Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost and front license plate???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Arctic Fox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost and front license plate???

I just happened to see a new F150 ecoboost on the road. Question: what was Ford thinking when they offset the front license plate assembly to the side of the front bumber. It looks absolutely TERRIBLE. This would definitely be a deal breaker for me. It looks really bad...like a mistake happened on the assembly line!

I've read people having issues with the blonde wood grain on the lariat and this and that about it (I actually think it looks good but anyway...back to the license plate thing)...but this license plate being on the side of the front bumper on ecoboost models, well, that is just plain craziness. It's just plain horrid looking.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i just saw one today and i thought it was a screw up by the dealer! i cant believe it was factory. it reminds me of the 90s e-series vans...yuck.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
This was posted over on pickuptrucks.com

2011 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost Front License Plate Mounting

The 3.5L EcoBoost engine on the F-150 includes a charge air cooler (CAC or intercooler assembly) that sits directly behind the opening in the middle of the front bumper. Unrestricted airflow to the CAC is essential to ensure maximum performance from the engine. For this reason, where front license plates are required, 2011 F-150s equipped with the EcoBoost engine will have a front left bumper cover that includes license plate mounting features.

Do not install a standard license plate mounting bracket in the middle of the front bumper opening as this will restrict airflow to the intercooler assembly.

If front license plate mounting is desired on vehicles not equipped with this type of bumper cover, order part number BL3Z-17E811-AA which includes both right-hand and left-hand bumper covers. This modification is not a warrantable item.

SSM 21734, which includes similar information directed at Service Departments, was released on Wednesday, February 9, 2011.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
While I've read a number of posts both here and in the EB forum on this matter, I can't imagine that anyone could consider a license plate mount to be a deal breaker.

I consider this as giving the truck it's very own identity. A badge of recognition if you will.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:48 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm with you on this one Tim as it being a way to identify a EB. Especially if one happens to be in the rear view mirror and closing on you quickly!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 AM
n3up
Senior User
I'm glad I live in a state where front plates are not required!

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me though.
If only all those other people would quit buying MY winning powerball tickets.....

Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 AM
alexleblanc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
While I've read a number of posts both here and in the EB forum on this matter, I can't imagine that anyone could consider a license plate mount to be a deal breaker.

I consider this as giving the truck it's very own identity. A badge of recognition if you will.
i didn't consider it a deal breaker and upon seeing them in person, i could really care less. It looks fine. For anyone who doesn't like it, buy and F150 with another of the 3 motors available, i'll enjoy my EB with my offset front plate.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
The offset license plate doesn't bother me a bit. What really bothers me is the big hole in front of the Inter Cooler. There is no screen or grill to deflect any large rocks that will surely come flying in and put a hole in it.

Will ford cover the blown engine under warranty when this happens?

This was not very well thought out and it seems rushed to market.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by excaliber551
The offset license plate doesn't bother me a bit. What really bothers me is the big hole in front of the Inter Cooler. There is no screen or grill to deflect any large rocks that will surely come flying in and put a hole in it.

The engine wouldn't be damaged from not having an intercooler. The denser, cooler air in to the engine allows it to put out more power. But hot air won't hurt it at all. That's to say "IF" the intercooler got damaged.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Good question.

I think the tires are not protected well either. I mean, they are just rolling on the ground unprotected from all the nasty things that can puncture them. Must be a design flaw! I wonder if they'll cover those under warranty should some object completely out of the manufacturers control happen to damage them...

Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 AM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
It wasn't a deal-breaker for my wife and I.

It is somewhat distinguishing, like the mid-90s GM fullsize trucks with the 6.5L diesel. Those trucks had two square openings in the front bumper which was an easy way to identify the engine under the hood of that truck.

I'll be sure to post up a lot of pics when our truck is delivered. I guess my EcoBoost with its ugly, off-set, front Texas license plate will be making your eye twitch! LoL

Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User

Every F150 going back at least as far as 1997 has a similar hole in the front bumper. The only protection is the license plate (if you have one). I haven't read anything about people having issues with radiators getting punctured by road debris. I wouldn't expect anything different with the intercooler on the 2011 trucks. If it was a problem 2009-2010 owners would be having issues.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 PM
BrianFX4
Senior User
Does anyone have a picture of the new Ecoboost with the license plate on the side? Just curious to see what it looks like.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
There's no plate installed in this picture, but the mount is there:
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost V-6 Photos and Additional Engine Details - PickupTrucks.com News
Third pic down.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM
BrianFX4
Senior User
Thanks...that gives me a great idea of what it looks like. Not a deal breaker to me just something different.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost and front license plate???