Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'88 F-250 Carb Replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 PM
F-Minus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'88 F-250 Carb Replacement question

I work in Alaska in the summer and we run a 1988 F-250 to haul nets and tow our skiffs around etc. Its got an automatic and an all-stock 460.

Last summer when I went to replace the fuel filter, I found someone had unscrewed the filter bowl without using a second wrench to hold the fuel line, and the steel fuel line was wrapped around itself and Im amazed it was running at all. Anyways, long story short the threads were stripped out the carb body where the filter bowl screws in so I JB-welded it since I needed the truck running RIGHT NOW.

Of course I think I got some metal filings or some mosquitoes or something in there and it runs terribly at low throttle openings.

I figured I'd just replace the whole carb since I dont have a lot of time to work on it while Im up there. Its just not worth my time saving a few bucks rebuilding it.

I mostly use the truck for short trips and occasional boat towing.

After some research, Im leaning towards the Edelbrock Performer 600 or 750. Any suggestions? It needs to be simple to install and maintain, since it can be hard to get parts in those fishing villages.

Also, I would like to ditch the smog equipment (air pump and EGR). Is it true I can just disconnect the belts off the air pump and leave it in place? Also, is the EGR a plate under the carb that I can just remove?

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome, thanks.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:12 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
The edelbrock 600 will work very well on there-I've installed quite a few of them. Be sure to get the auto trans kickdown lever kit as well.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, Edelbrock carbs make good paperweights, and thats about it. If you want a carb you can get parts for just about anywhere go with a Holley, most every auto parts store in the world has a parts kit sitting on the shelf for them.

With a stock 460, you are only looking at needing around 610cfm at 5500 rpm. Either a 67 Truck Avenger or a 670 cfm Street avenger will work like a champ.

Holley 0-90670 - Holley Truck Avenger Carburetors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Holley 0-80670 - Holley Street Avenger Carburetors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

As for the EGR plate, IIRC I used a phenolic spacer and a small freeze plug to block off the feed hole on the intake under the plate on the old stock intake 460 I had swapped into the 78 Bronc.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM
F-Minus
New User
Thanks for the quick replies.

Is that Motorcraft carb that's on there is made by Holley?

Looks like I have some reading up to do!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm gonna have to disagree. Back in the day, I worked in a speed shop & I've installed quite a few Edelbrock carbs replacing the Holley 4180 that came stock on the mid 80's Fords. We always had good luck with them. It's essentially the old Carter AFB design-very simple and easy to work on. Plus, it sounds like the truck sits for long periods-no fuel bowl gaskets to worry about.
Don't get me wrong, I like Holley carbs. I run a Holley TA470 on my Jeep. But to make a blanket statement like "Edelbrock carbs make good paperweights" is just silly IMO.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem I have with Edelbrock is two fold, first their tech line is lousy (try calling and asking about flow numbers on their heads) and as for carbs, they are remaking someone elses old design. In the case of the street carbs, its based on the Carter AFB as you mentioned, and in the case of their motorcycle carbs, its based on a older style Lectron if I recall correctly. They polish it up, give it a new name, and then sell it as the greatest thing since sliced white bread. Agreeably, the Holley is a classic design (old), but there is a reason both Holley is still around making carbs, and most all the hi-performance carbs are based on a Holley design (Barry Grant, etc) they flat out work and are tunable for just about anything you need or want. As for their street carbs, while the carter is an ok design, you can walk into just about any auto store and get parts for a Holley if needed. As for their motorcycle carbs, I REFUSE to service or work on a bike that has one of their carbs on it, and the last one I did work on, I took a 10lb hammer to it to make sure it would never be mounted on a bike again, as it would end up killing someone (poor casting/mfg techniques and design!). Agreeably its strictly an opinion, and I know there are people that swear the other way and will not use a Holley, and there are those that will only use a Q-Jet style carb.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It doesn't have an "all stock 460" if it's an '88.
460's weren't sold carbureted after the middle of the '87 model year.
The advantage of the 600 CFM holley is its single inlet feed. Anything 650 and up requires a 'log' and that necessitates removing a bunch of smog plumbing on the passenger side.
I am aware this is not an issue for you in Alaska, but it is for those of us in emissions regulated states.
Originally Posted by F-Minus
I work in Alaska in the summer and we run a 1988 F-250 to haul nets and tow our skiffs around etc. Its got an automatic and an all-stock 460..

Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
F-Minus
New User
ArdWrknTrk, I double checked and you're right, its an '86 (I'm not good at remembering).

With all this back-and-forth about the carbs, it sounds like they're both pretty good. I'll probably just end up getting which ever is cheaper.