Sponsored by:

4x4 hub? grindding noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Bakerboy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 hub? grindding noise

I have been lurking for a while. Thanks for all the great info. I have a 2001 V8, original owner.
Now I am basically stumped and hope you can help. I thought I was having front locking hub issues, so per Guzzles info I pull the locking hub assemble and cleaned and regreased everything and changed O ring.
2 things are happening.
1) I do not appear to be going into 4x4. I have changed the lines from fender to hub, just incase vacuum was an issue
2) Whenever we hit bumps in the road, I get a horrible gridding noise; I believe the right side. If I turn the 4x4 dash switch to 4WD (on) and then turn back (off) the noise goes away.
I thought by redoing the locking hub would help, but after a test drive I still have the same issues.
Hit a bump in the road and getting horrible gridding noise.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Can you tell me what this could be or where to start?

Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Shepherd2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you hit the bumps and get the noise is it in 4x4? Sounds like the hubs are only partially engaging. Does the noise only happen during the bump or does it continue after the bump? Could also be the hub bearing, backing plate, hard to tell without seeing or hearing it. Did you check the front end for worn components or hub bearings for smoothness?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Bakerboy
New User
It happens when we are driving down the road in 2WD. Hitting a pot hole or railroad tracks will cause it to make the noise. Could be driving at 30 MPH or 55. Speed doesnt seem to matter. Dry or rain. But hitting a bump seem to create the noise and flipping in and out of 4WD seems to stop it.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm at the dealer now same issue, had both of mine replaced in January. Was here 2 weeks ago they replaced right side due to excesive noise, Still same crap! Noticed the tech forgot to add o-rings. I am hoping that's the reason. Only other possibility ford sending out defective parts. Will know in few minutes, I will post findings soon.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Nosedive1
Junior User
I can't speak of this problem on an Ex since mine is a 2wd, so I may not be much help, but my previous truck was a 06 Ford F-150 4x4 with vacuum hubs and it would make that same noise that would go away when you turned it to 4x4 and then back off. It turned out to be a small vacuum leak. HTH.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:52 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Ok, so after replacing o ring, new hub (3rd time in 60 days) shop manager had tech remove everything. After careful inspection of every possible part with me present. The axle shaft is showing a little wear ( not on the tooth side but rather on the smooth side). When the truck is in 4x4 mode no noises because There is a bit more pressure on axle, hub etc. Everything is perfectly centered. Once in 2 wheel drive there is just enough play (barely any) that when I go over any bumps the noise is there.

All grinding noises are gone from new hub at this point. The temporary fix in my case for the axle shaft was the large amount of grease used at the shaft. Just drove home No Noises! This will be a future repair, but for now all good.

Tech said, he would not change at this point, can not cause anything else to go bad.

Quote for doing both Axle shafts just under $1,000. May do this in another 100k miles or so.

So, start with the basics, check vacuum for leaks, check and lube hubs (remove it and drive over bumps). Replace if originals.

Good luck!!

Hopefully is will not be your case.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Bakerboy
New User
Any though on going with the mile marker or Warner hubs? Would this alleviate the problem?
Then I wouldn’t have any vacuum issues.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say to check your needle bearings. If you were on guzzles site you can look them up on there. Now as I recall you can change out just the needle bearings, press out old and press in new.

The outer shaft spins on the needle bearings.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:02 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
I like keeping most everything oem unless I truly believe the part I'm replacing is much better than original.
I have used warn hubs on other 4x4's and really like them. However, this would have you getting out of your x everytime you want to engage 4 wheel drive and again for 2 wheel drive. Defeating the simplicity that so nice now.
If your on a budget the warn is not a bad way to go. Quite a few people on this forum call this a an upgrade, only you can decide.

In my case, again I prefer the oem system. I did get over 160k miles without issues.

My hubs are now under 1 year ford warranty.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Needle bearings can be replaced, cheap item. Mine looked good today.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I like keeping most everything oem unless I truly believe the part I'm replacing is much better than original.
I have used warn hubs on other 4x4's and really like them. However, this would have you getting out of your x everytime you want to engage 4 wheel drive and again for 2 wheel drive. Defeating the simplicity that so nice now.
If your on a budget the warn is not a bad way to go. Quite a few people on this forum call this a an upgrade, only you can decide.

In my case, again I prefer the oem system. I did get over 160k miles without issues.

My hubs are now under 1 year ford warranty.
I do to and I imagine there are plenty of used parts out them to easily keep them working.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 PM
F-series Fan
Senior User
my experience with auto-hubs has always been poor, But then I always bought used (trucks) I've always went the warn way and never had issues, If it's crappy outside lock them in before leaving, that way you don't have to get out again. But that's just my opinion. either way, best of luck.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Shepherd2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's a ratcheting sound it's most likely the needle bearings (C6TZ-3123A) which are only about $15 each. Also check the axle shaft where the bearings run for any wear.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Grinding noises when hitting potholes is typically a needle bearing problem and is 100% affected by switching in and out of 4WD

Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
ExV10, in my case back in January my problem started with vacuum system, it would not hold in auto position fully.

There are quiet a few places and parts to look at. Most leading to same or similar problem.

Quick Reply: 4x4 hub? grindding noise