Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Proper timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah from what i hear, the size of the ATS compressor and the exhaust outlet make a mean sound as well. im seriously stoked, you know i was so freaked driving home at the noise, i didnt think to turn up my new radio! hahaha. I am going to dynamat the hood and inside firewall. That ought to make it nicer. Remember i am dealing with a gasser body. not as much sound deadening, well none at all except floor boards lol.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:34 AM
NorthernDiesel
Senior User
[quote=snaponprofile;9983646... it's really nice to hear the turbo winding up upon acceleration anyway. The turbo isn't loud at all - just sounds like music to my ears.[/quote]

Originally Posted by wreckinball
... i didnt think to turn up my new radio! hahaha. I am going to dynamat the hood and inside firewall. ...
Hahaha... love it, I installed a new deck and speakers all around when I installed my Banks kit, was super pumped to have some good tunes, but I still don't turn it on, just listen to the whine and rattle and enjoy!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM
whenry912
Senior User
Originally Posted by vfelix702
wreckin ball .... Congrats to you!!!!! i will be on the same page as you shortly as far as new GP, Injectors, IP... mine is all orignal.... Should i replace the GP and INjectors return caps and lines, then install a new IP as im going to be getting that in about a month or do it ALL together? i have never been there done that so for starters what size socket and Drive do i need for the Glow plugs and injectors? and what size wrench to loosein the flare nuts on IP and Injectors?
I would do it all at once, I have had mine apart 3 different times now, replacing one part at a time... So yeah, do a new pump, injectors and return kit all at once.

Tools: 5/8 wrench for injector line fittings, 1" Deep socket for injectors, 9/16 open and box end wrench for IP bolts, and 5/16 12pt socket for the bolts that hold the IP to the timing gear. there may be a few more wrenches you need depending on what you are swapping from your old IP to the new on.

Whole job took me less than 5 hours including pop testing 16 injectors.

Just a note here, on my truck, with a brand new fuel system, and timed with my Ferret, I can't seem to get it to smoke even under hard acceleration now, at least not any smoke noticeable in the daytime. Runs and idles smooth as silk, no smoke, power is good... kinda like I figure they came from the factory...

Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
This morning was a better trip completely. Felt better, ran better and sounded better. Maybe it was just the shock of it all from the retarded timing to the louder advanced haha.

As for the black smoke. I can sit in my driveway and spit poofs of black. Not thick thick black smoke but its black haha. When i played with the torque screw, it would belch black and fill the air hahaha. Prompty put it back but i need to mess with it again to make the vid, cant believe i didnt make a vid haha

whenry, did you get the 93-95 pump like i did? I am pretty sure mine is set for turbo specs. lol

Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 AM
whenry912
Senior User
Yep, got the late model pump with the torque screw... I don't think they are setup for turbos, the U-Hauls didn't come with any Turbo IDI's did they? Anyway, mine is the late model pump, but I left it alone, didn't turn up any fuel or change any pump setting except for the idle. Mine won't smoke to save it's life now...

Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Hmmm thats odd. I know mine is set back to spec that it came as i marked and remarked lines. Not sure there.