1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

hydraulic clutch, firewall flex repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:01 PM
ObuckiO
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
0bucki0,
Yeah, you shouldn't be able to see the bottom of the flywheel.
There are two small bolts that hold the lower lip to the bellhousing.
The dust plate hangs on the block dowels before the flywheel goes on, and is sandwiched by the bell when everything is tight.
Perhaps MOST important is that it locates the starter.
If your starter fails this is the likely cause.
This is what I think it looked like:https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...defined&iact=c

Old 08-03-2014, 01:06 PM
ObuckiO
Freshman User
0bucki0,
Yeah, you shouldn't be able to see the bottom of the flywheel.
There are two small bolts that hold the lower lip to the bellhousing.
The dust plate hangs on the block dowels before the flywheel goes on, and is sandwiched by the bell when everything is tight.
Perhaps MOST important is that it locates the starter.
If your starter fails this is the likely cause.
Also, This probably explains the gap I see, right?
I'm getting more nervous about this situation more and more. I wonder if I can find it, how to put it on, etc. It's a nightmare of a hassle. Not to mention, I have to use this tomorrow and so forth for work.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:11 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It could explain the gap.
I'm not certain if the starter snout would bottom in the bell before drawing up tight.
I've never tried it without the plate, because it goes on first

Old 08-03-2014, 01:20 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Ah, looking at that pic reminds me that you have a diesel (and evidently the plate is not like my 460)
Sorry I misspoke.

Dave and RogueWulff are better versed in those than I am.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 PM
ObuckiO
Freshman User
Ah, looking at that pic reminds me that you have a diesel (and evidently the plate is not like my 460)
Sorry I misspoke.

Dave and RogueWulff are better versed in those than I am.
I hesitated, but took it back to the shop that done this mess.

After having a friend look at it, he couldn't believe they "two bolted" it up the way they did. He thinks they either broke one or two bolts in the transmission and/or couldn't get them started due to the 1/2 inch gap in the right side of transmission.
We are still unsure about the dust pan acting as a starter shim, and the mechanic says it is not. He said, he never even took off the starter, but who knows?

I believe it is so kinked that it's messing with the whole process of any of it working properly.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:32 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

No, in a diesel the starter bolts to the block not the transmission.

As I said above, I was mistaken.
This thread has been resurrected 4 or 5 times.
It seems everyone likes to hijack it instead of starting a thread specific to their issue.

(I'm just old and confused)

Old 08-04-2014, 05:04 AM
ObuckiO
Freshman User
No, in a diesel the starter bolts to the block not the transmission.

As I said above, I was mistaken.
This thread has been resurrected 4 or 5 times.
It seems everyone likes to hijack it instead of starting a thread specific to their issue.

(I'm just old and confused)
By far, When I said "Who knows", It was not intended to insult anyone on the forum. I meant it as, Who knows what they done.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:42 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I hope you don't feel that was directed at you.
I should have gone back and read all your posts before I went spouting off misinformation that is not pertinent to your truck.

I am not trying to malign you for jumping in on this thread.
If I had focused on your mention that you have a 7.3 perhaps I would have asked if your DMF was coming apart like in the thread you linked to.
I certainly wouldn't have said that the dust plate goes on behind the flywheel, like a gas truck.

I hope you can get it worked out with them.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If they pulled the trans up against the engine with bolts, rather than getting everything lined up correctly, so it could just about fall into place, there's no telling what they may have damaged.

Originally Posted by Franklin2
Doesn't look very easy to make.

With a plasma cutter, sheet metal brake, and a good drill, it wouldn't be hard to make with a good pattern to go off of.
If I don't hear back from them soon, I might run up to Gary's and trace around the one he has laying in wait for his dad's truck. Then get some 1/8" plate......

Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

It would be a lot easier to flatten it and scan it into Gcode or a DXF file.
You could then use plasma, laser or waterjet to cut them.
The file could be shared in an online repository.

I think someone like Reamer would be the 'go to' guy for figuring it out.
He seems to have a lot of background in punch, die and stamping.
Manufacturing is all but lost in our home state of CT.
The knowledge and experience is going with it.

Terrapin has done all the legwork and is providing a service to all of us.
It is not their main business, just something to share with Ford pickup owners who have the need.
I don't see a reason to try and undercut them.
IMO, the product is very reasonably priced given the nutplates, bolts, deburring and finish applied.

It's just my opinion, but I'd be thanking Jason instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
I hope he replies to you soon.
I know he subscribed to this thread in March of 2012.

I look back on the whole RJM/FFI saga and think of what a great resource we have lost.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I have no plans to try and produce these. I'd rather buy one already made, but the response time (or lack of response to be accurate) is killing me.
I can make one. Doesn't mean I want to spend the better part of a day doing so. I'd have about the same invested in making my own, time you factor in the labor, as I would just buying one.
I would have liked to have one in my hands already, since it will be much easier to install with the engine bay empty. I still haven't taken the time to move the seat and carpet, so I can cut out the floor. I want to do that at the same time I am swapping pedals and steering column. All of these tasks will be easier without that massive hunk of Cummins/NV4500 in the way, but the floor has to be cut before I can even attempt to set them in place to mock up the mounts.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I didn't mean to suggest you would get into manufacturing.
And, I can certainly understand your need for a timely response given the scope of your project.

For a one off like you are considering my MO is to lay it on a sheet of stiff paper and use a dusting of spray paint to leave a negative.
You could wrap the paper up the sides and shorten the pattern by the radius of the bends. (steel stretches more than compresses)

Then I just use spray adhesive to stick it directly to the stock.
Center punch the holes and scribe the odd openings.
It is a lot easier than trying to trace without movement or layout all the X-Y.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I could build my own even without tracing off of one. The only minor issue with that, my firewall isn't even marked where the slave would go, like many of the 82+ cabs were. I dunno why, but the firewall was stamped with the knockouts in place, more than a year before the first hydro clutch setup hit the dealer lots.
Since mine predates the stamped knockouts, I'd be hard pressed to get the slave located *exactly* where it should be, just trying to eyeball it......

As for movement while tracing it, that's what clamps are for. Clamp it to the work bench, with heavy poster board between, and trace away.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:58 PM
ObuckiO
Freshman User
I hope you don't feel that was directed at you.
I should have gone back and read all your posts before I went spouting off misinformation that is not pertinent to your truck.

I am not trying to malign you for jumping in on this thread.
If I had focused on your mention that you have a 7.3 perhaps I would have asked if your DMF was coming apart like in the thread you linked to.
I certainly wouldn't have said that the dust plate goes on behind the flywheel, like a gas truck.

I hope you can get it worked out with them.
No sore feelings from me. You guys have been a big help with my problems.
I hate to mention it, but these "mechanics" screwed my truck up, to where i'm afraid to take it out to work.

After taking it back last night, Nothing seems to shift, run or sound any better. However, It looks like they threw a dust plate in between the starter(like we were talking about), put the missing bolt in and hard to say what else.
I didn't expect them to find a dust cover before they said they'd have it done, so I thought I could tell if they sucked up the gap in a proper manner. Hah, I bet they used it as a decoy to make it "LOOK" proper.

Rogue W. might be correct on their procedure. I think they have low experienced, overworked "mechanics" with no inspections being taken, (just the vibe I get from them). I feel I have to hire my original mechanic(friend) to tear it all back apart. Plus, I still don't know how to explain a loan they already got paid for, for doing this job. I'm confused on how that goes with shoddy work.(?)

Old 12-09-2014, 12:56 PM
TerrapinMFG
New User
guys the best way to reach me is via email.

jason@terrapinmfg.com

i check this contently if i don't get back to you in a day or so i may be traveling. I have taken a new day job that has me traveling quite a bit. and for some reason im not getting the updates from forum posts on here.