Sponsored by: Moser

sync is awful

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 AM
rlwatts
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync Sucks

My 09 does the same thing as yours.There putting in a new mic, I ddon't think that is the problem!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sync works 99.5% of the time.

I've been VERY impressed.

Sorry you can't get yours to work.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
I can not use mine in the summer if I have the windows open at all, and I had the heat on high the other day and I had to scream at the top of lungs for the stupid thing to hear me. It cant understand simple commands like "call bill" without saying "IDIDNTUNDERSTANDYOU" or it dialing the wrong number. The GPS navagation isnt so great, IMO, because if you miss your turn it only gives you one chance to get back on the route or you have to re-connect to the server and re-download the info, which if youre in a high traffic area or a freeway it isnt an ideal place to have to wait for it. It seems to be geting worse over time too.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by soundwave
I can not use mine in the summer if I have the windows open at all, and I had the heat on high the other day and I had to scream at the top of lungs for the stupid thing to hear me. It cant understand simple commands like "call bill" without saying "IDIDNTUNDERSTANDYOU" or it dialing the wrong number.
This is common of any voice recognition system, not just Sync. All voice commands need to be given to any device without the presence of background noise...such as open windows...HVAC fans...or in an open area like a concert venue (cellular phone devices).

Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
strattera
New User
Sync works fine for us

We use iPhones so maybe that's the difference? and and have learned to pronounce some words in the language the sync understands so they work right. For example, "call "Hagen" at home" should be pronounced "Hay-gun" but the sync prefers it to be pronounced "Hog-un" which works correctly! Also, we live on DeArmoun Road (Dee-are-mun) but sync prefers it pronounced "Deer-moan".
Not sure what you are referring to with the "turn by turn" stuff relating to your cell phone, my rig has the nav so it does all that itself, no phone required.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 PM
TrapperDave
Junior User
The idea of Sync sounds neat. I guess I'm fortunate my truck (2010 F150 XLT scab) came with but I don't use it yet cause I don't own a cell phone. The dealer says it's really easy to set up and use but this thread raises questions regarding Sync's reliability of use. Guess I'll find out when the day comes that I need to use it. Till then, good luck to all of you with Sync issues.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:22 PM
rgmiller32
Junior User
The 2009 F-150 with sync does not have the directions as part of the sync system. Set your sync to read your phone like it is using it for music input from phone and then use the navigation on the droid phone. It will come over the speakers. This is what I had to do on my 2009 F-150. On the 2010 you can use services then directions and have it down load to the sync. I have used both ways on the wifes 2010 Escape. Sometimes the Droid phone does cause problems when trying to use the services mode on the sync system. And yes it is Verizon. Still find it better to use the Garmin and use the phone via the sync. Way better than the Bluetooth headset.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

I have a Motorola Milestone android cell phone and the Sync in both of my vehicles works fine.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 PM
TrapperDave
Junior User
Does anyone know if the Sync will work with a Tracfone?

Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Please define "work".

Make calls?

Text message?

Transfer phonebook?

Directions and information?

Owner to Owner

Owner to Owner

Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM
jmmec
Junior User
I just switched from Tracfone to Net10 (which is owned by Tracfone) because Net10 had a better selection of phones for my area.

The Samsung R335C phone works with SYNC as far as using the phone book, making phone calls, and the vehicle health report (this is all I've tried).

Also I figured out how to transfer "contacts" from my laptop to the Samsung over Bluetooth, so my master contact list is on the laptop. There are some quirks between the Windows Vista 'contact' list and how the Samsung interprets the info - I'm going to try to find other options.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 AM
rlwatts
New User
Well just to bring everyone up to speed on my Sync adventure. Ford put a new mic on the ceiling nest to the sunglass holder. It seem to hear me now. But it still doesn't know what I'm saying, and keeps calling Lexmark when I want Wes A. Really ?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Rifboy
Junior User
I think that Sync is more of a miss than a success too. It is more distracting than helpful for me. So close to being useful but not there yet imho. I will say that it is the best of the manufacturers attempts I have used so far though, just not ready for the big times.
Rifboy

Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rifboy
I think that Sync is more of a miss than a success too. It is more distracting than helpful for me. So close to being useful but not there yet imho. I will say that it is the best of the manufacturers attempts I have used so far though, just not ready for the big times.
Rifboy
I have had the completely opposite experience.

I use Sync to play music, make phone calls, set destinations, find POIs, etc.

After getting the mirror microphone replaced, the VR has been nearly flawless.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Rifboy
Junior User
I dont have a microphone issue, it hears me ok most of the time, I think my issues are rooted in a frustration with the programing or capabilities of the software. I mean it when I said it is the best I have used. I think it will get better in future models too. I'd like Sync to be able to access more than it does. Specifically I'd like it to be able to choose a destination using the same logic that is available in the menu of the built in Nav unit. We have gone around on this one before and I don't need to get into it again. I am sure that future versions will be better. I do use it to make calls and for that it works well.
Rifboy

Quick Reply: sync is awful