Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Posting Guru

Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.
Testing finished biodiesel product

Just wondering what you guys do to test your biodiesel after you make a batch. Going to pick up the system on sunday and want to make a batch to see how it works out.

Thanks guys

Philip Berardi
Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Ford With Out Tax Money

snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
if you go to Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums they would know more. or thedieselstop.com and ask.com
Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.25 Cent. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Gooseneck, AE Ford Bundle. Member On RHN
Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Posting Guru

Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.Philip Berardi has a very good reputation on FTE.
Wow this is embaressing I'm on my phone did iaccidentlt postthis inthe wrong section?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Berardi View Post
Just wondering what you guys do to test your biodiesel after you make a batch. Going to pick up the system on sunday and want to make a batch to see how it works out.

Thanks guys

Philip Berardi
First test I do is a preliminary soap test. Shake equal amounts water and biodiesel vigorously in a jar for 10 seconds. At room temp it should separate into two layers in about 20-30 minutes, clear water underneath, and absolutely no layer of anything whatsoever in between. I'll run another wash cycle if it does not meet this criteria. For futher testing I'll do a soap titration to see that I am achieving less than 50ppm soaps. The shake test is the first test however, and lately that's all I have been doing since my oil source and procedures have not varied at all in the past couple years, and perhaps I have become a bit complacent.

My first test for water content after I dry my biodiesel is to put a sample in the fridge until it reaches 45F. If it remains clear, I consider it dry. If there are any wisps or cloudiness I will do a hot pan test on it. Take a hot pan and swipe about a 1/4 teaspoon on it. If it bubbles and/or spatters, then you have moisture. If no reaction other than smoking, then it's dry. There is a further method I will employ called the weigh-heat-weigh method, which involves heating a sample in the microwave and weighing it before and after to see if any moisture evaporated out.

Please keep in mind that my preliminary soap and dryness testing methods are very rudimentary and just a starting point for testing your home brewed biodiesel.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Posting Guru

thanks for the info alan....and matt that is where this is posted?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Ford With Out Tax Money

snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
at first it was on the 99-03 forum, i believe. unless i was on the wrong one? dont know but you are in the right place.
Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.25 Cent. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Gooseneck, AE Ford Bundle. Member On RHN
Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 PM