1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F1 hood brace/air deflector question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
F1 hood brace/air deflector question

2 simple questions (I hope):

1) Even though the hoods are cosmetically different. Is the hood brace/radiator air deflector the same for the 48-50s and the 51-52's?

2) What exactly is the difference between the one that is in an original 8 cylinder vs. 6 cylinder truck? Was it indeed a different shape or is it just a matter of where it's mounted on the hood to match up with the radiator?

Thanks in advance

Shane

Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Yes, they are the same 48-52. They are a different shape in that the 6 cylinder unit is narrower than the 8, since it sits farther forward in the hood. You can see exactly where it goes, as there's two matching sets of holes on the bottom lip of the hood for the attaching screws. The area where it seals against the radiator is essentially the same.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
The hoods are physically the same size, I have a '50 hood on my '52. As for the deflectors, the V8 one is slightly wider than the 6...since it mounts farther back on the hood. I have a couple extra of each if you need one.

dangit, Wayne beat me to it!!!!!

Last edited by tinman52; 03-20-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: I'm slow
Old 03-21-2011, 05:01 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
My strong advice is to buy the truck with the best sheet metal that you can find. The lowest first cost will result in the highest final cost. You live in the rust belt, think long and hard about buying a truck that spent it's life in your area. I live in Maine, my 49 came from Ca. The only cars/trucks that I own that came from Maine are my daily drivers. I have been know to go to South Carolina to buy a daily.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 49willard
My strong advice is to buy the truck with the best sheet metal that you can find. The lowest first cost will result in the highest final cost. You live in the rust belt, think long and hard about buying a truck that spent it's life in your area. I live in Maine, my 49 came from Ca. The only cars/trucks that I own that came from Maine are my daily drivers. I have been know to go to South Carolina to by a daily.
That is really good advice and I appreciate it, but I'm not in the market for another truck. I already have 2 of these things. I'm working on my 50 and that brace is missing from the hood. I've been looking at them on ebay, and I want to get the right one. The flathead 8 is long gone, but I figure I better get the one for the 8 cylinders anyway so that the bolt holes, etc. line up. That's all. BTW, my 50 is from south carolina.

Thanks Wayne and tinman. I thought there was a difference, but just wasn't sure.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
maybe this guy has a hood?????maybe.
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
48 ford f-1 truck parts - $150 (Hillsville, Virginia)
Date: 2011-03-01, 10:31AM EST
Reply to: sale-wts5x-2240793078@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have parts that fit a 1948 f-1 truck. I have a grill with chrome and letters in great shape. I have fenders that are not in so good shape but can be fixed. You can get pics or contact me at 1-276-733-5522. I am asking 150.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2240793078

Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
That is really good advice and I appreciate it, but I'm not in the market for another truck. I already have 2 of these things. I'm working on my 50 and that brace is missing from the hood. I've been looking at them on ebay, and I want to get the right one. The flathead 8 is long gone, but I figure I better get the one for the 8 cylinders anyway so that the bolt holes, etc. line up. That's all. BTW, my 50 is from south carolina.

Thanks Wayne and tinman. I thought there was a difference, but just wasn't sure.
Depending on what engine you are using you may want the one for the 6 cyl. I moved my radiator to the 6 cyl mounting position in both my trucks to accomodate more room for a fan and in both cases I used the 6 cyl air deflector even though both trucks originally came with V8's.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Depending on what engine you are using you may want the one for the 6 cyl. I moved my radiator to the 6 cyl mounting position in both my trucks to accomodate more room for a fan and in both cases I used the 6 cyl air deflector even though both trucks originally came with V8's.
Good point. The more I think about it, I need to get my butt in gear and find a new hood actually. Not only did they take out the deflector, but the idiots who had my truck years ago also took out the "L" bracket to which it mounts. I figured I'd have to fab that part. I had the hood sandblasted last week and primered it when I got home. On top of that, somebody shot it with a shotgun from a distance once upon a time. It has about 15 or 20 little pellet dents on the front in a perfect little shotgun pattern. The inside strap-like brace on the back of the hood near where the springs mount is also cobbed up. The brace had rusted in 2 long ago on the sides of the hood, so they brazed in 2 bolts on each side to fill and stabilize the gap. I'm just trying to cover my bases in case I have to use this hood. I'll have to fix that back brace as well.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Good point, Vern. I was just going to add for clarification that the deflector needs to match the position of the radiator, not necessarily the engine. It sounds like Shane is already aware of that.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Mercury Bluz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
Good point. The more I think about it, I need to get my butt in gear and find a new hood actually. Not only did they take out the deflector, but the idiots who had my truck years ago also took out the "L" bracket to which it mounts. I figured I'd have to fab that part. I had the hood sandblasted last week and primered it when I got home. On top of that, somebody shot it with a shotgun from a distance once upon a time. It has about 15 or 20 little pellet dents on the front in a perfect little shotgun pattern. The inside strap-like brace on the back of the hood near where the springs mount is also cobbed up. The brace had rusted in 2 long ago on the sides of the hood, so they brazed in 2 bolts on each side to fill and stabilize the gap. I'm just trying to cover my bases in case I have to use this hood. I'll have to fix that back brace as well.
I have a spare '51 hood (with 8 cyl deflector) available. I'm a little out of your neighbourhood, but if you ever feel like a vacation in Canada, let me know.

PS the fishing is real good on my lake!!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury Bluz
the fishing is real good on my lake!!
You have your own lake? COOL! I always wanted a lake of my own!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Mercury Bluz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
You have your own lake? COOL! I always wanted a lake of my own!
Some of the other people that live on it may disagree, but that's the way I like to think of it!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Mercury Bluz
Some of the other people that live on it may disagree, but that's the way I like to think of it!
LOLOL You'd fit right in here in my neighborhood. I'll take you up on that offer if I ever make it up to Canada. Heck I can't even find time to get to the swap meet on the other side of my state right now.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Bumping this back up....had a member ask for a photo of the difference between the 8 cyl and 6 cyl deflector. BTW, I checked and I do not have any extras...at least I can't find them

8 cyl on top, 6 cyl on bottom (upside down)

Old 03-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Okay, that helps a lot. Appreciate the photo with both. Other than the difference in width, I noticed the 8 cylinder one has 2 half circle indentions on the bottom and the 6 cylinder one is completely flat on the bottom. I'll remember that difference for future reference.

Quick Reply: F1 hood brace/air deflector question