Sponsored by: Moser

sick day fun...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sick day fun...

As I am home sick from work today and I don't trust myself to get more then 50' from the bathroom. I did what any self-respecting truck geek would do and started comparing the differences between the f150 and the f250. Now I made the trucks as close to the same as I could. Right down to the oxford white and black steps). I was comparing the heavy half f150 super cab (7 lug) with the same set up on the 250. So both have the extended cab and a 8' bed (very important to me). They are both loaded xlt's. This is where the difference start. F150 has the ecoboost engine as is required with the heavy duty payload package. It is $40955 as I put on it what I wanted. Right down to the bucket seats. It's max payload is 2440 lbs and has a max tow rating of 11200 lbs. Now onto the F250 I built it with the 6.2 as I can not use the diesel enough to justify the cost. The F250 has a max payload of 2780 lbs and a max tow of 12500 lbs. The final cost was $42775. Now I know that some would say that $1820 is a small cost to pay for that much "more truck". Some would say that it is $1820 plus long term cost are in favor of the F150. Now I have 3 years 3 months and 3 weeks to decide which truck is better suited to my needs, but I would love to hear your thoughts on what is the better deal. So let a friendly debate begin.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
340 pound payload difference.

1300 pound towing difference.

$1820 cost difference.

1820/1640=$1.10 per pound of additional towing capacity.

Not bad.

But now you need to check the cost of insurance for each.

and figure the fuel mileage cost over say a 100,000 miles.

And the cost of an extended warranty. No way I would drive that ecoboost without one. Love the turbo's, just scared of the replacement cost.

Just some random ideas thrown out there. For like you I will need a good tow vehicle in the next 3 to 4 years and have been kicking it around also.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by akalogan
Some would say that it is $1820 plus long term cost are in favor of the F150.
Not sure I see the logic there. Either way, the F250 is the obvious choice.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Originally Posted by fz1dave
Not sure I see the logic there. Either way, the F250 is the obvious choice.
I was mainly talking fuel cost in addition to the extra cost of the F250.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
akalogan
Senior User
fz1dave- I am just curious what kind of fuel economy do you get with your truck? It is not the biggest factor, but it is one to consider. I really have not been checking real world economy on the 6.2. Thank you for the input.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
I was mainly talking fuel cost in addition to the extra cost of the F250.
The Ecoboost is rated at 15/21 MPG city/hwy for 4WD models. You can bet the farm those are optimistic numbers, as are every single MPG rating ever put out for any vehicle.

So by my experience, you'd be averaging 12-14 MPG city, which is exactly what I'm getting with the 6.2. The numbers would probably be identical on the highway too.

IMO you aren't going to save any dough with the EB where gas is concerned. Not sure maintenance costs are any cheaper in the long run either, they may even be more.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
akalogan
Senior User
Originally Posted by fz1dave
The Ecoboost is rated at 15/21 MPG city/hwy for 4WD models. You can bet the farm those are optimistic numbers, as are every single MPG rating ever put out for any vehicle.

So by my experience, you'd be averaging 12-14 MPG city, which is exactly what I'm getting with the 6.2. The numbers would probably be identical on the highway too.

IMO you aren't going to save any dough with the EB where gas is concerned. Not sure maintenance costs are any cheaper in the long run either, they may even be more.
Now I am not trying to argue, but how do you figure that the EPA ratings are off? I have found them to be very accurate on my wife's edge? Also with the F150 being lighter and with a smaller engine in theory it should be at an advantage over the heavier and bigger F250/6.2 setup. With that being said I will never think the F250 or the F150 is a bad truck. Very much the opposite, I think both are winners with strengths and weaknesses and for some odd reason my wife seems to be less scared of the F150.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
grm61
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no proof

But my gut tells me your average Joe that's not beating the snot out of the ecoboost, is going to get 17-24 MPG.

The 6.2 will be considered a pig by comparison.

Thats my forecast, like it or not

Time will tell

Greg

Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
If you aren't going to be hauling close to max payload or towing heavy every day, the F150 is more than up to the task and will get far better fuel economy over the life of the truck due to the weight difference and engine size. I have noticed a lot of companies using F150's instead of F250's now for their service trucks due to costs. A lot of these companies are building contractors. Also, the F150 is easier to manuever and park. The couple of inches here and there do make a difference here as well as the decrease in turning radius for the F150.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Now I am not trying to argue, but how do you figure that the EPA ratings are off?
Because every single vehicle I have ever owned in my life has never gotten the "estimated" MPG, from my little 4 cyl. Dodge Colt to my F250. You can automatically subtract 3-5 MPG. I'm not trying to argue either, just stating my experience.

Also with the F150 being lighter and with a smaller engine in theory it should be at an advantage over the heavier and bigger F250/6.2 setup.
Absolutely it should. But I don't think that advantage is going to be as big as you may think.

Originally Posted by grm61
I have no proof ...But my gut tells me your average Joe that's not beating the snot out of the ecoboost, is going to get 17-24 MPG.
If you're going to buy a truck and drive it like grandma on Sunday in Florida, maybe so. Even then I doubt it. That's still a lot of truck to move for a 6 cyl.

The 6.2 will be considered a pig by comparison.
It already is.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
I consider the F-250 to be the better bang for the buck. It's just more truck plain and simple with better resale value when your done with it.

Typically when I've built a SD in the truck site, it carries a larger factory incentive than the F-150.

Based on what I'm seeing here on the local lots, the F-150's are flying off the shelves while the SD's tend to linger a little longer. Excellent negotiation tool.

Likewise, the F-150 is an awesome truck that will fit most people's needs. It'll ride better, get better MPG's and may require a little less maintenance.

Either way, you'll be the winner.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Super Duty is the stronger truck, but the super cab is far too small compared to the F150. The 150's ride should be a bit smother too. The Super should have more powerful brakes too, good for stopping those heavy loads, if it will be used for that. They both seem to have their pros and cons.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 PM
grm61
Senior User
The Super Duty is deffinatley more truck.

The drawback being fuel consumption on the gasser.

Thats a big deal these days unless your in the income bracket where it doesn't matter.

I find feeding a 12 MPG beast these days extremely unpleasant.

Greg

Old 02-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Chug
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Greg B
If you aren't going to be hauling close to max payload or towing heavy every day, the F150 is more than up to the task and will get far better fuel economy over the life of the truck due to the weight difference and engine size. I have noticed a lot of companies using F150's instead of F250's now for their service trucks due to costs. A lot of these companies are building contractors. Also, the F150 is easier to manuever and park. The couple of inches here and there do make a difference here as well as the decrease in turning radius for the F150.
Actually, I would make the argument that the F250 is easier or no more difficult to maneuver than the F150 in the configuration he specificied (S/C w/ 8 ft bed).

The F150 is running on a 163" WB while the 250 is only 158". The 250 is 1 inch wider (mirrors excluded), but with 5 inches less wheelbase, I expect it to turn a tighter circle. It is also my opinion that you can articulate the front wheels at a greater angle, providing a tighter turning radius, with the Twin I-beam front suspension as equipped on 2wd F250s as opposed to the short/long arm setup on the F150s. Don't get me started on how maneuverable my 1991 F150 was...

Another factor that I feel weighs in favor for the F250 being more maneuverable is that the really tall bed sides on the F150 make it harder to see while driving in reverse without a back-up camera. The F250 does sit up tall since it is a 3/4 ton truck, but the bed sides are lower in comparison to the cab. That is the one nice thing about the 12 year old design that the F250 is.

I'd still go with the F150 for the lower cost of purchase and lower cost of ownership. Maneuverable is a word that doesn't really fit either vehicle since they are both enormous. I just thought I'd point out that the F150 isn't necessary easier to drive than the F250. I also wouldn't expect the F150 with the heavy payload package to ride that much smoother than a 3/4 ton truck.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chug
Actually, I would make the argument that the F250 is easier or no more difficult to maneuver than the F150 in the configuration he specificied (S/C w/ 8 ft bed).

The F150 is running on a 163" WB while the 250 is only 158". The 250 is 1 inch wider (mirrors excluded), but with 5 inches less wheelbase, I expect it to turn a tighter circle. It is also my opinion that you can articulate the front wheels at a greater angle, providing a tighter turning radius, with the Twin I-beam front suspension as equipped on 2wd F250s as opposed to the short/long arm setup on the F150s. Don't get me started on how maneuverable my 1991 F150 was...

Another factor that I feel weighs in favor for the F250 being more maneuverable is that the really tall bed sides on the F150 make it harder to see while driving in reverse without a back-up camera. The F250 does sit up tall since it is a 3/4 ton truck, but the bed sides are lower in comparison to the cab. That is the one nice thing about the 12 year old design that the F250 is.

I'd still go with the F150 for the lower cost of purchase and lower cost of ownership. Maneuverable is a word that doesn't really fit either vehicle since they are both enormous. I just thought I'd point out that the F150 isn't necessary easier to drive than the F250. I also wouldn't expect the F150 with the heavy payload package to ride that much smoother than a 3/4 ton truck.
Very good points. I had not thought about the length of each and the turning radius. Will make a big difference in the small, tight rv parks. I don't think the width difference will make any difference.

I agree that the only way to get the F150 close to the payload is to sacrifice some ride comfort, but then again, most F250's ride pretty good when loaded.

And when it comes to fuel mileage, I will have to consider that the tow vehicle will spend 90% of it's time under load. Mine will not be a daily driver to and from work.

Quick Reply: sick day fun...