1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advice please: 390 FE or flathead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Horizonblue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice please: 390 FE or flathead?

Hello;
I have been reading posts here for a while and have learned a lot. I also have a question.
Let me first introduce myself. My name is Mike and I had the good fortune to pick up a 1952 F3 and a 1952 F1 for next to nothing. I also own a 1966 F100 Custom Cab. I upgraded the drivetrain to a 545 stroker with a built C6 and added disc brakes and power steering. Lots of money, but hopefully worth it when we use it as a tow vehicle. I have an almost complete original drive train for this truck left over- a fresh 390 FE, and an ironcase Cruis-O-Matic along with radiator, starter, radiator, alternator...etc. All parts are new or rebuilt.
My question is this: Should I use these parts in the F3, and keep all the flathead stuff for the F1, or should I go stock for both vehicles? They both "ran when parked" in a field about 20 years ago, so you can imagine the work involved! I want the F1 to be a fun project and the F3 a working everyday vehicle.
Any thoughts and advice from those with experience would be appreciated.
Mike

Old 02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't do any better than a working Flathead - You will never get as much pleasure driving anything else.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
Honest opinion...flatty in F-1, FE in F-3. Ditch the cruise-o-splodic and get a C-6...the crap-o-matic is a horrid transmission with parts becoming difficult to find. FE's make great work horses...lots of torque and low end power. Maybe make the flat a little hotter with dual pot intakes, finned heads, some other aluminum dress up parts...

Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
You can't do any better than a working Flathead - You will never get as much pleasure driving anything else.
Unless you want power! The flat heads are a great engine and sound awesome but power houses they are not.

The 390 is one tough engine that can make a lot of power.

But either engine is a good choice just depends on what you want out of it.

Personally I'd go with the 390 in the F3 and stick with the Flatty in the F1. Keep the other flatty for a spare. But I agree dump the cruise-o-matic and go with a manual transmission or a C6.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would do the FE. Parts are still available on the cheap.

Flattys and cheap never apear in a sentence togather unless decribing how it will never be.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Horizonblue
Senior User
Thanks, guys. Sounds like the F3 might be headed for a transplant. Will I be facing the same exhaust clearance issues faced by F1 owners (covered a lot in previous threads)? As to the transmission, it's currently a 4 speed, so maybe it would be good to find a 4 speed manual that mates up to the FE?
Anyone have ideas on which transmission might be best?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
I prefer the manual transmissions. If you want a truck type transmission and don't need OD then there are 3 transmissions I'd recommend. My Favorite is a NP435. But there are also the T-18 and T-19. The NP435 and the T-18 are the grany low 4spds. The T-19's are available in a few different versions. The T-19 is fully synchronized. The NP435 and T-18 don't have synchronized 1st gear.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:07 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
flat head.i didnt even read the description

Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
having owned my flatty powered 53 and now the 52 customline , i am real partial to the flatheads ! but in the search for enough grunt to spin the world backwards on it's axis , or launch the enterprise into space for capt. kirk , ya can't beat the grunt of a healthy fe period !!!!!!!!!! as dick said though ya can't beat the smiles per mile of a properly running flatty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Running a C-6 behind the FE in the 53 seems the best combination for towing. Of course you have not said what you are towing and how heavy. I know a number of people have said use a manual and I have towed with both but I found that when manuvering and towing it is a lot smoother with the auto.

Now as for the F1, I would hot up the flatty and mate it to a T-5 5 spd and surprise the hell out of people. Of course that is just me....

jim

Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
I was thinkin the T-5 swap would be nice in the F-1 as well.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Running a C-6 behind the FE in the 53 seems the best combination for towing. Of course you have not said what you are towing and how heavy. I know a number of people have said use a manual and I have towed with both but I found that when manuvering and towing it is a lot smoother with the auto.

Now as for the F1, I would hot up the flatty and mate it to a T-5 5 spd and surprise the hell out of people. Of course that is just me....

jim
He said he's using his 66 for a tow vehicle even though it's a F100.

I don't buy the C6 being best for towing! I'm waving the BS flag on that one. I do a lot of towing and the manual wins hands down! Plus the grany low is a lot less wear and tear on the vehicle for getting heavy loads moving. I'm sorry but if you are having problems manuvering and towing with a manual then you don't know what you are doing.

I've got a 96 E250 with an E4OD in it. I absolutely hate the auto for towing. I'm just waiting for it to kill over so I can swap in a manual.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordman75
He said he's using his 66 for a tow vehicle even though it's a F100.

I don't buy the C6 being best for towing! I'm waving the BS flag on that one. I do a lot of towing and the manual wins hands down! Plus the grany low is a lot less wear and tear on the vehicle for getting heavy loads moving. I'm sorry but if you are having problems manuvering and towing with a manual then you don't know what you are doing.

I've got a 96 E250 with an E4OD in it. I absolutely hate the auto for towing. I'm just waiting for it to kill over so I can swap in a manual.

I appreciate your feelings on a manual but don't you think it is more personal opinion about the trans. I have driven sticks in all kinds of trucks from little to really big so I do have the experience however for a local tow with a pick up and the average driver I still feel the auto is a better deal. Note the use of the word average driver. In tight spaces and manuevering the auto helps the average driver.

I guess we just need to agree to disagree.

jim

Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
In tight spaces and manuevering the auto helps the average driver.

I guess we just need to agree to disagree.

jim

The transmission has nothing to do with how maneuverable a vehicle is for towing. If you have two identical trucks with the only difference being ones an auto and ones a manual. There is going to be no difference in maneuvering either. The only difference is you'll have to use your left leg for the clutch pedal in the manual truck. An automatic isn't going to decrease the wheelbase or turning radius or make the truck narrower.

The manual transmission is easier/cheaper to maintain. A simpler design, that's more durable. Easier to work on. No overheating, No transmission coolers( except a few of the newer ones ) . No bands to adjust. You get to shift the gears. Which means no up or down shifts when you don't want them. No auto hunting for gears while driving down the road. And to top it off you have less power loss with a manual transmission over the automatic! And the steep first gear is easier on the whole truck when towing then the auto's taller first gear. Plus you will get better mileage with the manual transmission.

But just to keep things civil I will agree to disagree on the subject.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
I couldn't love my 390 more. Lots of low end power and with a little love its a demon.

Quick Reply: Advice please: 390 FE or flathead?