Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

sync is awful

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
you have to use a southern draw when you speak to sync to get it to understand.. i like to say "im yer fixin to call maw" and it calls my wife or if you say "yeehaw" it will guide you to the closest steak house.

give it a try youll see.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Rifboy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So thats my problem! I've been wondering what the magic was....
I'll be driving through the south next week, I'll give her a spin!
Thanks,
Rifboy

Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
aparentfamily
New User
Originally Posted by shotgunz
I have had the completely opposite experience.

I use Sync to play music, make phone calls, set destinations, find POIs, etc.

After getting the mirror microphone replaced, the VR has been nearly flawless.
I totally agree with Shotgunz. I love my Sync system, had my mic replaced also. And since I changed my cell phone to a Samsung Messager it will even notify me of text messages and read them out loud to me! So awesome.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
FI50
Junior User
Sync is typical Microsoft ... not as intuitive as it should be. Anyone who has used Android knows how easy this stuff SHOULD be.

That having been said, it works pretty well, but requires some time in the owner's manual to get the best out of it.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 AM
Primavera
New User
2010 Harley Davidson F-150 Sync Issues

A lot of great reading regarding the issues with the Sync system. I love my HD F-150 but I am close to taking a shotgun to the sync system. The sync system freezes up, will not read roads while navigating, freezes up while changing channels and also disconnects when trying to make a call. I have pulled the fuse, disconnected the battery for 12 hours and still, nothing seems to correct the issue - an also it did not reset everthing. I believe I can place this issue beginning when I did a complete map update to my system. Nevertheless, it is frustrating and the unit does not do me any good if the navigation does not work while I am traveling. Help guys and looking for recommendations.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:36 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Primavera
A lot of great reading regarding the issues with the Sync system. I love my HD F-150 but I am close to taking a shotgun to the sync system. The sync system freezes up, will not read roads while navigating, freezes up while changing channels and also disconnects when trying to make a call. I have pulled the fuse, disconnected the battery for 12 hours and still, nothing seems to correct the issue - an also it did not reset everthing. I believe I can place this issue beginning when I did a complete map update to my system. Nevertheless, it is frustrating and the unit does not do me any good if the navigation does not work while I am traveling. Help guys and looking for recommendations.
Hey Primavera,

Which system do you have in your truck: Getting Started Guide for the SYNC In-Vehicle Technology | Ford.com

Kim

Old 01-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Primavera
New User
sync

I have the sync with voice activated navigation.

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey Primavera,

Which system do you have in your truck: Getting Started Guide for the SYNC In-Vehicle Technology | Ford.com

Kim

Old 01-14-2015, 01:29 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

This reset should get everything running smoothly again: How to Perform a Master Reset | SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation | Ford.com

Keep in mind that if you currently have a device connected, it will need to be paired again after resetting. Here are the steps: Pair Your Phone with Ford SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation | SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation | Ford.com

Kim

Old 01-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Primavera
New User
sync

Thanks Kim. I did that yesterday but first thing I noticed is I have no aux button. I then selected "menu", "system settings", then "restore factory default" settings. I assume this is also correct as it did want me to confirm. I decided not to muddy the waters so I have not synced my phone or loaded any music. Had a slight delay this morning when testing navigation. It would tell me to turn but belayed and never said the road. Only thing I have noticed this far.
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
This reset should get everything running smoothly again: How to Perform a Master Reset | SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation | Ford.com

Keep in mind that if you currently have a device connected, it will need to be paired again after resetting. Here are the steps: Pair Your Phone with Ford SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation | SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation | Ford.com

Kim

Old 01-14-2015, 03:07 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Primavera
Thanks Kim. I did that yesterday but first thing I noticed is I have no aux button. I then selected "menu", "system settings", then "restore factory default" settings. I assume this is also correct as it did want me to confirm. I decided not to muddy the waters so I have not synced my phone or loaded any music. Had a slight delay this morning when testing navigation. It would tell me to turn but belayed and never said the road. Only thing I have noticed this far.
That was so close! When you get to the RESTORE FACTORY DEFAULT setting (that you mentioned) and scroll to the next selection, it should say MASTER RESET.

If your system continues to act up, I'd give that a try.

Kim

Old 01-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
mine works fine most of the time with the windows shut and the fan off, but what I find most annoying is it won't let me scroll on the screen through multiple pages of my (large) phonebook to get to a number...the babe says something like "directory browsing not allowed while in motion". Well her ears aren't accurate enough to call the number up by voice so I have to either stop or get the passenger to physically pick up the phone and scroll through my phonebook by hand on the actual smartphone screen.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
mine works fine most of the time with the windows shut and the fan off, but what I find most annoying is it won't let me scroll on the screen through multiple pages of my (large) phonebook to get to a number...the babe says something like "directory browsing not allowed while in motion". Well her ears aren't accurate enough to call the number up by voice so I have to either stop or get the passenger to physically pick up the phone and scroll through my phonebook by hand on the actual smartphone screen.
Hey Big-Red-Lariat,

This is an intentional safety feature which can't be turned off. Here are some great tips to help improve voice recognition: Manage your phonebook to work with SYNC | MyFord Touch | Ford.com I encourage you to check them out.

Kim

Old 01-20-2015, 08:12 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the phonebook cleanup tips, but am already doing the lastname/firstname bit. With regard to the volume, I have business requirements for dozens of contacts in my GMAIL and these automatically replicate to my smartphone, so doesn't help me. Thanks anyway, but I would take the view that this "safety" feature should have an off switch for business users.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I myself am not all that impressed with the MyFordTouch system in regards to syncing to a phone particularly playing music. There are lots of little bugs and querks about it that make it very annoying to play music seemlessly. Just yesterday all of a sudden the volume on all my songs being played via usb were sort of muted. I checked tthe settings on the screen and the volume compensation was sttill set at 7. Unplugging it and plugging it back in yielded no change. (and no the songs themeselves were not bad recordings)

There have also been times when connecting my phone via usb it shows it is filing or categorizing the hone again for awhile and at times absolutely will not play music. So I have to go to my phone and highlight the music icon and start playing music from the phone. Well you would think you could then control it from the stering wheel and there are times when that is not the case.

I do not like using bluetooth to play music because it will immediately start playing music as soon as it detects your phone. (sometimes that is not bad but if you don't have it plugged in it will obviously drain your phone battery) Of course I have done a master reset on this system already and these issues still exist.

Other things like the ambient lighting constantly resetting itself to the blue default color is very annoying. It is like this system has hiccups all the time. I have honestly gottten intto the truck and thought I wonder what it will be today with Sync.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Sync is an extremely poor implementation of a computer system with insufficient thought to the design of what basic features SHOULD be there, and insufficient quality control and testing of the features that ARE there.
Another example of a missing fundamentally basic computer feature: backup and recovery. I used to record my CDs onto the hard disk---dozens of them borrowed from many friends and I no longer have the originals. Then the CD drive fails and dealer had to change the whole thing under warranty, but they purport to have no way to download and reload the music from the old Sync hardware to the new Sync hardware, despite the fact there are USB ports. Did it ever cross the minds of Ford/Microsoft engineers that this wonderful device should have a backup/reload feature like every other Microsoft computer? Lost all my music! Lesson learned: keep your music on USB outside of Sync, and make your own backup copies cause if you record it to the hard disk in the dash, it's gone if you hit a bump and the system fails. What kind of proactive forward thinking is that Mr. Ford engineer?

Quick Reply: sync is awful