1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Scan Gauges...Monitors????

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 PM
gt40racing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scan Gauges...Monitors????

What are you guys using to monitor your truck parameters....using the OBII port???? Thanks in advance....

Old 03-05-2011, 12:06 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Aeroforce scan gauge.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
there is an AE, you can get that though riffraffdiesel for a decent price.
and then a scan gauge, which I think Clay sells, but I know Joey at terminator engineering sells.

Most of us here have scangauges, and a few have Auto Engenuity (sp)

The ultimate info will come from AE, but you can get a lot of great info though the ScanGauge.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 AM
mq1shooter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I have AE -laptop Version - I am limited to data that only my 95' PCM and the sensors or lack of, can provided to the AE. Guy's with newer PSD model trucks with more sensors / more capable PCM?...if I am on the right track here....have more capabilities than I....My question is with a scan gauge, and my older OBS, am I still limited on what the scan gauge can provide? being it to reads from the PCM and sensors?.....

Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
I believe you are correct, the Scanguage isn't going to pick up any more than AE because they are both reading from the same place. You can add a sender for other inputs to the Scanguage like fuel pressure or coolant temp though if you want to see more. I do not remember for sure, but I think you are limited to 2 additional inputs to the guage.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 AM
gt40racing
Senior User
This is great info guys. Now I need search out some prices....

Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by gt40racing
This is great info guys. Now I need search out some prices....
Riffraff Diesel: AutoEnginuity Total Ford Enhanced Bundle

Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 AM
mq1shooter
Elder User
Originally Posted by mq1shooter
As I have AE -laptop Version - I am limited to data that only my 95' PCM and the sensors or lack of, can provided to the AE. Guy's with newer PSD model trucks with more sensors / more capable PCM?...if I am on the right track here....have more capabilities than I....My question is with a scan gauge, and my older OBS, am I still limited on what the scan gauge can provide? being it to reads from the PCM and sensors?.....

With that said...depends on what you want the AE or scan gauge for? personally I wanted/needed it to diagnose my "no start", I like the functionality of being loaded on a laptop...already help another forum member w/diagnostics and will go the pillar route for basic gauges. But AE on the laptop would be @ss pain to watch data live while driving...by yourself. Depends on what suits you.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
AE picks up far more than the scan gauge technically.

You can monitor more at once (not 100% sure on that one) but you can also store data logs and charts, which the scan gauge cannot.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mq1shooter
With that said...depends on what you want the AE or scan gauge for? personally I wanted/needed it to diagnose my "no start", I like the functionality of being loaded on a laptop...already help another forum member w/diagnostics and will go the pillar route for basic gauges. But AE on the laptop would be @ss pain to watch data live while driving...by yourself. Depends on what suits you.
I have some idea's to go along with this.
Not sure if it will work yet.

Thinking kinda slick like the banks PDA setup, but .. bit bigger.

Gotta get my hands on the right tablet that I can force the AE Software on to that has a touch screen.

Only problem is, the setup might be slightly distracting in the long run.

My laptop I had setup to do this when I got the AE stuff decided to pass away on me.
So I have to buy something newer.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MagKarl
I believe you are correct, the Scanguage isn't going to pick up any more than AE because they are both reading from the same place. You can add a sender for other inputs to the Scanguage like fuel pressure or coolant temp though if you want to see more. I do not remember for sure, but I think you are limited to 2 additional inputs to the guage.
You can add in a second scan gauge, but the manual says its possible that you can loose functionality running 2 gauges.
IE: some gauge feature or readouts might not work.

if you got a manual, you can get away with it like me going with a boost and pyro and a scan gauge. In all technicality, i could dump my boost sensor as well.
So if you had an auto, trans temp, EGT's and a scangauge would give you all the data you could ever need.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 AM
mq1shooter
Elder User
Originally Posted by Talyn
AE picks up far more than the scan gauge technically.

You can monitor more at once (not 100% sure on that one) but you can also store data logs and charts, which the scan gauge cannot.
True...AE will with the Live Data tab's see different parameters at once and yes the download to excel or HTML (never did that yet) does come in handy to compare data on paper over a coffee.....also think AE engineers will be adding additional things to help sell their product for the future. BUT, I am stuck with sensors from birth and newer trucks will most likely have sensors multiplying like Ameba's.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:07 PM
gt40racing
Senior User
The reason I am looking at gauges is because I have dual aeroforce on my 2003 Cobra and they are great to have when tuning after upgrades. I am new to powerstrokes and I usually ask questions to help point me in the right direction. Just ordered a 6 position chip and I am doing exhaust. Want to monitor truck as I begin my upgrades. My combo of dual aeroforce and dual wideband has made tuning my Cobra easy...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
as i said earlier.

if you got a manual, you can get away with it like me going with a boost and pyro and a scan gauge. In all technicality, I could dump my boost sensor as well.
So if you had an auto, trans temp, EGT's and a scangauge would give you all the data you could ever need.

EGT's are important if you wanna do some modding.
Scan gauge wont give you that.
With the EGT gauge and a Trans temp gauge if you have an auto, you'll be all set if you top it off with 1 scan gauge.
Really only need to monitor engine oil temps.
But you can load up ICP and PSI settings for testing purposes.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can incorporate a pyro and boost (if you wanted to) into the Aeroforce. At least thats what the website states.

Quick Reply: Scan Gauges...Monitors????