Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM
New User

stephen3776 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2008 F-250 No Turbo Boost

Not sure what the problem is, but I have a 08 with 46000 and no boost at all. Does the 08 have the small hole for the MAP sensor like the the 06?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 PM
New User

2008 F-250 No Turbo Boost

Okay, my 2008 F-250 with 46K had a plugged DPF and went to "Drive to Clean Exhaust Filter" and I drove it about 50 miles without clearing the warning. Instead, the warning changed to Reduced Engine Power. Now I have no turbo boost as the peg stays on zero. Anybody had this problem before?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
MAP is PCM controlled now. You may also have an electronics issue as well with the turbo. If you just turn the key to the on position you should be able to see the linkage move on your turbo's.

You will have to have the hood up and someone to turn the key for you.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
MAP is PCM controlled now. You may also have an electronics issue as well with the turbo. If you just turn the key to the on position you should be able to see the linkage move on your turbo's.
Hey, Scott. MAP is computer controlled by every PSD from '03 onward with the advent of variable geometry turbos. But there's still a MAP sensor.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Thread merged.

Thanks, John!

Stephen, I merged your posts from the other thread into this one so we can keep different problems separate.

Much easier for us to try and figure out your truck's issue without confusing the other thread!

Currently truckless.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 PM
New User

Okay, I get a reading of zero for the bp on the truck with the engine at a very rough idle. Bad MAP sensor? If it is could somebody please tell me where the sensor is located?

Thanks for the move and merge.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 PM

TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen3776 View Post
Okay, I get a reading of zero for the bp on the truck with the engine at a very rough idle. Bad MAP sensor? If it is could somebody please tell me where the sensor is located?
I seriously doubt it's a MAP sensor issue, I've never seen a problem like this be caused by a MAP sensor.

Your truck should be under the 5-year, 100K engine warranty. I'd strongly suggest taking it to the dealer for them to figure out.

Could be a lot of things...bad turbo, engine damage, high pressure fuel problem, etc.

Currently truckless.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Spend now... worry later!

jimd1050 has a good reputation on FTE.jimd1050 has a good reputation on FTE.jimd1050 has a good reputation on FTE.
https://www.facebook.com/JustTruckin.net
No Turbos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen3776 View Post
Okay, my 2008 F-250 with 46K had a plugged DPF and went to "Drive to Clean Exhaust Filter" and I drove it about 50 miles without clearing the warning. Instead, the warning changed to Reduced Engine Power. Now I have no turbo boost as the peg stays on zero. Anybody had this problem before?
That's how my recent problem started - I had just "Returned to Stock" from an Offroad exhaust and tune. I had about 300 miles on the truck since the changes and all of a sudden, the power dropped off. I could still maintain speed and accelerate slowly, but that's it. When I shut the truck off, I heard absolutely no turbo wind down like they weren't even spinning? I got back in the truck and started towards my dealer and the "Check Engine" light came on. I checked the code with my scanner and it said something like "Turbocharger/Supercharger problem".

I made it to the dealer and left it there last Thursday and it's still there. The first thing they told me was the diagnostics said the DPF was clogged. Then they called back and said it wasn't but they needed my stock TAILPIPE. I dropped it off Saturday morning and have heard nothing since!
- Traded
http://www.justtruckin.net/pages/mytruck.html

Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 AM
New User

Correction to my thread where is said "Okay, I get a reading of zero for the bp on the truck with the engine at a very rough idle" the bp was not for back pressure, I meant Barometric pressure. Thus, my reply should have been:
"Okay, I get a reading of zero for the barometric pressure on the truck with the engine at a very rough idle. Is the BARO sensor the MAP sensor(my quick reference code book show a slash between like the two sensors are the same sensor)? Bad MAP sensor? If it is could somebody please tell me where the sensor is located?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Senior User

esaycho is starting off with a positive reputation.
I always thought the reduced engine power after having the drive to clean message meant that now you have to bring it to the dealer for DPF cleaning, as it's too plugged up to do a regen. I think the owner's manual says something along those lines

1996 Ford F-350 Centaurus Conversion. 7.3 PSD, ZF 5 speed
Old 02-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior User

fg250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaycho View Post
I always thought the reduced engine power after having the drive to clean message meant that now you have to bring it to the dealer for DPF cleaning, as it's too plugged up to do a regen. I think the owner's manual says something along those lines
I believe you're on the right track here.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Junior User

sportsfreaked is starting off with a positive reputation.
esaycho is exactly correct. The problem is tha tyour dpf is blocked and the truck cannot clean it via the regen process. The only thing you can do is take it to the dealer and have it cleaned. Let us know once you have it done if that is all it is. Good luck.

Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 PM

TomB985
Lots of misinformation here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaycho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfreaked View Post
esaycho is exactly correct. The problem is tha tyour dpf is blocked and the truck cannot clean it via the regen process. The only thing you can do is take it to the dealer and have it cleaned. Let us know once you have it done if that is all it is. Good luck.
His exhaust filter isn't plugged, something is wrong with his truck.

I saw the "drive to clean exhaust filter" message several times on my '08, all of them under 15,000 miles on the odometer. This means that the truck need to be driven to complete it's regeneration cycle, NOT that the DPF needs cleaning.

Click the image to open in full size.

If the DPF were plugged he wouldn't notice any erratic idle. It's like an air filter, if clogged you will notice decreased performance during high RPM/high power situations, but idle will not be affected for a LONG time. He would have noticed driveability problems long before he noticed an erratic idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen3776
My guess is that there was a problem with one of the exhaust backpressure sensors which caused a long, 50-minute regen cycle. Something probably let go, after sustained 1,100°F EGTs caused by the regen cycle.

The DPF isn't clogged, the truck is broken.

Currently truckless.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Senior User

esaycho is starting off with a positive reputation.
For whatever reason the info I read is not in the 2008 owners manual, however if you look at the 2010 owners manual, 2nd edition it states

DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER (Diesel engine only) —
Displayed when the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is full of particles
(exhaust soot) and the vehicle is not being operated in a manner to
allow normal cleaning. This message will stay on until the exhaust filter
cleaning has begun, at which time the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER
message will be displayed. It is recommended the vehicle operator drive
the vehicle above 30 mph (48 km/h) until the CLEANING EXHAUST
FILTER message turns off. This message is NORMAL. Refer to your
Power Stroke 6.0 and 6.4 Liter Direct Injection Turbo Diesel Owner’s
Guide Supplement for more information.
Note: If this message is ignored, your vehicle will continue to fill the
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) with particles (exhaust soot). If cleaning
is not permitted, the (wrench light wouldn't copy over) light will illuminate and engine power may be
limited. If the vehicle is still not operated in a manner to allow cleaning,
the service engine soon light will illuminate and engine power will
be further limited. Dealer service will then be required to restore your
vehicle to full-power operation.

1996 Ford F-350 Centaurus Conversion. 7.3 PSD, ZF 5 speed

Last edited by esaycho; 02-15-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM