Sponsored by: Moser

Dolphin Billet Dash Panel and Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolphin Billet Dash Panel and Gauges

I installed the Dolphin billet dash panel and gauges into my crew. I just whipped it up there so it is not mounted the way I plan to in the long run. I also did not use the dolphin fuel gauge since it is setup for Ch*vy ohms and didn't want to swap sending units yet.

Overall I think it looks nice and the dash panel is great. The gauges seem cheap but overall I have not had issue with them. Have put a couple thousand miles on the truck since then and no issues. At night the speedo backlight does not match the other gauges which is also a downer but as far as function no issues. I bought the electrical speedo kit and calibrating was super easy and didn't require speedo gear swap to account for the 37" HMMWV tires and wheels I am running.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM
jjski78
Tuned
Is it supposed to fit behind the bezel?? I know you said you just whipped it up there, but I'm wondering if the panel will tuck behind the OEM bezel. It looks like a nice piece, but fitment would be my issue if I couldn't fit it behind the bezel like it came from the factory that way.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jjski78
Is it supposed to fit behind the bezel?? I know you said you just whipped it up there, but I'm wondering if the panel will tuck behind the OEM bezel. It looks like a nice piece, but fitment would be my issue if I couldn't fit it behind the bezel like it came from the factory that way.
It did not come with instructions as to how to mount it, But I plan to mount behind the bezel, you will have to remove the two vertical separators of the stock bezel tho.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here is another view from Doc's ,who makes these panels. It does not appear that they fit in from behind the bezel. That was one of the questions I had.

73-79 FORDTRUCK

Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM
jjski78
Tuned
Yeah, it looks like it would be a tough fit. If I was going to do that I might as well pop a mold from an OEM bezel, fab a solid one up in fiberglass, paint to match, and mount my own gauges in there.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 PM
kentucky19
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jjski78
Yeah, it looks like it would be a tough fit. If I was going to do that I might as well pop a mold from an OEM bezel, fab a solid one up in fiberglass, paint to match, and mount my own gauges in there.
Sounds good , make me one also while your at it

Old 03-29-2011, 04:18 PM
jjski78
Tuned
Originally Posted by kentucky19
Sounds good , make me one also while your at it
LOL! I was telling my wife that if I sold my dent I would definitely lose money on it, but with my abilities I may be able to make some money selling polished grille surrounds and custom parts. Unfortunately my back is refusing to cooperate with me.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
I have been looking into doing this...not sure why but I really like the gauge look...I found this on Ebay (73-79 FORD TRUCK BILLET DASH INSERT | eBay) and have been trying to get some specific specs from the seller...he is answering majority of my questions, but Tgure, what all did you have to do to get the gauges hooked up? I am really considering doing this to mine, just trying to calculate what all I will need before pulling the trigger. According to them, this one is supposed to mount to the existing back panel, and just a little modification work is required...these guys sell the set up like you have with the gauges pre-installed, but they are asking $600ish for it...my wife would shoot me...but a little here, a little there,I can get by with. Plus I haven't decided what color I want the faces in the gauges to be...just curious what all went into it, and rough ball estimate...do you have pics of the install? You can email me if you prefer Caleb_jns(@)yahoo.com...thanks again!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CalebJns
I have been looking into doing this...not sure why but I really like the gauge look...I found this on Ebay (73-79 FORD TRUCK BILLET DASH INSERT | eBay) and have been trying to get some specific specs from the seller...he is answering majority of my questions, but Tgure, what all did you have to do to get the gauges hooked up? I am really considering doing this to mine, just trying to calculate what all I will need before pulling the trigger. According to them, this one is supposed to mount to the existing back panel, and just a little modification work is required...these guys sell the set up like you have with the gauges pre-installed, but they are asking $600ish for it...my wife would shoot me...but a little here, a little there,I can get by with. Plus I haven't decided what color I want the faces in the gauges to be...just curious what all went into it, and rough ball estimate...do you have pics of the install? You can email me if you prefer Caleb_jns(@)yahoo.com...thanks again!
I bought these from the same seller on ebay, as he supports the products he sells better than the manufacturer. I got the whole package from him and it was I believe about $375ish.

I did not take any install pics, but using a wiring diagram I just figured out what was what and wired it up. I was in a hurry to get operable gauges so I could drive the truck from AZ to SD so I did not take the time to make them quick disconnects which I would recommend. I actually used the Shark gauges as I couldn't bring myself to have little dolphins on them.

The kit included new sensors for the water temp, fuel, and oil pressure. It was real simple maybe took a couple hours max.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Awesome! I haven't decided if I want to go with the white background, black background, or digital readouts...what color lights are in your gauges? Another consideration...I really like the blue lighting, or even the orangish-redish colored lighting...thanks for the info, will help out tremendously...

Old 04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Awesome! I haven't decided if I want to go with the white background, black background, or digital readouts...what color lights are in your gauges? Another consideration...I really like the blue lighting, or even the orangish-redish colored lighting...thanks for the info, will help out tremendously...
I am just running the bulbs without color, one thing to note is the speedo gauge is a different brightness than the other gauges.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Would it be possible to get a pic of them at night? Again, just trying to cover all my points before I invest the $$$...thanks again for all the help....

Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Also, how did the install affect the remaining dash lights? And did you for the most part bypass the instrument wiring harness, or did you have to splice unto it?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Would it be possible to get a pic of them at night? Again, just trying to cover all my points before I invest the $$$...thanks again for all the help....
Sure I will try and remember to grab a pic after it gets dark.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Also, how did the install affect the remaining dash lights? And did you for the most part bypass the instrument wiring harness, or did you have to splice unto it?
I unplugged the instrument cluster and clipped off the plug on the harness side to connect too. As far as lights for heater controls etc it had no effect on them.

Quick Reply: Dolphin Billet Dash Panel and Gauges