1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Evolution programmer killed ECM??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM
stubborn66
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution programmer killed ECM??

1997 powerstroke diesel. I bought a Edge Evolution programmer for it. When I hooked it up it told me no communication the first time I tried it, I tried it again and and it took the stock program out. I selected program #2 and it started to upload the program and got to 73% and the programmer locked up or stopped uploading the program for 10-15 minutes. I disconnected the cable, rehooked it and it told me the programming had been interupted and the programmer was going to return the ECM to the stock program. It will not fully upload the stock program again now. I tried a few times and it will upload part way and then give a communication error. I disconnected the batteries for a few minutes and then it uploaded the program but when it told me to turn the key off, back on it gave me another communication error. I am thinking the ECM is bad? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Old 02-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
It's a normal issue with Programmers.
Thats why most of us here use chips instead.

Programmers work, but that is the downfall of them.
Programmers re-flash the PCM, and initially when installed they are supposed to "copy" your default programing, which can become error'ed as well if you have any issues during the first boot or what not.

Programmers are not bad, but I don't like them for the reasons that have happened to you.

DP Tuner will re-burn your PCM for you.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 PM
jsmith8686
New User
i have the same one did you by it used cus if they sould it to you and not put the truck back to stock the program is locked up to the old truck vin so that might be y it keeps doing that cus i have unplug my tuner will it was trying to do a tune and it locked my truck down and i had to start over agin

Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
the vin isn't stored in the PCM, so that shouldn't matter.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 PM
jsmith8686
New User
ya i ment ecm but can you help me out just a young man need help is it hard to make my truck a 5 speed not auto i dont know how to use the site

Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 PM
jsmith8686
New User
i have a 02 73

Old 02-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

These guys can help you better Jsmith.
They are the SD guys.

This is the OBS forum. Most of the info is the same, but if there are any particulars, they can help you there with those a lot better.

ECM and PCM are same thing for our truck btw.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:12 AM
stubborn66
Junior User
Well now that my blood pressure has dropped a few hundred points I can see the bright side. I bought the damm thing looking for some fuel saving and I havent burned a gallon since I re-programmed it!!

I left it sit overnight with the batteries un-hooked and I will try it once more today and then call edge.

I kind of liked the fact that it would overwrite the stock program after saving it. I originally felt that was a better option than having something on dash and changing programs unnessarily just to play

Old 02-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Well, chips dont do any programing. they are like a bypass for the system. and you can change easily on the fly. Some programmers dont allow that.

There are also some issues with programmers flashing back to stock as well. I wish I could remember all the points.

There isn't anything wrong with programmers, but there are hickups every now and then like you are finding out.

You'll most likely have to have your PCM re-flashed.
Jody will reflash it to whatever tune you want as well, so you can just send the edge back to the factory. If you just have a stock truck, Jody can flash up a nice econo tune for you and you'll not have to touch it again.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 AM
stubborn66
Junior User
Hi
Thanks for the input, I am figuring I will need it reflashed as well at this point. I left it sit overnight with teh batteries unhooked and it still will not take the whole program. I do belive it is a hiccup because each time I try to program it it "hiccups" at a different point. I am going to keep trying as time allows today to see if it will get all the way through on one of these trys.

Who is Jody that you mention?

Thanks

Tracy

Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by stubborn66
Who is Jody that you mention?
Jody runs/owns dp tuner

Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke

Old 02-13-2011, 03:29 PM
stubborn66
Junior User
Thanks for the info. I looked at the DP tuner site and they only want $80.00 to flash with a 80 hp towing program in it. Now the question becomes, can I get my money back from the edge tuner?

I am just looking for a bit better fuel mileage when towing but I need reliability first. I just bought this truck to replace my 93 dodge and I hope this is not a sign of things to come running this ford.

Any thoughts on reliability in general?

Thanks

Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by stubborn66
Now the question becomes, can I get my money back from the edge tuner?
Maybe on craigslist or ebay? don't think you'd sell it on here...

Have you already looked into intake and exhaust? the downpipe is the most restrictive part in these trucks. Doing those with a good economy tune will help. as for longevity, keep up on fluid changes. may want to throw a trans cooler on if you tow alot (or even not, just good insurance)

It will well outlast any dodge, so no worries there. just needs to be properly cared for and maintained

Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 PM
stubborn66
Junior User
I am going to try to return it. I run a small auto shop so my parts guy will help me if any way possible. That is my first call tomorrow, my second will be to edge and see what they say.

I bought this truck because it was a low mileage 5 speed manual transmission and I haul cars. So far I put a MPBRP exhaust on it, that was a joke, I had to heat and bend it and cut the down pipe to get it to fit. Then the twin I beam was cracked on the driver side, when I tore that down the spider gears were blown apart so I had to change the carrier, spiders,two hours setting up the shims,axle,wheel bearings,and lock out. Then I put in the adjustable bushings in to align it. Test drove it 100 miles and now it's dead in the shop after I programmed it.

My 93 Dodge has 235K on it with an automatic that was rebuilt at about 110K and it has never skipped a beat and I can get 18mpg towing. I have never run anything but Dodge but I dont like the new body style and you cant find the old ones in any kind of shape anymore.

This power stroke seems to have more power but I am not sure if it is because of the manual tansmission, when I get some weight on the trailer I will be able to tell better. It also rides better with the twin I beam but I am not convinced yet.
I am still in it right so I can sell it and make a few bucks if nothing else.

I appreciate the input

Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 PM
stubborn66
Junior User
another question, where is a good location to put the sensor for the pyrometer? I dont see a whole lot of room before the turbo.

oh, and I also changed the lift pump

Thansk

Tracy

Quick Reply: Evolution programmer killed ECM??