Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP 5.8 will not start after swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM
hilda
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP 5.8 will not start after swap

Just finished the 302 to 351 swap, only one problem 351 will not start. I have fuel at the test point, and spark at the plugs, but not a single pop. I am a newby to the fuel injections era, so I'm still learning the system. I few questions, How can I tell if the injectors are firing, and two what times the fuel injection to the engine? Both engines 95 roller motors only difference is the 351 is now a MAF, which was already in the new truck, but the truck has not run in 8 years. The 5.8 ran great in the old truck.

Thanks in advance
Jim

Old 03-27-2011, 06:33 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
spray some starter fluid or gas(if you don't like the starter fluid idea) into the intake,try to start it that way,if that works you know the problem is fuel related. did you check actual pressure at the valve or just press it down with a screw driver?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM
hilda
New User
Originally Posted by cjben
spray some starter fluid or gas(if you don't like the starter fluid idea) into the intake,try to start it that way,if that works you know the problem is fuel related. did you check actual pressure at the valve or just press it down with a screw driver?

cjben

I did the screwdriver test. Why didn't I think of the starter fluid, I give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 AM
94bonestocker
Junior User
Did you remove the Dizzy while doing the swap? Is it possible the timing is off or that its firing 180 deg out i.e. the exhaust stroke?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
hilda
New User
It started with the starting fluid.so I have a fuel issue.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
Originally Posted by hilda
Both engines 95 roller motors only difference is the 351 is now a MAF, which was already in the new truck, but the truck has not run in 8 years.
So just to be clear the truck you put the engine in is MAF and you didn't change any wiring or the EEC you just put the 5.8 in right?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM
hilda
New User
yes.

Originally Posted by Conanski
So just to be clear the truck you put the engine in is MAF and you didn't change any wiring or the EEC you just put the 5.8 in right?
Yes, MAF truck MAF harness on new 5.8 original computer and trans.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
OK good.. but it sounds like the truck wasn't running before the engine swap so you probably have a pre-existing issue to sort out. I say try to pull the codes, you should get the all clear 111 if there are no sensor issues, though you should get codes for the IAT and ECT since you can't bring the engine to operating temp and if you do just ignore these, but any other sensor codes could indicate a wiring or sensor problem you will have to track down.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
hilda
New User
OK good.. but it sounds like the truck wasn't running before the engine swap so you probably have a pre-existing issue to sort out. I say try to pull the codes, you should get the all clear 111 if there are no sensor issues, though you should get codes for the IAT and ECT since you can't bring the engine to operating temp and if you do just ignore these, but any other sensor codes could indicate a wiring or sensor problem you will have to track down.

Truck had two broken rods in the 5.0 from eight years ago.
So it should run, I,m hoping there are not any chewed wires I have not seen. I am without a code reader.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
You don't need a reader to pull the codes, just put a jumper between the Sti and Sig_Rtn lines on the EEC test connector, turn the key to run and count the flashes on the check engine light.

More info here... Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 PM
hilda
New User
You don't need a reader to pull the codes, just put a jumper between the Sti and Sig_Rtn lines on the EEC test connector, turn the key to run and count the flashes on the check engine light.

More info here... Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test
I'll run the codes tomorrow and see what I get. Thanks for your help

Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 PM
hilda
New User
After hooking back up the battery, I got ready to read the codes. When I noticed the dash lights were real dim, so I decided to put jumpers to the other grounds on the light harness. (front end is still off the truck) I sit there in the drivers seat for about a half hour read the codes over and over, thats when i said what the f*** and turn the key all the way to the start position, that 5.8 came to life and roared. I'm an RV service manager and I'm always telling the guys you can never have enough grounds on a 12 volt DC system. Maybe I should take my own advice.

Thanks guys for you help

Hilda