6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 PM
blue oval fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
No offense, but just because someone says it's normal doesn't mean we have to believe it. I'm not buying that a few hundred RPM jump is normal. I've been driving trucks for over 30 years and have never had one do this. The flip side of this is...if someone can explain to me why this is normal and why some do it and some don't and how it's related to environment/climate then I'm ready to listen.
he went into a long explination on the whole climate thing affecting the 2nd to 3rd shift, and sense im not having those issues (yet) anyways i wasnt paying that much attention to that subject as i was to the issue i am actually having. i dont plan on just getting one dealers diagnostic, i just went to where i bought the truck for starters, i have a closer dealer to home that i will be going to next. the rpm jump i do remember having in my 03 f250, it did it since i bought it and the tranny never broke or had any other issue then the rpm change. he said these new trucks computer systems recognize after a period of time the way it is drivin and it adjusts to the driver. this is all new to me and maybe he is bs'in me i dk, but if this is true then maybe this is why some people are having issues and some arent

Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
so is there a TSB aka flash out for our trucks or not?? I haven't heard of anyone actually getting it and noone seems to have had a dealer pull up their truck and be able to find anything WTF!!!!

yesterday my truck while either in first or second gear seemed to have popped out of gear for a split second or maybe it was just an excessive hard shift. I am getting worried there are bigger problems. no way does this trans shift the same as when I bought the truck.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
so is there a TSB aka flash out for our trucks or not?? I haven't heard of anyone actually getting it and noone seems to have had a dealer pull up their truck and be able to find anything WTF!!!!

yesterday my truck while either in first or second gear seemed to have popped out of gear for a split second or maybe it was just an excessive hard shift. I am getting worried there are bigger problems. no way does this trans shift the same as when I bought the truck.
see https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10109939

looks like they HAD one, but discovered last minute issues and pulled it back. so, should be soon to re-issue..

sam

Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blue oval fan
he went into a long explination on the whole climate thing affecting the 2nd to 3rd shift, and sense im not having those issues (yet) anyways i wasnt paying that much attention to that subject as i was to the issue i am actually having. i dont plan on just getting one dealers diagnostic, i just went to where i bought the truck for starters, i have a closer dealer to home that i will be going to next. the rpm jump i do remember having in my 03 f250, it did it since i bought it and the tranny never broke or had any other issue then the rpm change. he said these new trucks computer systems recognize after a period of time the way it is drivin and it adjusts to the driver. this is all new to me and maybe he is bs'in me i dk, but if this is true then maybe this is why some people are having issues and some arent
I have a very good service manager at the dealer I have service my truck. I called him on Monday afternoon just to see if my truck, which does not have transmission, obnoxious throttle tip in or the DEF issues, would be eligible for any of the TSB updates. I gave him the TSB number and it was not in the system. This was before I read it has been pulled back.

He then ran my VIN and it was up to date for TSB actions at this time. I emailed him the text posted here from the TSB. He was looking into it...must still be looking.

My servicing dealer is somewhat rare. They are a Lincoln dealer but have 3 talented diesel techs. They do more diesel work than the local Ford dealer. The only downside is that they do not have the 6.7 sales to drive the immediate need for 6.7 information. But...they make it all up with prompt and competent service when they work on my trucks.

As to your main question, it looks like the answer is no TSB at this time.

Regards

Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've made an inquiry into the status of the shift concern(s). I'll post what I can when I receive some decent information on root cause, etc.

Best Regards,

-Paul

Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Thanks Paul....

Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 PM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been able to confirm that a calibration update is in the works. However, those of you experiencing the issue are going to need to be a bit more patient for a few more weeks. It's looking like mid-April before the durabililty testing and the emissions certifications that are a must before release are completed.

-Paul

Old 03-23-2011, 01:20 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Thanks Paul..

I want to say again how nice it is to have someone with access to the facts, and able to share with us.

Sam

Old 03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
So I read a post somewhere that disconnecting the battery for a period of time will reset the transmission learning process. If this is true, and most of us didn't have these issues for the first few months of driving, I wonder if it's worth a shot now?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:12 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I've been thinking the same thing... it's worth a try for sure

Old 03-23-2011, 03:57 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanx Paul,

Been hopin you'd show up on this topic. Wonder why this tranny is so problematic? Being away from FOMOCO for quite a few years, except for my 1990 Festiva, I haven't driven a Ford for a long time. Did the predecessors to the six speed behave this way? My last three p/u's have all been GM. Sorry! I'm back now tho.

I want to add, I bought an F-250 in 1978 and loved that truck so much I drove it for 21 years.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:18 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
what if the issues are not fixed by a flash??? I think most of us especially me didn't have any issues with the transmission when the truck was new, what if its a mechanical issue?? I have my doubts a flash is going to fix the problem. I loved the way the truck drove when brand new now not as much.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by marchare011
Thanx Paul,

Been hopin you'd show up on this topic. Wonder why this tranny is so problematic? ...
what if the issues are not fixed by a flash??? I think most of us especially me didn't have any issues with the transmission when the truck was new, what if its a mechanical issue?? I have my doubts a flash is going to fix the problem. I loved the way the truck drove when brand new now not as much.
I personally believe Ford is working hard to make sure they identify and solve these problems. All new Engine, all new tranny, all new emissions system, and a few million lines of control code..

and we've heard the discussion of manufacturing variability and tolerance.
just a few different things to take into consideration.

I personally don't think there IS a problem that CAN'T be solved. finding the right people to work on them may be a different issue.

what did you like about the truck as delivered compared to the current state?

Part of this problem will also be pleasing different customer sets.

Sam

Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
what did I love about the truck when I bought it?? the transmission was part of what I loved. I described it as seemless, it also seemed to be in the right gear, shifts were smooth almost as if the transmission operated in the background, which is a big compliment. now it seems to drop to, too low a gear when rolling around a turn, sometimes the shifts are harsh. the transmission seems to have popped out of gear on at least 2 occasions possibly 3.

along with this has came very incosistent throttle response. its either on or off all the way. I have actually unintentionally spun the tires with a trailer on the back.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM
BigBri BigBri
Junior User
what did I love about the truck when I bought it?? the transmission was part of what I loved. I described it as seemless, it also seemed to be in the right gear, shifts were smooth almost as if the transmission operated in the background, which is a big compliment. now it seems to drop to, too low a gear when rolling around a turn, sometimes the shifts are harsh. the transmission seems to have popped out of gear on at least 2 occasions possibly 3.

along with this has came very incosistent throttle response. its either on or off all the way. I have actually unintentionally spun the tires with a trailer on the back.
i just started having these same issues, today while at lunch my truck jumped out of gear (engine revved up like it was in N ) i let off the throttle and gave it gas again and again it just revved then a big clunk and i was in 4th gear. I don't know how a flash will help this.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues