1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Looking for an ignition upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:53 PM
williamsportwrestler
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for an ignition upgrade.

Hello all it's been a while since I posted. I just got my 82 back together I pulled the bed off repainted everything and rebuilt the rear axle. It drives like a dream now! I have a new question I want to upgrade to a new ignition system. The one it has now it still works... But... The wires are a mess all the connectors are cracked and broken. Plugs are disconnected the smog pump line has a sparkplug shoved in it. I want to get rid of the excess as much as possible. Right now its a big mess of goobly glop. Redneck enginered to the max. Is there a kit or a simpler system that can be used instead of all of these wire bundles everywhere? Thanks for reading and responses.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM
williamsportwrestler
Junior User
Oh by the way I forgot to post that the truck is a 1982 F-150 XLT Lariat with a 351W. The only upgrades are a Summit intake and Carb combo and an MSD Blaster 2 coil.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 PM
nolan62
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I use the D.U.I distributor from Performance Distributors. It is a one piece unit, distributor, ignition coil, and box. There are 2 wires to connect, power and tach.
They ask you some questions about your vehicle and then build and calibrate it to your needs. Mine runs great and the trick fires up the first time every time.
It's not cheap but when you add up all the parts for a regular ignition system the cost is pretty close.

Ford DUI - Street/Strip Version

Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Wild Karrde
Senior User
You might also check into Summit or MustangsUnlimited.com for their "H.E.I." style distributors. Similar design to the GM HEI coil-over-cap setup. They're a great upgrade on a 302 or 351W and a direct bolt-in using just two wires (ignition power and tach). They can be had for between $150 and $250 depending on the brand and what sales they have going at the moment.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Change for changes sake??

Originally Posted by Wild Karrde
You might also check into Summit or MustangsUnlimited.com for their "H.E.I." style distributors. Similar design to the GM HEI coil-over-cap setup. They're a great upgrade on a 302 or 351W and a direct bolt-in using just two wires (ignition power and tach). They can be had for between $150 and $250 depending on the brand and what sales they have going at the moment.
Careful how you phrase that. A $150.00 drop-in is not an upgrade, it's a change. Nothing more.

The DuraSpark II ignition system is a fine system, and worth the effort to restore if your harness has gotten out of whack. A DSII module has advantages that the "others" don't, like being able to retard the timing for easier starts when warm.

Performance Distributors makes a fine dist, but you get what you pay for, and you'll pay a premium with them. I am currently considering their DSII style dist for my own engine. I moved away from the DSII before I knew better, and now I want to go back. I collected a harness from the JY, and have now completly rebuilt it. Now it's all nice and pretty!

Just waiting for a few extra bucks...

http://www.performancedistributors.c...dduraspark.htm

Last edited by Anafiel; 03-07-2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The plug at my distributor was falling aprt so before it left me sitting on the side of the road I just cut the connector out and soldered the wires together. I have done the same at the module side on other trucks. It just makes it a little harder to replace parts if they go bad, but I think its worth it to eliminate a potential problem. A new harness would be a better option, but this was free!!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Wild Karrde
Senior User
Sorry, I think of reducing the amount of wires running everywhere in my engine bay as an upgrade. Anything that increases performance or looks of my cars is an "upgrade" to me.

Getting rid of that bundle and box on the fender well makes the engine bay look a lot cleaner, and has less things to snag or damage while I'm working around in there.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Wild Karrde
Sorry, I think of reducing the amount of wires running everywhere in my engine bay as an upgrade. Anything that increases performance or looks of my cars is an "upgrade" to me.

Getting rid of that bundle and box on the fender well makes the engine bay look a lot cleaner, and has less things to snag or damage while I'm working around in there.

If you don't want the ignition module on your fender well, I'd love to have a spare. PM me and we'll work something out on it, ok?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
williamsportwrestler
Junior User
I appriciate all of the rapid responses although now I have two new questions. Question 1 what is the MSD 6AL box and can I use this with my current setup. Eliminating the original wiring The reason being I do a lot of high rpm mud bogging and the rev limiter option is atractive to me, I don't want to spin a bearing. Question 2 what is the giant box under my drivers seat? Thanks a bunch all I appriciate it.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Sounds like you've got a stock motor. If your current ignition is a Duraspark II you won't see any benefit from an MSD box or distributor. Duraspark II distributors are pretty easy to recurve and you can get adjustable vacuum advance cans for them. Replacement ignition boxes are cheap and readily available used or new. I'm pretty sure I've seen new plugs with pigtails for a few bucks. Worst case just find generic weatherproof plugs with the corret number of pins. Repair what you have, your money is better spent in other areas if you want more power.

With a stock cam, no port work on the heads, and no headers along with whatever cheapy dual plane the Summit brand is and that knockoff carb you're not gonna be spinning to the point where your ignition will be cutting out.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Sounds like you've got a stock motor. If your current ignition is a Duraspark II you won't see any benefit from an MSD box or distributor. Duraspark II distributors are pretty easy to recurve and you can get adjustable vacuum advance cans for them. Replacement ignition boxes are cheap and readily available used or new. I'm pretty sure I've seen new plugs with pigtails for a few bucks. Worst case just find generic weatherproof plugs with the corret number of pins. Repair what you have, your money is better spent in other areas if you want more power.

With a stock cam, no port work on the heads, and no headers along with whatever cheapy dual plane the Summit brand is and that knockoff carb you're not gonna be spinning to the point where your ignition will be cutting out.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
williamsportwrestler
Junior User
I was more worried about spinning a bearing. Than the ignition cutting out. I still would like to know what the large electrical box under the driver seat is used for?

Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by williamsportwrestler
I was more worried about spinning a bearing. Than the ignition cutting out. I still would like to know what the large electrical box under the driver seat is used for?
I think I remember something about a california emission computer being under the seat.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You can run a MSD 6A and can get an MSD cable that plugs it up to the Duraspark
distibutor. I run an MSD 6A and the cable and have a DUI modified Duraspark type
distibutor on my 351W. It runs well and is a pretty clean installation.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by williamsportwrestler
I was more worried about spinning a bearing. Than the ignition cutting out.
If you're not worried about the ignition cutting out then why do you want to upgrade it? Duraspark II is more than adequate for a stock or mild to moderate engine. Unless you have a whole lot of compression and spin to the moon, you're not gonna have trouble with it. The time and money can be better spent in other areas.

Quick Reply: Looking for an ignition upgrade.