1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdemilt
Keith - I was reading about your truck tonight when something clicked in my head, I remember seeing a old craigslist post for help moving a old truck for the Delray St Patty's parade. Sure enough I found your ad on craigslist again tonight. I hope you found the help you needed and were able to enter your rig into the parade.
Thanks for reminding me about the ad. I will have to pull it. Unfortunately it didn't work out. I didn't want to drive it the 50 miles each way and it would have cost me over $400 for the round trip to have it towed. I really want to do that parade. I will shoot for next year!

Old 03-25-2015, 12:06 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Nice shooting Keith!

I can't wait to hear that siren again...

Old 03-25-2015, 04:38 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Joe!!

Old 03-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Thanks Guys .... now only if I can get the other 97 people to agree on that price I"ll get it done

Hi Keith. Add me to the list of those ok with $40.

One of our regular truck drivers that comes in to the warehouse where I work is also a long-time Fire Chief of a small town Central IL fire department. As with a lot of my conversations the topic of old trucks came up and I told him the story of the Chicago Fire Patrol and your Grandfather's truck. Needless to say he was fascinated and learned something new as he'd never heard of the Chicago Fire Patrol. I even showed him a short YouTube video you'd posted. I hope you're able to get your book into print.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Rob! I'm going to see what I can do about getting the book printed. Maybe get a loan!

Old 03-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Got my new shaft back from the machine shop this morning. He did a good job. I was charged $150 including the new brass spacer. It metal and not stainless. I assembled her with all new bearings and put on a fresh coat of paint. I'll finally be able to make some noise again!! LOL

Here are some pics:

Brand new steel shaft.

It came out great hopefully no more noisy bearings!

He made me a new brass spacer too.

Ready to be put back on.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
OK, now we just need a video so we can hear that baby again!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Joe!! Can I cheat and show and old siren video??

This will have to do until later this week!!

Old 03-30-2015, 03:35 PM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Thanks for reminding me about the ad. I will have to pull it. Unfortunately it didn't work out. I didn't want to drive it the 50 miles each way and it would have cost me over $400 for the round trip to have it towed. I really want to do that parade. I will shoot for next year!
Its a great parade, My family went early, we had lunch, watched the parade and met up with friends afterwards. ill try to do my best to get with you before next years parade, hopefully you'll make it and we can meet up. Im only 50 miles or so from there. Id like to see the truck sometime when you have it out.

Rick

Old 03-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rdemilt
Its a great parade, My family went early, we had lunch, watched the parade and met up with friends afterwards. ill try to do my best to get with you before next years parade, hopefully you'll make it and we can meet up. Im only 50 miles or so from there. Id like to see the truck sometime when you have it out.

Rick
Sounds good Rick. Let me know when you are down in my area and I can give you a ride!

Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Another update: I got the siren back on and replaced the front shocks. I had to go to 5 different places before I was able to find a set. The last company brought the shock in the back, ground away some of the rust and actually found some numbers. No match though. They ended up having to open boxes and eyeball the correct one. I'm not sure how much difference they will make because the truck has the big leaf springs but they were on there originally. If you recall many pages back in my thread, I broke one of the shock mounts off when trying to remove the rusted bolt. When I had the muffler work done, the shop welded in a new stud. I am concerned about the same thing happening with the rear shocks so I will soak then real good before their removal. Just a few more thing to finish up!! My cities annual parade is a week from this Saturday so I'm trying to do a few last minute things. Its hard to believe 2 years ago Ron was driving us in the parade! How time fly's!

Still working on getting a Thompson. I joined a Thompson board and a gentlemen from a few hours north of me invited me to come up and shoot his Thompson in a competition. What fun! There were 4 props, on shown in the video, 2 were walking and shooting and the 3rd was on a platform with 3 shooting ports, the middle one being a suspension bridge where you had to balance yourself and shoot the target. It was the most fun I've had shooting and I've been shooting for over 30 years. Here are the pics and video's:

The old shock is not extended.

Do you think I will notice a difference in the ride??

Old 04-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Good shooting Kieth!

I had always thought those were very inaccurate guns. Guess it all depends on the shooter...

Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Joe! You are correct they are not real accurate for long distances since they shoot a pistol cartridge.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:18 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
All the details are coming along for you on the truck. Mine does not have shocks, just leaf all the way around.

The Thompson looked fun

Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Jim! I guess I'll see if there is a difference in the ride this weekend. I kinda think there may be a slight difference especially in the front where the leaf springs are not as heavy duty as the rears.

Quick Reply: Progress ... hanging sheetmetal!!