EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Performance: 3.5L vs 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Performance: 3.5L vs 5.0L

This is just a simple question because I haven't seen it discussed too much. Perhaps, because they're not but a handful of 3.5L trucks out at this time.

But which truck is supposed to be faster, the EcoBoost F150 or the 5.0L V8 F150?

Both engines are rated at nearly the same HP.
The 3.5L has somewhat better torque than the 5.0L

But all the 5.0L guy are raving about how strong the new engine is compared to the outgoing 5.4L. Not that I care a whole lot about drag racing my 3.5L which is currently on order, but how's the thing going to run compared to the 5.0L?

Ideas?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM
81beast
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have driven both. The Ecoboost in a 4x4 XLT Screw w/ 3.55s felt faster than the FX4 Scab 5.0 w/ 3.73s. The EB has a very flat feeling powerband that comes on very strong down low. You can feel the power building through the rpms in the 5.0 but it just doesn't have the torque. It's more than somewhat better when the EB peaks at 2500 and holds that through the rpms.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 PM
austincobra
New User
A picture is worth a thousand words...

Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
81beast
Junior User
I know this has been brought up before, but, that graph is not scaled the same for each engine. They really make that 14lb/ft difference between the EB and 6.2 look so much bigger than the 40lb/ft difference between the EB and 5.0.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
savage250
Tuned
Seminary, are you selling your F250 for a new F150?

I've got a 3.5 on order in an FX4 myself, expecting it to walk all over my 5.4 in my F250. Haven't driven one yet though.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM
barry1me
Senior User
I just drove a EB supercrew Lariat 3.55s and 20s as well as a 5.0L supercrew FX4 with 20s.

Thoughts on each....I want to know how accuracte the fuel economy gague on each of these trucks are compared to the older trucks...my 2010 is fairly accurate. I hand calculate and most the time the computer it is within less then .5mpg of hand calculated. Also I would like to know if Ford has a break in period for the EB engine. With that being said this is what I thought

EB Lariat. The low end torque is 'diesel like'. I have owned 3 6.0L powerstrokes, 2 Duramaxs, and an 08 6.4L powerstroke. This is by far the most diesel like gas engine I have ever driven. I have read some people say that there was a lag from a dead dig....I didnt notice that what so ever. If you want to feel lag, go drive any diesel on the market, this engine has minimum lag. From a dead Dig you get major wheel hop out of the lariat, kinda annoying. from 0-60 its so quiet, and smooth its hard to get a feel for how fast its moving....till you look at the speedo. I wanted to drive similar loops with the EB and the 5.0l, as well as similar driving techniques. The only thing I would say that I wasnt understanding was the highway fuel economy. One of my favorite features of this engine is its diesel like getup and go on the highway. I could be driving 70mph and give it some gas and it would build torque and accelerate to 80 without dropping out of OD. The 5.0l, or 5.4l can not do this. I reset the fuel mileage calculator on the highway and I couldnt get anymore then 12mpg from 75-80mph on flat land. I drove for about 10 miles of highway. Now when I drove on a 3 mile stretch at 55-60mph the computer showed 22-24mph. Which is great.

5.0L FX4. this engine sounds awesome. It pulls RPMs very strong till red line. bottom end torque is good, but doesnt hit as hard, and as fast as the EB. But the exhaust note almost makes up for it. This is a very fun engine to drive. Comparing it to my 2010 5.4L FX4 it would deffinatley outrun it in a race, but trailer pulling capability is still out for question. Fuel mileage seemed much better then EB on highway from 75-80mph. I could get 14-16mpg in those driving conditions. I did the same exact driving loop as I did on the EB engine. Then once I got off the highway I did the same 55-60mph 3 mile stretch. The computer gave me 20-22mpg in that case.

Take away from this....I would pottentially like to get a 2011 F150 and sell my 2010 F150 if I understand some things. If the EB engine can not get over 12-13mpg on highway then its worse then my 2010 F150 with 5.4L in those conditions. That is a show stopper for me, as I typically pull a trailer, or snowmobile in bed for long distances at 75+mph. Granted the EB power is better then my current 5.4L but the 5.4L has plenty of power already. If I cant get the fuel economy that the EPA has gave this engine then its not worth the upgrade for me. For some people that have an older truck it will not matter as much to them, but since I have a 2010 with 6K miles on it, it needs to perform in fuel economy for me to make the upgrade

Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by barry1me
I just drove a EB supercrew Lariat 3.55s and 20s as well as a 5.0L supercrew FX4 with 20s.

Thoughts on each....I want to know how accuracte the fuel economy gague on each of these trucks are compared to the older trucks...my 2010 is fairly accurate. I hand calculate and most the time the computer it is within less then .5mpg of hand calculated. Also I would like to know if Ford has a break in period for the EB engine. With that being said this is what I thought

EB Lariat. The low end torque is 'diesel like'. I have owned 3 6.0L powerstrokes, 2 Duramaxs, and an 08 6.4L powerstroke. This is by far the most diesel like gas engine I have ever driven. I have read some people say that there was a lag from a dead dig....I didnt notice that what so ever. If you want to feel lag, go drive any diesel on the market, this engine has minimum lag. From a dead Dig you get major wheel hop out of the lariat, kinda annoying. from 0-60 its so quiet, and smooth its hard to get a feel for how fast its moving....till you look at the speedo. I wanted to drive similar loops with the EB and the 5.0l, as well as similar driving techniques. The only thing I would say that I wasnt understanding was the highway fuel economy. One of my favorite features of this engine is its diesel like getup and go on the highway. I could be driving 70mph and give it some gas and it would build torque and accelerate to 80 without dropping out of OD. The 5.0l, or 5.4l can not do this. I reset the fuel mileage calculator on the highway and I couldnt get anymore then 12mpg from 75-80mph on flat land. I drove for about 10 miles of highway. Now when I drove on a 3 mile stretch at 55-60mph the computer showed 22-24mph. Which is great.

5.0L FX4. this engine sounds awesome. It pulls RPMs very strong till red line. bottom end torque is good, but doesnt hit as hard, and as fast as the EB. But the exhaust note almost makes up for it. This is a very fun engine to drive. Comparing it to my 2010 5.4L FX4 it would deffinatley outrun it in a race, but trailer pulling capability is still out for question. Fuel mileage seemed much better then EB on highway from 75-80mph. I could get 14-16mpg in those driving conditions. I did the same exact driving loop as I did on the EB engine. Then once I got off the highway I did the same 55-60mph 3 mile stretch. The computer gave me 20-22mpg in that case.

Take away from this....I would pottentially like to get a 2011 F150 and sell my 2010 F150 if I understand some things. If the EB engine can not get over 12-13mpg on highway then its worse then my 2010 F150 with 5.4L in those conditions. That is a show stopper for me, as I typically pull a trailer, or snowmobile in bed for long distances at 75+mph. Granted the EB power is better then my current 5.4L but the 5.4L has plenty of power already. If I cant get the fuel economy that the EPA has gave this engine then its not worth the upgrade for me. For some people that have an older truck it will not matter as much to them, but since I have a 2010 with 6K miles on it, it needs to perform in fuel economy for me to make the upgrade
Something sounds wrong there. Every report that I have read said that it was easy to obtain over 20 on the hwy. The Ford rep's driving the trucks across the country for the test drives were reporting mid 20's. Either you didn't reset it properly or something is wrong.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
kyoshosp2
New User
i drove both and the Eb is def faster. i am normally in super chargded mustangs and i was really impressed with the Eb. i was seeing 19-20 @ 70mph in the 5.0 and same road 23 in the Eb @ 70...

Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Something sounds wrong there. Every report that I have read said that it was easy to obtain over 20 on the hwy. The Ford rep's driving the trucks across the country for the test drives were reporting mid 20's. Either you didn't reset it properly or something is wrong.
I wish I could say there is, and I hope I am wrong. I reset both trucks once I got them to 75+mph. I drove both between 77-80mph. By the way Fords Reps reported mid 20s on the new 6.7L powerstroke also....well guess what they are not getting even in the 20s in real life. Im not knocking the EB motor, its awesome but on my brief observation the fuel economy wasnt good for 75+ mph.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 AM
austincobra
New User
Originally Posted by 81beast
I know this has been brought up before, but, that graph is not scaled the same for each engine. They really make that 14lb/ft difference between the EB and 6.2 look so much bigger than the 40lb/ft difference between the EB and 5.0.

Redrew the curves in Visio based on an overlay of the original curves then repositioned them based on the assumption that the gap between the 3.5L and the 5.0L is 40 ft-lbs. Can't be sure if the scaling is right without a second data point for each. Like the 1000 RPM would be nice. Anyway, it should be more accurate than the one Ford Marketing produced.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
austincobra
New User
Oh...in my previous post with my modified torque curve chart, each horizontal line represents 20 ft/lbs or torque.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by savage250
Seminary, are you selling your F250 for a new F150?
No- I'm adding to my Ford stable. This 2011 F150 is going to the wife.

Originally Posted by 81beast
I have driven both. The Ecoboost in a 4x4 XLT Screw w/ 3.55s felt faster than the FX4 Scab 5.0 w/ 3.73s.
Thanks for the report!

I just drove a EB supercrew Lariat 3.55s and 20s as well as a 5.0L supercrew FX4 with 20s. [snip]
Thank you very much for your extensive comparison. I hope the power and fuel economy is what FoMoCo marketing is hyping it up to be. I suppose I'll find out in a couple of months.

Originally Posted by austincobra
Redrew the curves in Visio based on an overlay of the original curves then repositioned them based on the assumption that the gap between the 3.5L and the 5.0L is 40 ft-lbs.
Awesome- Thanks!

I appreciate all your comments so far. I'll be eager to hear more stories as I'm seeing a few more EcoBoost trucks trickle in all the time.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 PM
barry1me
Senior User
I would still do the EB motor...ford has a lot running on this drivetrain, and they will over engineer it so that it doesnt fall on its face.....cough cough (remember sick point oh!) I loved my 6.0L PSs though.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 AM
comadvan
Senior User
Ive driven the Eb in my SHO since 09 and drove one in 08.. I love it.. My SHO weighs 4200lbs and its quick! Mine is over 425hp now and in the spring will have over 450chp..

It comes out of the hole like a rocket and is very smooth, like any motor you have to find its sweet spot. I did get caught with my pants down once at about 68-69mph where it would not down shift and lagged a bit.. but other than that im extremely happy. Biggest thing that I had to do with my sho was change the shift points. They let the tq pull you around.. meaning at 35mph im in 5th gear with stock programing and going up a hill I had to kick it down and it dropped 2-3 gears.. I changed all of that in my tuning and I think its a million times better now. at 35 im holding nicely in 3rd maybe 4th depending on how much throttle im giving it. I also only see 22-23 mpg in the SHO, so I cant see where it would be 15 in a truck...

Ive been in the dyno labs and seen some of the durability testing and they should last a LONG time. I have a few trucks, 1 being a 04 f150 5.4 3v. and in all honesty that motor in stock form is the worst motor I have driven in a Ford product in 25 years of driving them.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 AM
austincobra
New User
I would still do the EB motor...ford has a lot running on this drivetrain, and they will over engineer it so that it doesnt fall on its face.....cough cough (remember sick point oh!) I loved my 6.0L PSs though.

"Will"?! Lets go with "HAVE"!

I was watching the full teardown videos on youtube and was surprised when they discussed the bottom end that includes 6 bolt mains and a crank girdle/windage tray. Heck, my stroked 351c (408ci) with 425+ ft/lbs only has a two bolt main. But then again, it's a Cleveland.

Here are some shots for those who haven't seen it.

Quick Reply: Performance: 3.5L vs 5.0L