6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:18 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.7Fan
I was one that tried the disconnect but didn't see much if any change. I'm just patiently waiting for the flash and hoping we'll be able to start a new thread praising the results.

Amen brother.... I would also like to see a 1st gear lockout when not towing. Guess there could be a problem if you wanted to get out of traffic quick and its stuck in 2nd. Although, the 1-2 shift slipping for 2 seconds is not much better while pulling out either.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Xyzzy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lexustbs
Guess there could be a problem if you wanted to get out of traffic quick and its stuck in 2nd.
When I get stuck in heavy stop-and-go traffic, I put the truck into M3. Otherwise, the shifting up and down is really annoying. When I need to zoom ahead to block the guy who is trying to bypass everybody on the shoulder and pull in front of me, I have plenty of get-up-and-go to do the job.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
In TX, we're trying to pass a law that will let us shoot the idiots who try to pull that crap.

Not really, but I wish we were.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
So will the new update be out Thurs the 20th Paul?

Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Here's a loop for everyone.

Sunday, 2nd gear, manual mode, TCS off, upper 60's F outside, 2hr soak.
Leaving a traffic light, less than 10 mph, still in second (started off from 0 MPH in 2nd) slowly accelerating, quick loss of momentum resulting in a jerk (no high RPM's, almost a stall) then it continued to move as if nothing happened.
Over a half tank. Hasn't happened since and was certainly transmission related only this time without changing gears.

These are such strange issues.
I can't wait for this new firmware.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
that seems to point more towards hardware then software... I hope I'm wrong

Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM
DK Farms
Junior User

Add me to the list. I only experienced the over-revving between gears twice so far, both times accelerating into traffic. My first instinct was to take my foot off the accelerator, then it shifted with a bang. I have 14K miles. My cousin's truck is doing it, too. He has 25K on his. Called the dealer,SUPRISE!!, first they'd heard of it. Please Ford, fix this.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
srosa
Junior User

Originally Posted by djjoshuad
In TX, we're trying to pass a law that will let us shoot the idiots who try to pull that crap.

Not really, but I wish we were.
My truck becomes about 10 feet wide when I see those idiots coming! Heaven help them if I'm towing

Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Thom12
Senior User
The couple times mine has done the slamming shift I have noticed that if it slams into third it is also going to slam into fifth. If it shifts ok into third, fifth is ok also. I have never noticed the high rev, just hard shifting about 20 times.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Wasn't the new flash due out today?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM
TyWebb
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
Wasn't the new flash due out today?
I called my dealership today and they said nothing is out yet.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Xyzzy
Senior User
Weird situation:

I have documented here my harsh shifting and the occasional not-sure-which-gear-we-should-be-in and the occasional shifting "flare".

It has been getting worse since I bought the truck months ago.

Yet today, with no intervention on my part, the truck shifted pretty darn good. It was freaky!

Now, we did have a pretty good thunderstorm with lots of lightning, so maybe Ford is delivering PCM upgrades via lightning strikes?

Any idea why all of a sudden it works better?

I know tomorrow it will be back to the same old harshness. (Or will it? Stay tuned!)

Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Nope, it's not the lightning.
Had plenty of that Friday and had the shift flare without shifting Sunday.
Lighting/thunder as I type; we'll see about tomorrow!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Weird situation:

I have documented here my harsh shifting and the occasional not-sure-which-gear-we-should-be-in and the occasional shifting "flare".

It has been getting worse since I bought the truck months ago.

Yet today, with no intervention on my part, the truck shifted pretty darn good. It was freaky!

Now, we did have a pretty good thunderstorm with lots of lightning, so maybe Ford is delivering PCM upgrades via lightning strikes?

Any idea why all of a sudden it works better?

I believe you are the other one that disconnected the battery (like me). I've been very hesitant to say anything, but mine has done much better the last 2 weeks or so. Not perfect, still the harsh 4-5 shift and occassional very hard downshift, but much better than before. I hadn't said anything because after the disconnect it was still the same, but maybe it is learning and improving. I wanted to give it a little more time, until I saw your post.
I know tomorrow it will be back to the same old harshness. (Or will it? Stay tuned!)

Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think this is all temperature related, brought on by cold weather, and a repeated driving pattern the initial testers and designers didn't see. longer short term cooling (soak) times than expected, but not overnight. this left the computer confused when the fluid temp sensor and the case temp sensor disagreed significantly. (upper and lower, whatever, two sensors measuring things that cooled at significantly different rates, but are interdependent)

I suspect the bang/harsh shift was the result of some exception handler saying.. whoa nellie!!.. gotta shift NOW, full pressure!! cause the other logic threw up its hands and couldn't decide. fixing this last part, and maybe shortening the timeout and softening the apply pressure curve in the exception handler would be my guess at the total fix.

I'm not an automotive engineer, but am a software system architect and designer, so I see similar circumstances all the time. the repeated symptoms discussed fit into the scenario pretty well.

sam

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues