6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's happened to me too, both before and after the 400 flash.

I don't think it has ever happened with a trailer in tow, which means 2 things.

1. Does the tow/haul bypass it?
2. Does the extra load on the driveline force it to shift better?

I dunno, but it would be nice to eliminate this issue.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 AM
vtboy51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been posting about this same problem since I bought the truck last summer, I'm glad to see I'm not alone. After reading that this many people are having the exact same problem I'm even more upset with Ford for telling me , "there's nothing wrong with the truck" over and over again. Anyone on this site know a good lawyer, we could put together a complaint and send it off to Ford, one of us is bound to have a wreck because of this problem and I'd like to prevent that.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
mr clutch
Senior User
after several calls with ford, i was telling them the same thing about an accident. as i told them, i am not looking for anything from them other than to fix my truck. i am even willing to work with them to figure out the problem but they insist it is not a problem. at that point i told them that if there is ever an accident because of this issue, everyone involved will know about the issue. hopefully it does not end up killing anyone.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Tom,
Sent you a couple of e-mails

the 2nd has 2 cases of the missed shift/slip.. and it is duplicated in slow motion... maybe this will help...

Sorry the movie is about 7 megs...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
clutch, see if you can upload the video to you tube, that is probably the easiest way to view and send the video. I wanna see what ford says after reading about all of us having the SAME problem. we all can't be lying. wasn't chris webber on here a while back??

Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
mr clutch
Senior User
Byram
i still have not recieved it. it may be a little to large. can you put it in a zip file and email it. call me if you need to. thanks

info@carolinaclutch.com
888-462-2739

Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
vtboy51
Freshman User
<table id="post2037536" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_2037536" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(255, 255, 255);">Just found this post on the dieselstop forum, not sure if others have seen it, but it proves that this shifting problem is causing damage to the truck everytime it happens.

"I have a 2011 and I have issues. Mostly minor up until now. My tranny was pulled last Friday and I'm waiting on an input shaft and some other parts. I was towing about 18K and experienced a high rev (like neutral) when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. When it slammed into 3rd the transmission let go and wouldn't go into any gear. All I could do was coast to the shoulder. This one's getting traded the minute it comes out the shop. It's been nothing but lost revenue. "
<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
08 F250 6.4l CC SB (87K Miles), 2011 F350 ordered.
02 GMC 6.6l CC SB (376K Miles), Traded for 2011 LML
<!-- / sig --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(255, 255, 255); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;"> </td> <td class="alt1" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(255, 255, 255) rgb(255, 255, 255) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" align="right"> <!-- controls -->
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Here's the video Byram shot. Watch the tach closely.

YouTube - 250shift

Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Thanks Biggziff!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had 2 instances of this occur, one of which I outlined here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9993172

There's quite a few of us in the 6.2 forum that have had it though: Myself, Byram, RaceTec, real_texan, Scrming...

The list goes on....

Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I can usually reproduce the issue as well, and have been thinking of taking a video. Now I don't need to . Well, I assume I don't... Like so many people, I can't view youtube or photobucket at work. I'll have to see it when I get home.

The quoted post from dieselstop is a perfect example of overreaction... the guy says it "slammed" into gear. I guess he just left his foot on the throttle and let it rev up. Doesn't sound like a very good driver to me. I'm betting that he did get a weak transmission... but made the situation worse with his driving habits. Either way, a failed part is a failed part... once replaced, there is zero reason to trade in the truck. His pocketbook will pay for his ignorance

Back to the issue - I have only experienced this when the truck is cold. Once up to operating temps, it shifts smoothly and never has a problem finding gear. I've adjusted by taking it easy until it's warm. Has anyone had the neutral or another shifting issue when at normal operating temperatures?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
I would encourage everyone that has this issue to video it as Byram has. We can start a page on youtube and put ALL the videos there. As others see it, they'll want to add their videos as well. Eventually, Ford will have to do something about it. I'd be happy to run point on that.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Mine happens only when it's been sitting for a while also...

My typical day it can sit for maybe 1 hr -- start & roll out of parking lot for a main road - hit the gas & it happens..

On the other hand - when I roll out of driveway in the morning - take neighborhood streets then hit the main road - it doesn't happen - I guess it has time to warm up or something...

Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
vtboy51
Freshman User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
I can usually reproduce the issue as well, and have been thinking of taking a video. Now I don't need to . Well, I assume I don't... Like so many people, I can't view youtube or photobucket at work. I'll have to see it when I get home.

The quoted post from dieselstop is a perfect example of overreaction... the guy says it "slammed" into gear. I guess he just left his foot on the throttle and let it rev up. Doesn't sound like a very good driver to me. I'm betting that he did get a weak transmission... but made the situation worse with his driving habits. Either way, a failed part is a failed part... once replaced, there is zero reason to trade in the truck. His pocketbook will pay for his ignorance

Back to the issue - I have only experienced this when the truck is cold. Once up to operating temps, it shifts smoothly and never has a problem finding gear. I've adjusted by taking it easy until it's warm. Has anyone had the neutral or another shifting issue when at normal operating temperatures?
I completely disagree, for 50k I should be able to put anyone behind the wheel, good or bad driver, and not rely on them to compensate for Fords faulty design. I'm going to guess if any of us put our wives in the drivers seat and they pulled into an intersection, truck just revs, they probably are going to press harder on the gas, not think, oh I guess I should let off the throttle then try again....
I'm seeing the issues at both cold and hot trans temp, nothing real consistent.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
It's not a faulty design, it was a faulty transmission. and I wasn't talking about your issues or your wife's, I was talking about why the transmission in the quote failed as bad as it did. You missed the point of my post entirely.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues