching to the Champions vs the Motorcraft plugs. This is in a 07 SCab, 5.4 long bed with 4.10's, that's almost as good as I get out of my 97 SCab 4.6 short bed with 3.55's. Worth considering.

Can't speak to the other changes recommended as I have not done any of them, my trucks are basically stock except for rims etc.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't bother to read all the other responses completely but basically if you want your MPG to go back up get the filter changed and keep it changed. Since this is the first time you have changed it I would consider cleaning out the throttle body and do an injector cleaning or get the recall if it applies to your truck. Then i would consider a tuner of some sort. This will help to change how the truck performs with the leveling kit and larger tires.

The exhaust system if you do a complete kit should give you some MPG's along with some power and torque. The K&N air filter is a toss up really. It saves money in the long run as long as you clean it and reoil it correctly. But does it increase your MPG I don't think and I run one in my truck but I do it because I don't have to replace it just wash, dry, oil, and reinstall. The CAI's are nice for a good sound but as far as adding MPG's forget it maybe under the best conditions have they seen this in testing but not in street trucks.

Anyway good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may not be doing quite as bad as you think. With the increase in tire size you are actually going a little farther on a tank of gas than your odometer says you are. My mpg just went from 14 to 15 to 16.something since the weather has warmed up here and I removed 240 pounds of weight over the rear axle. I'm not sure if they quit using the winter grade of gas yet or not, but that will also help.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 PM
redrush40
Senior User
Thank you everyone for your input... truely appriciate it!

Ok, I think I am going to focus on getting the fuel filter changed, Edge tunner installed, and spark plugs replaced (most likely with Motorcraft just to play it safe).

dgndngrngr84, thanks especially for that link on the Edge tunner info!!!

MCDavis, I will definetly check out your link as well thank u!

hcbph, yup all my MPG numbers were basically averaged (and are all correct).
I am getting around 12.5 MPG average (calculated from full tank of gas with combined highway and stop/go driving). (calculated it from about 10 full tanks of gas, on different trips).
PS. what part number were those Champion plugs? (I heard horror stories of using wrong plugs!)

Coskid, thanks would go with an exaust complete kit first, before I would do a K&N setup up front!

Oldguy4, what the heck is winter grade gas?? I live in PA, and it has been cold as heck up here for basically the past 6 months... and YES I do have cabin fever haha!

Everyone thanks again for your input, I really appricate the help (especially to confirm the fuel filter change!)
IF ANYONE ELSE WOULD LIKE TO CHIME IN, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DO SO!
Thanks alot!
Tony

Old 04-04-2011, 08:37 PM
redrush40
Senior User
Originally Posted by hcbph
I have winter treads for my truck, between that and winter gas, I lose a little mileage, the winter tires are on steel rims so more weight there too. Ford does recommend replacing the fuel filter around 30K miles, so if you haven't done that then it's time.
I'm wondering if when you did the leveling kit and tire size changes, did you lose mileage then or has it been gradual? If it happened at the time of the changes, then logically they affected your mileage. If not then I'd guess it's wear and maintence related.
One thing I did recently was have my mechanic replace the 2 piece plugs in my truck with the 1 piece Champions. No other changes at this time and have done 2 complete fillups - same brand and same station I normally use. I was getting around 15 mpg around town before with the Motorcraft plugs and the last two fills I got 17.3 mpg since changing out to the Champions. I've been keeping records for the last 20K miles (since I bought it), so it does not appear to be a fluke. Thing is, the truck only has 42K on it and 14-15 mpg around town has been normal for it, same driving etc and getting up past 17 mpg in town is good for me. One thing I have noticed (based on the dash tach) my rpm's at 60 mph are about 100 rpm's lower since switching to the Champions vs the Motorcraft plugs..

Yup, it was a gradual reduction in MPG.
The 2" leveling kit and one size larger tire really didn't even phase the truck.

And 17.3 MPG is fantastic if I could reach that goal in my truck, I would be more than happy!!!
ALSO, one other question what's the best spark plugs to use hands down??
Motorcraft, Champion, or some gimmic brand?

Thanks again!
Tony

Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 PM
79CAMOFORD
Postmaster
Mileage

Originally Posted by MCDavis
You should definitely replace that fuel filter. IIRC doesn't Ford recommend it every 30k miles?
As for the Edge, you'll likely see some minimal gains with the "canned tunes" (stock tunes pre-loaded from Edge). If you really wanted to wake your truck up, then check out Power Hungry Performance:
Power Hungry Performance - About Us
They can convert your Edge Evolution into a Gryphon with custom tunes. The custom tunes will really help you regain performance, and with that help it is possible to see some efficiency return. 1-2 mpg usually.
I just installed an Edge with the Gryphon guts along with the Air Raid CAI and going to run a couple more tanks but I have noticed a gain of 2-3 more mpg on my FX4 with 69000 miles

Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I'm lucky to squeeze hand-calc'd 13/17mpg city/freeway out of mine, and it's still bone stock.
I swapped out fuel filters and air filters on recommended intervals and don't see any diff. I always
use good gas--either Shell or Chevron--and I avoid no-name stuff.

I noticed a consistent 1mpg drop since changing my worn-out stock BFG's to a same size set of Michelin AT2's.

Make sure you keep your tire pressures topped off. All tires lose air over time. Add cold weather to that and you lose 1psi per 10F drop in ambient temp. That's an mpg killer. I run mine at a few lbs below max pressure listed on the sidewall.

Non-winter gas is supposedly starting May 1 here in San Jose. mpg's should go up by3%--maybe.

I'm at 64K and overdue to swap out the sparkplugs one of these days... I shiver thinking of doing it...

Not sure how your rpms dropped 100rpms with the Champions versus MC's when the tranny torque converter is locked. Maybe it has to do with your tire size???

Some of you might scoff at this, but I also drive around without my spare. That's 100lbs+ of dead weight that costs fuel to accelerate around. I've had a couple of nails in my tires over 5yrs, but it was never bad enough to need changing out my spare. Knocking on wood...

One more thing.. how are your smog test results? Even if they are passing, if the numbers have been creeping upwards, it's a sign of something going on...like a worn out O2 sensor. I just had to take mine in recently for its first smog check. It's still well below average levels, so I'm good...

Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 AM
wtourvil
Junior User
2 suggestions

Immediately change fuel filter and place a large egg under your gas pedal. This will probably increase your mileage by at least 4 mpg. i.e. gradual accelerations instead of fast accelerations.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 AM
redrush40
Senior User
It does get a little frustrating trying to drive light footed, especially driving a 04-08 F150 in stock mode...

I am thinking that the hills here in northeast Pennsylvania are totally killing my MPG's. That along with this past winter, I was using the truck for short trips to town, going from 5 degree dead cold start up, then driving 15 mins. into town probably doesn't help gas milage!
Anyways, spring is here... now all we need is the sun and warm weather!

Well MAIN POINT: I just installed the EDGE tunner and pod in my 2005 FX4 F150....
I was pleasantly surprised!
It puts the trans in a whole different mind set!
I didn't play around with the custom tuning yet, but I WILL!!!
Also, for the soft-pedal feel of the truck is GREATLY reduced!!!
(love it!)

Again, milage went up by around .5% I would say with the EDGE tunner alone.
So.... at least we are in the right direction...

Old 04-08-2011, 02:14 AM
redrush40
Senior User
Now, other things to mention on my quest for increased MPGs.

I found out that I am running about 25 psi in two tires!!!
DANG!
I should be up around at least 32psi correct???

Also, truck is going to the dealership monday:
Getting Motorcraft spark plugs, Motorcraft fuel filter, (and front pinion seal for good measure!)

Then going to calculate miles per gallon after all is said and done...
Stay tuned, results to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tony.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 AM
redrush40
Senior User
Originally Posted by 79CAMOFORD
I just installed an Edge with the Gryphon guts along with the Air Raid CAI and going to run a couple more tanks but I have noticed a gain of 2-3 more mpg on my FX4 with 69000 miles
Dear 79camoford,
a 2-3 MPG gain would be awesome!!!
please keep me informed on the results!!!
I would definetly consider doing that setup!
Tony.

Quick Reply: In desparate need of MPG on FX4...