Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Freshman User

weaver79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
detach speedo cable from dash speedometer? HOW?!

Does anyone/has anyone detached there speedo cable from the speedometer in the dash.
Im really confused on how to do this, I just spent an ungodly amount of time trying to figure it out and im really stumped and pissed! with no success!!!

My dash lights are wearing me out and I really need to figure out why they dont like to stay lit, but I cant see behind there to actually get a good look. Plus im trying to get my truck taken apart as much as I can before I get it painted.

Any insight would be greatly honored!!!!

Nathan

Just scaping it to make it!
Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 AM
Junior User

sleepy_fella is starting off with a positive reputation.
There's a white clip on your speedo cable behind your dash that you have to lift up, then the speedo cable pulls out. I spent the same ungodly amount of time before I figured it out. Once you do its quite simple.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM
BC Chapter LDR

Zip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputation
On the speedo there is an indent that the white clip clips onto. I push the white clip over to one side and kind of wiggle it. It's kind of hard to explain.

Does that make sense?
Chris,#12 BS'er/Official Slackmaster #7/AVIDEST WINTER HATER
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Zoodad Mod, Blue Spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, Tripple Gauge Pod, Scangauge II, Leveling Kit, Straight Piped
Old 03-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Elder User

ShamelessMT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Video from user bucks77ford:

Old 03-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Elder User

Witty73 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have also found that cussing seems to help.
78 F350 Dually
76 F350 Dually
74 F100 project
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior User

seventysevenF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No need to offend anyone but, if you need a video to show you how to do this, you shouldn't be touching a vehicle. All of my experience has come from as we did not have the internet when I grew up.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Elder User

Witty73 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I didnt have the internet growing up either, thankfully I know a good thing when I see it. The internet and ultimately the videos posted by gracious and helpful individuals such as Bucks are simply another tool in a modern day toolbox. growing up I learned alot watching and helping my dad. Think of the internet as another dad for alot of younger or inexperienced enthusiasts.

PS..he's the one who taught me to cuss at the speedometer cable.
78 F350 Dually
76 F350 Dually
74 F100 project
Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 PM
MSEE

fmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventysevenF150 View Post
No need to offend anyone but, if you need a video to show you how to do this, you shouldn't be touching a vehicle. All of my experience has come from as we did not have the internet when I grew up.
I disagree. If this were something that was right in front of you and you're looking at it, then yes, you should be able to figure it out on your own. But since it's behind the dash, there is little room for your hands, and you have to go by feel, I think it helps to see it done once in plenty of light, so you can put a picture with what you're touching.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Post when I get chance

bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.bucks77ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Some of these speedo cables can be a PITA and even though you think you are doing it right, they can be stuck and not come loose. If you have never messed with these speedo cables before than they can be tricky. It's crazy, but I've seen many trucks in junkyards with the white clips broke. So, many people either don't know how to get the cable off or it would come off. What's wrong with doing a little research before Diving in. Granted I've learned many things since joining forums like this and before I started my build, I didn't know anything about these trucks.

77 F250 4x4 Highboy 521 stroker
75 F250 2wd Supercab 460
Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 PM
BC Chapter LDR

Zip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty73 View Post
I didnt have the internet growing up either, thankfully I know a good thing when I see it. The internet and ultimately the videos posted by gracious and helpful individuals such as Bucks are simply another tool in a modern day toolbox. growing up I learned alot watching and helping my dad. Think of the internet as another dad for alot of younger or inexperienced enthusiasts.

PS..he's the one who taught me to cuss at the speedometer cable.
I taught myself how to cuss at the speedometer cable and it only took a few short minutes. That part is a lot easier than getting the cable off sometimes.
Chris,#12 BS'er/Official Slackmaster #7/AVIDEST WINTER HATER
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Zoodad Mod, Blue Spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, Tripple Gauge Pod, Scangauge II, Leveling Kit, Straight Piped
Old 03-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Senior User

seventysevenF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc400 View Post
I disagree. If this were something that was right in front of you and you're looking at it, then yes, you should be able to figure it out on your own. But since it's behind the dash, there is little room for your hands, and you have to go by feel, I think it helps to see it done once in plenty of light, so you can put a picture with what you're touching.
I somewhat disagree with myself as well. I'm just saying that figuring out the odd thing here and there for ourselves is good for the mind, body, and soul. This is just me but, I don't think I couldn't sleep at night knowing I had to watch a video on how to remove a speedo cable. Dad wouldn't be proud. And by the way, no you can't see the connection, but all it takes is a little mirror under the dash and ,there it is. It seemed to me that the first couple of posts were enough info him to get it apart, the video was a little overkill, almost an "In case your stupid" answer.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Junior User

SteveJH is starting off with a positive reputation.
"no need to offend" indeed

I will not call anyone names on this forum or I will possibly be banned.

Last edited by LxMan1; 09-12-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: removed offending word.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Elder User

Stinky7-11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You might want to remove cable from trans and pull a little slack up to the dash this will take a little more time and you will be able to put your eyes on it. you will get it.

I don't get it, some of you forget why we come to these forums! HELP! Funny non supporters are biggest offenders.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Senior User

weez440 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventysevenF150 View Post
I somewhat disagree with myself as well. I'm just saying that figuring out the odd thing here and there for ourselves is good for the mind, body, and soul. This is just me but, I don't think I couldn't sleep at night knowing I had to watch a video on how to remove a speedo cable. Dad wouldn't be proud. And by the way, no you can't see the connection, but all it takes is a little mirror under the dash and ,there it is. It seemed to me that the first couple of posts were enough info him to get it apart, the video was a little overkill, almost an "In case your stupid" answer.

so you wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing you watched a video that saved you time and alot of cussing to get something apart? i like many people swore at that damn cable but not everyone is a mechanical wizz as you apparently proclaim yourself to be. give the guy some slack and if you have stupid insensitive comments maybe you should keep them to yourself.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
Yep, the internet is a great tool and not everybody is the perfect mechanic. If they were, there would be no auto shops, because everyone would fix their own vehicles.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 PM