Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Like we needed another reason

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 AM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Country_boy_2007
just click on the ''Quote'' button in the lower right hand corner of what ever post your trying to quote.
Yep, kinda like this LOL
Took me a long time to figure that out...

And you can multi-quote several responses at the same time. Hit the "Multi-quote" button on all the posts you want to quote, then hit the regualr "Post reply" button. It's sweeeeet!

But I haven't figured out how to multi-quote a single post....
Like if a single post has 4 sentences, and I want to respond to each sentence indivudally....

Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
And yes, the Autolite 1109's need a longer glow time I think. It doesn't always fire right off with the stock controller on cycle #1. So I cycle them again and it always lights off on #2.
If I went to the manual control, i would just hold it a couple seconds longer and I'll bet it would fire off instantly on cycle #1.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:30 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Originally Posted by flainn
I've done a lot of research this week into glow plugs and finally came to the conclusion that the reason so many people with manual switches have such problems (glow plugs swelling, burning out, breaking off in the cylinder, etc) is due to Ford's use of 6-volt glow plugs to get a faster start.

So I looked for some 12-volt glow plugs. The AC Delco 60G's fit the 6.9 just fine, and they're meant for 12 volts. So I'll be putting them on on Saturday.

Say what you will about how good Motorcraft/Beru plugs are, but I just got my truck a few weeks ago with a new set of ZD1As or ZD9's (not sure yet since I haven't pulled them) and they're already burned out. I'm willing to put up with longer glow times in exchange for plugs that don't burn out or swell up.

I'll report back in a few weeks and either tell you guys "you were right" or "you should look at AC Delcos"...

you bought said truck with the previous owner saying they were new motorcraft beru's? Or you know they are berus because you have seen the beru stamp? Just curious. If they already burned out, i bet they all pull out fine and replace the controller, it obviously fried them.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by flainn
I've done a lot of research this week into glow plugs and finally came to the conclusion that the reason so many people with manual switches have such problems (glow plugs swelling, burning out, breaking off in the cylinder, etc) is due to Ford's use of 6-volt glow plugs to get a faster start.

So I looked for some 12-volt glow plugs. The AC Delco 60G's fit the 6.9 just fine, and they're meant for 12 volts. So I'll be putting them on on Saturday.

Say what you will about how good Motorcraft/Beru plugs are, but I just got my truck a few weeks ago with a new set of ZD1As or ZD9's (not sure yet since I haven't pulled them) and they're already burned out. I'm willing to put up with longer glow times in exchange for plugs that don't burn out or swell up.

I'll report back in a few weeks and either tell you guys "you were right" or "you should look at AC Delcos"...
your treading on dangerous territory in here lol im hearing some hostility toward our holy motorcraft glow plugs......

i'll tell you the same thing i told the other guy taking the word of the guy he bought the truck from..... PEOPLE SELLING THINGS LIE..... they want the most money out of what they are selling and will lie lie lie to get it. unless you personally know the guy and watched him put new plugs in it then assume he lied. once the plugs glow they aren't going to look brand new anymore and if they did all burn out within a week then there are only 3 real well maybe 4 options of what could have happened

1. the controller is shot (happened to me when i bought my truck)
2. you got a bad bunch of plugs (unlikely for all 8 to be bad from the store but hey strange things happen) which can happen with any brand
3. you have power supply issues to the relay controller, or coming out of the controller 2 the plugs (mice love wiring, or the old wiring could have insulation rubbed off and grounding out)
4. the guy lied to you and the plugs are just old and worn out. no matter what brand you get its not going to change the fact that glow plugs are a wear item.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BlueOvalBud
Yep, kinda like this LOL

And you can multi-quote several responses at the same time. Hit the "Multi-quote" button on all the posts you want to quote, then hit the regualr "Post reply" button. It's sweeeeet!

Like if a single post has 4 sentences, and I want to respond to each sentence indivudally....
Well hot dam look what i can do! Thanks guys!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 PM
frodfreak
Senior User
while people are learning how to do stuff on here how in the hell do u post pics cant figure that out

Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, kinda like this LOL
Is

this what

you mean?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by frodfreak
while people are learning how to do stuff on here how in the hell do u post pics cant figure that out
I upload them with photobucket (it's free). Then copy the link with the [IMG ][/ IMG] tags around it.

OR:

Click the 'Go Advanced' button under the quick reply box, and scroll down under the box you put your words in theres a link that say 'Manage Attatchments'.

Click it and you can upload pictures from your computer.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 PM
frodfreak
Senior User
i guess im just slow i dont c that mange attachments

Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
I can tfind it either, I always just load the pics into my album. I pull up the pic and copy the url(the one that says http on it) then go to insert image and paste the url into the window) i know its a bassakwards way of doing it but the easy way just doesn't suit me i guess.
My way works but its confusing

Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
Yep, kinda like this LOL

THERES A MULTI QUOTE BUTTON!?

Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Country_boy_2007
THERES A MULTI QUOTE BUTTON!?
I think i found it!

Originally Posted by Otahyoni
Is

this what

you mean?

It to the right of the quote button between that and the pencily thing
Oh andHe He ..... wait its my thread........but i started............dam

Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1994F2507.3L
your treading on dangerous territory in here lol im hearing some hostility toward our holy motorcraft glow plugs......
Hey, nothing against Motorcraft plugs at all. I just happen to be a scientist and I want to try something different. Like I said, if it turns out to be a mistake, I'll be the first one to admit it.

i'll tell you the same thing i told the other guy taking the word of the guy he bought the truck from..... PEOPLE SELLING THINGS LIE..... they want the most money out of what they are selling and will lie lie lie to get it.
That's reasonable to say, but the guy I bought the truck from was in a tight spot (needed to pay his taxes ASAP) and I was able to talk him down quite a bit on the truck. I still got one hell of a deal, especially considering the add-ons. I'm not going to stress over $80 worth of glow plugs and an hour or two of my own mechanicking time.

I think the most likely scenario is (since the guy I bought from doesn't seem all that mechanically inclined) that his mechanic lied to him. But regardless, that's in the past.

1. the controller is shot (happened to me when i bought my truck)
2. you got a bad bunch of plugs (unlikely for all 8 to be bad from the store but hey strange things happen) which can happen with any brand
3. you have power supply issues to the relay controller, or coming out of the controller 2 the plugs (mice love wiring, or the old wiring could have insulation rubbed off and grounding out)
4. the guy lied to you and the plugs are just old and worn out. no matter what brand you get its not going to change the fact that glow plugs are a wear item.
Well, I have completely bypassed the controller and will be using the manual switch from now on. I don't want to bother with trusting the existing controller or trying to remove it from the water jacket and replace it.

I'll let you guys know how my new plugs go.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 84-6.9L
I think i found it!

Nope, to split up a post like that you basically wrap the [quote ] [/quote ] tags around each section you want to quote, minus the spaces in the tags of course...

When you go to the advanced page theres a button that you can click after highlighting the section you want to quote...

Old 04-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 84-6.9L
I think i found it!

AH HA

[quote=84-6.9L;10170688]Well hot dam look what i can do! Thanks guys![/quote

Now look what i can do

Quick Reply: Like we needed another reason